Show me your cooling and heating setup (i want to gather this for the wiki)

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Zapatero

Show me your cooling and heating setup (i want to gather this for the wiki)

Post by Zapatero »

Hi folks,

It came up to my mind that it could be of great interest, if we'd have a coolong and HVAC threat. Not about Canbus integration or HV integration - how did you solve the mechanical part.

I invite everyone to show off your setup with a few pictures:

Component cooling:
- cooling setup for the components, what's connected?
- pump used, mounted where? Connected on ignition or smarter setup?
- filler neck used?
- did you use an expansion tank?
- dies your system bleed easily?

Heating:
- heater used
- where did you connect the hoses
- which filler neck did you use
- which expansion tank, if any, did you use.

Cooling:
-AC used
- how did you connect the new AC compressor to your car side hoses?
johu
Site Admin

Re: Show me your cooling and heating setup (i want to gather this for the wiki)

Post by johu »

Of course :)

top to bottom: Charger -> Inverter -> Motor -> Pump -> Radiator and back to charger

Bleed line back into reservoir forked off between radiator and charger. Reservoir forked in between motor and pump.
1669647289961.jpg
Pump: 1K0965561J bottom of the line Bosch aux pump - low power consumption - always runs during charging/driving
Radiator: heater core that my neighbour found in his garage. No cooling fan!
Reservoir: stock VW in original position
1669647289941.jpg
System bleeds semi-easy, probably because the charger is at the same height has the reservoir. Simply driving with the non-bled system seems to shake the bubbles out.
I don't need to run any fan while charging, the thermal capacity and surface area of all connected components is obviously sufficient.
The cooling performance is sufficient for non-flamboyant driving. Above sustained 140 or 150 kph the motor temperature rises rather quickly (though I haven't tested that with proper field weakening). Climbing steep hills with 5 people in the car is no problem to my surprise.

The car can even be driven without circulating coolant as long as torque demand is low.

UPDATE - heating system:
For heating I use a 230V heater that goes by the name of "OWL-4S". It has an integrated pump and thermostat that turns off at 80°C. It is run via a 230V inverter that sources from the HV battery (and doubles for V2L). I can also plug it into an outlet directly for preheating. Simple plumbing, heater - heat exchanger - heater. Attached a bit of extra hose on a 3-way piece that is used for filling and expansion. The de-airing tube from the heater core closes it off. Sorry for the messy picture.
1669725784719.jpg
It is not very powerful (2 kW) and it takes quite long to heat up the car but is then sufficient for keeping it heated.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

In my Pug i use two loops.

1. drivetrain cooling loop:
pump(lowest location) - inverter - motor - DCDC - charger - radiator(with header tank)
....................................................................... I
...................................................................... O
....................................................................... I
................................................................. Header tank

Since hose routing runs all along the car i simply used straight 18mm copper tubes in the exhaust channel. Charger is not active while driving so its location is not significant. Inverter and DCDC should be in front of the motor, but my setup works as well.
On the way back to radiator i have installed a small mixing bottle from Ampera with 3 ways. That helps with dearing enourmously. There is allways some air left there, but at least non of it stays in various components. The way i do deair is to opoen the header tank, open the radiator reservoir, wait for coolant level to rise in small reservoir, close it and the add coolant to the header tank.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... ng-system/
Second loop is for heating. I just rebuilt it and have not tested it beyond webasto yet.

2. Heating loop:
Pump - Webasto - deair valve - Outlander heater - heat matrix
................................................................... I
................................................................... I
............................................................. Header tank

Here i use DIY deair valve. I use copper tube 18mm. I drill 8mm hole in the middle. I buy small brass cylinder turn valve. I solder the valve to the tube with extensive use of and fit it directly to the highest location in the system.

For pump I use 12V Touareg pump P/N 7L0965561D
I dont turn the pump off. It is connected to Enable signal relay.
I use OEM stock fans with stock AC radiator. However for drivetrain radiator i used one small radiator from Fiat Uno car and it has its own small heated tank.
Sadly i was working alone and i dont have any photos of the latest build.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/tag/heater/
Attachments
51Wd8GMCA4L._AC_SL1004_.jpg
joromy

Post by joromy »

I'm still very happy with my TEC heater/cooler after many years.
Using tesla model S batteries and original cooling loop.

https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221
Thomas A. Edison “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"