Leaf gen2 PDM charging reset loop  [SOLVED]

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
catphish

Leaf gen2 PDM charging reset loop

Post by catphish »

This week I went to assist someone with getting their Nissan Leaf gen2 stack (inverter + PDM) working with an STM32 zombieverter.

I can confirm that as of version 1.10A, the inverter communication and motor control works correctly.

However, battery charging with the PDM is not working. When an EVSE is connected, it is detected and the mode changes to AC charge as expected. The VCU performs a precharge and closes all contactors as expected.

However, it then immediately reverts to idle and opens contactors again. This process repeats in a loop as long as the EVSE is connected. Attached is a chart showing the mode, charge mode, and bus voltage, demonstrating the problem.

Configuration is as follows:

Code: Select all

CHGMODS=2=EXT_CAN
CHGCTRL=0=Enable
CHGINT=3=Leaf_PDM
Attachments
Screenshot at 2022-11-28 14-43-56.png
catphish

Re: Leaf gen2 PDM charging reset loop

Post by catphish »

After spending some time on this, I believe there are 2 problems:
1) A small bug in the code that caused messages not to be sent to the PDM when using both the PDM and the leaf inverter.
2) The PDM is expecting a Type 1 PP signal, but it's using a Type 2 socket, so it's getting the wrong PP signal.

A proposed patch for (1) is here, but I won't request it be merged until I've confirmed that it's actually necessary: https://github.com/catphish/stm32-vcu/c ... 477b9f6c53
catphish

Re: Leaf gen2 PDM charging reset loop  [SOLVED]

Post by catphish »

This problem has now been resolved. I discovered 2 things:

1)The PE line on the charge socket wasn't connected. Obviously this made a mess of things and was the cause of the odd looping behaviour.
2) The patch above is necessary when using both the leaf PDM and leaf inverter. I have submitted a pull request for this.
3) Despite my assumption to the contrary, It appears that the PDM is compatible with Type 2 PP lines without needing any adaption.
franky19

Re: Leaf gen2 PDM charging reset loop

Post by franky19 »

Hi to all, new "builder here".

Sorry for the silly question but how do I apply the patch? I have a Leaf gen 3 full stack/type2 charger/zombieverter and the behaviour is the same, VCU mode/charge type changes, but the inverter sits on idle forever.
Alternatively if catphish would kindly share his patched .bin I could test it in my rig.

Thanks.

Franky