Homemade 18 kWh ESS with Hyundai Kona batteries and Victron Multiplus 2 GX 48V

Topics concerning storage of renewable energy e.g. home battery systems
Zapatero

Homemade 18 kWh ESS with Hyundai Kona batteries and Victron Multiplus 2 GX 48V

Post by Zapatero »

My energy supplier raised the price for 1 kWh of Energy from 0,27 EUR to 0,67 EUR. I then sold my 10 kWh Senec energy storage and decided to built my own, bigger 18kWh and better ESS.

I used a 19" server rack with rack inserts where the batteries are mounted on. For controlling the ESS i bought a Victron Multiplus 2 GX 48v. It's a 14S3P system with 218Wh for each cell. 2 of the 14S3P packs are in parallel. It's fairly easy to upgrade to two more for a total capacity of 36 kWh.

The BMS is a Daly BMS RS485, can Bus, Bluetooth and the ability to parallel the packs.

To achieve the 14 s pack i used a whole 10s3p out of the Kona and cut another one down to 4s3p. Of course i took the batteries out for cutting it!!!

I used threated rods and Aluminium bars to apply compression to the batteries as in the 4S configuration it's not properly there anymore.

More pictures to follow
PXL_20221104_152959194.jpg
PXL_20221104_152954245.jpg
PXL_20221104_152944543.jpg
EV_Builder

Re: Homemade ESS with Hyundai Kona batteries

Post by EV_Builder »

Nice setup! It's one fully supported by our ESS edition :)
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Jhol3284

Post by Jhol3284 »

Hey I’m new to the tech part of this I know my limitations I’m looking for some advice help or direction on a new project about a year ago I saw some one that had a off grid cabin totally relying on power from a Toyota Prius I would like to do something very similar to this I purchased a 2010 Prius my plan is to pour a concrete pad remove wheels and sit the car on a permanent stand approximately 36”off the floor remove any thing from the body that doesn’t have to be door roof hatch fenders the building will match the cabin I have guess it will resemble a very large dog house now with all the unnecessary information and rambling I really need to know how or what I need to do to take power from the Toyota and marry it to the power service to my cabin. The man that has the setup I want to copy isn’t willing to talk about how his setup works and the only way that I would have even got to see this is he bought a 1000 gallon propane tank from me and I delivered it and saw his little power plant. From what I could tell it looks like he splice into the wires that went to the ac drive motor and from there to his fuse panel?
paaa

Post by paaa »

Make sure to have expansion sensor for those kona lg chems , some of them had a habit of swelling and catching on fire hence the recall on some of them. Think it was a cell tab folding issue.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Thanks for the hint.
Could you elaborate:
paaa wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:16 am ......Think it was a cell tab folding issue.
I don't quite understand "tab folding " in this context

Thanks, Philip
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Meanwhile the system is running and i'm more than pleased with the functionality of the Victron Multiplus 2 GX device. With this device it is definately possible to retrofit a ESS (Energy Storage System) into any existing solar grid installation.
I now have a tariff for energy that is billed by the hour. On my energy meter i installed a little device that reads the values optically and sends it to the energy provider via WiFi. Due to the fact that photovoltaic energy is barely there at the moment (winter in Germany) i set the ESS up that it charges from the power grid every night until a certain SoC. So i get the cheaper energy all day long (35-49 cents at night compared to 65 - 90 cents during the day).

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Very cool! This is exactly what Manny of us want to achieve!
paaa

Post by paaa »

Zapatero wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:01 am Thanks for the hint.
Could you elaborate:

I don't quite understand "tab folding " in this context

Thanks, Philip
This should point you in correct direction, basically a possible short inside battery due to tab folding and + ands - coming in contact with each other

https://insideevs.com/news/492387/hyund ... res-cause/
m.art.y

Re: Homemade 18 kWh ESS with Hyundai Kona batteries and Victron Multiplus 2 GX 48V

Post by m.art.y »

martinsomer wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:00 pm Totally agree with you. Because I have the same problems with this.
Could you give some details about those problems?
EdvartsW4E

Re: Homemade 18 kWh ESS with Hyundai Kona batteries and Victron Multiplus 2 GX 48V

Post by EdvartsW4E »

Soo,
How is the battery running?

To voltage are you pushing the cells?

Did/do you have any swelling on the modules noticed?

What do other experts think about the "shortcutting" problem? Do you think this can be prevented by using decreasing max voltage to 4.1 or even 4.0 ?

Best regards,
Edvarts
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

"All the defective cells came from LGES’s plant in Nanjing."

I guess the cells are marked and are traceable? :idea: