Nissan Leaf Gen3 inverter

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
vin

Re: Nissan Leaf Gen3 inverter

Post by vin »

So I've managed to replay some can messages to the Leaf Stack and OMG I scared the hell out of myself LOL, It just took off, luckily I only played replayed for a short time and at 100ms, I realised that sending the same messages for 5ms will just prolong the playback, which can make things very intense. Anyways,

Question,

Is it possible to convert the throttle CAN messages from a BMW to the LEAF's EV CAN bus? And how do I even start please?

As always appreciate the gurus on the forum.

Thanks
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

yes. zombiverter or some board working as a canbus man in the middle.

the basic throttle messages are the same for gen1, 2 and 3 leaf inverters.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
vin

Post by vin »

Bratitude wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:26 am yes. zombiverter or some board working as a canbus man in the middle.

the basic throttle messages are the same for gen1, 2 and 3 leaf inverters.
Thanks Bratitude, I thought of it, but just wondering weather it’s a bit of an overkill considering is’s only going to be specific used for transferring/converting CAN messages. I’m not aware of any man-in-the middle boards, which actually make sense, any any ideas on any particular ones that are already around? I get the feeling there will be one in the forum, guess I need to drill through an see. But any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

a Arduino with a can interface. due or teensy with a can transiver. arber has a nice can board based around a due i think
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
vin

Post by vin »

So, I thought I do some testing with an Arduino Due on the Gen 3 Stack, I’ve programmed the Arduino Due and got things connected.

Question: Is it possible to use the Olimex ESP 32 Wi-Fi module to access the data on the Due?

Would it be transferring information over to the open inverter web GUI?

I’ve connected the Olimex to pin 16 and 17 in the Due, but don’t seem to get anything coming through. Olimex is flashing as if it’s receiving data, however there is no info on the Web interface.

Any ideas?
vin

Post by vin »

Hi All

Just a quick update on the process of operating this leaf. Got the it it all spinning using the Due, still working on the Throttle pedal setup. Got a little video here check it out :)

stinkydiver73

Post by stinkydiver73 »

Hi! I try to spin up a gen3 inverter+motor with 320VDC from the mains for testing. I have no wire harness and the pinout in the doc don't tell the polarities of the resolver signals. So I started try all the combinations (i think 8 is enough). The first two did nothing, with the 3. the shaft tried rotating back and forwrad. Rotated one more wirepair (4. combination). It's worked, but the potentiometer input was noisy, the rotation was not smooth. After few seconds the mains breaker went off, it was scary. Added a filter capacitor to the analog input, the signal is much smoother, but the motor no longer starts. I'm afraid I killed the inverter, probably overvoltage due to the sudden unintended breaks. But the system still works as a DC generator, on rotating the shaft with hand, there is 5-6VDC, same as before, the IGBT-s are no short circuits. The board still communicating, start sending the 0x1DA, 0x120, 0x55a messages as soon I give 12V on the power ON pin, no need to send any can command. I watch everything over wifi with savvycan , there is an esp32 devboard with the ESP32RET firmware on the can bus. I sending the commands with an stm32bluepill, I ported the arduino code, I will upload it.
Is it possible to read trouble codes from the inverter? It's not responding to the UDS scan for me.
Jestroman

Post by Jestroman »

Ive been enjoying 6 months or so with the 145kw setting on my 24kwh leaf, semislick wider front tyres have helped big time with traction. I have the aluminium panel version leaf which may have been on the JDM veraions only ? i recently removed the rear seats, they are heavy at 22kg. I managed just on 1400kg on the weigh bridge, so its fairly quick now, managed a low 6 seconds to 60mph. Huge difference from stock. The throttle map is beatiful and responsive. Battery so far hasnt been concerned running higher demand.

So far no one has managed to break the 400a bracket,

Hunting through on kavaser i noticed X1DB then LB_Current min is -400 , the only reference i could find to that golden number.

Dala did write some code to fool the VCM into seeing 40kw less been drawn from the battery, but this threw a full error when reaching 400a.

From what i am told the e+ will only deliver 180kw over 70kmh or so.

180kw will turn a light leaf into an animal,
woleg

Post by woleg »

vin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:42 pm Hi All

Just a quick update on the process of operating this leaf. Got the it it all spinning using the Due, still working on the Throttle pedal setup. Got a little video here check it out :)

If you want a cheap and fair quality board for this in the future try out these: https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Canfilter

You can pick them up for $15 from the usual Chinese outlets. STM32F105, dual can with transceivers on-board, 12v input, 2 GPIO and 1 UART. They are sold as ODO tampering devices.
jonbowes

Post by jonbowes »

Round 22 pin inverter connectors can be purchased on AliExpress, they are used for CVT transmissions on many Nissan vehicles.

Search for Yazaki part number 7283-8750-30 or just search for "Nissan stepless CVT connector"...

The one I bought in UK was £11 shipped from China via AliExpress and came with full set of wires already installed all the same colour as it happens but I can work with that.
Attachments
Gen 3 round plug AliExpress.JPG
Gen 3 round plug AliExpress.JPG
jonbowes

Post by jonbowes »

I recently started project to convert Lotus Elise S1 with EM57 motor, 5SA0A inverter, probably CATL 52kwh pack and BMW i3 LIM CCS charging.

So far I have inverter and motor linked to Arduino and Leaf Spy Pro... I have set resolver offset and mostly cleared DTC's. Having some trouble clearing P318E, P3197 and U1000 DTC's.

Has anyone got any tip s on which CAN ID's I need to send total? I am attempting to send 50B, 11A, 1D4, 3B8 and 5EB currently.

Possibly I am incorrectly composing the messages? This is my first attempt at writing Arduino code, working with electric motors etc... I am a real newbie!

Update, I found error in my code now I have removed P3197. But still got others!

Update No.2, Now also sending 4B9 this has managed to remove P318E DTC form list. Now left with P31AD, U1000 and P0A2D (this one probably my dodgy wiring LoL)

Update No.3, Added send of 1F2. Mostly no more DTC's. However it looks like noise is creeping in causing intermittent U1000 and eventually P31AD. Need to add shielding to resolver wiring this may help. Didn't have shielding to hand when making up test wiring harness.

Update No.4, Motor spinning after some re-wiring of dodgy connections to resolver! Gearbox adaptor plate CAD in progress.

Thanks in advance of any input,

Jon
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

I'm continuing kelju's work on the openinverter adapter board for the gen 3 leaf inverter. It's mostly done but there are a few things that I'd like to verify before making some boards. I do not have a gen 3 inverter to check these things on, looking for some help with this.

Info is here currently,
viewtopic.php?p=61876#p61876
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

If anyone is willing to help with confirming pin out or sharing images of the inverter controls input harness it would be appreciated!
viewtopic.php?p=62196#p62196
Embraer145

Post by Embraer145 »

Anyone use this engine with Zombie Verter? I'm running into issues with Firmware only being for Gen1, not the Gen2
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

It runs with any generation
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9