Replace L110 GS450h oil pump

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
CaliMountains

Replace L110 GS450h oil pump

Post by CaliMountains »

Let's figure out a replacement for the noisy, troublesome external oil pump on the GS450h L110 transmission. I'd like to use one, but not with this problem. Don't make Damien figure this out, he's got enough to do. :)

Here are the facts (which will be updated and collected here, to not have to search the thread)
* There's a second set of optional oil lines sealed with bolts instead of banjo fittings.
* The oil pump's mount has high and low pressure, which Damien said may be good for a 3D printed connector to a different pump, but asked that someone else do it. (been a while since I heard that, not sure which video)
But this inspired another solution:
*** Build an adapter (maybe just plate steel and a hose fitting) to use the current electric oil pump's mount for only the high pressure input from an external pump. Then run an inline OEM pump of similar specifications but not noise. Run a banjo adapter from the lower unused fitting to the pump to the new high pressure input where the old electric pump was.

Pressure required to properly function: ? (Damien said he had stock pump working at 30% duty cycle)
OEM pumps with necessary pressure: ?
OEM pumps that can be adapted to inline use: ?
OEM pumps so worth using, that an adapter should be designed for use here?
Would someone please design the adapter, that requires no modification to the transmission?

I think that defines the project. Anyone want to work on this?
Please provide corrections to my secretarial work.
Uppertown

Re: Replace L110 GS450h oil pump

Post by Uppertown »

If it helps I've (hopefully) attached some CAD of the oil pump gasket face. BMW use a pump on their auto gearboxes that might be suitable P/N 7834496 from what I can determine this should be fine with the temperature , pressure and type of oil but I haven't found anything about controlling it. They are expensive new - about £450 but are available cheaply second hand. I've got one ordered and will report what if anything i can work out plus CAD of the mounting face when I get some spare time.
Attachments
oil-pump-gasket-face-20mm.stp
(102.44 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Uppertown

Post by Uppertown »

IMG_20220927_123913_resized_20220927_124131648.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

the BMW S62 engine uses a pair of electric oil scavenge pumps that just need 12v. We had a thread on this a while ago. Do a quick search and should pop up.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Bustedprop

Post by Bustedprop »

I recently acquired a transmission without a pump and figured it would be a good opportunity to machine an adapter plate for an alternate. My guess is that the left port is the pressure side and the smaller is the suction.

Is it safe to assume that a couple crossover ports need to be made from these two pockets to the suction side?

Since I don't have a pump in my hands I can't tell exactly but it looks like the smaller odd shaped port on the pump goes to nowhere.

The BMW pump looks pretty strait forward to mount but I am also considering a remote pump with a line set to the adapter plate.

Thanks for any insight.
Attachments
pump.jpg
oil-pumpplatesld.jpg
IMG_20221011_130042.jpg
Bustedprop

Post by Bustedprop »

Bustedprop wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:56 am I recently acquired a transmission without a pump and figured it would be a good opportunity to machine an adapter plate for an alternate. My guess is that the left port is the pressure side and the smaller is the suction.

Is it safe to assume that a couple crossover ports need to be made from these two pockets to the suction side?

Since I don't have a pump in my hands I can't tell exactly but it looks like the smaller odd shaped port on the pump goes to nowhere.

The BMW pump looks pretty strait forward to mount but I am also considering a remote pump with a line set to the adapter plate.

Thanks for any insight.
Made some progress. If anyone wants one let me know. No pump yet.
Attachments
IMG_20221015_201828.jpg
IMG_20221015_183908.jpg
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Ooh, shiny!
Uppertown

Post by Uppertown »

Looks good, keep us posted.
Techshop

Post by Techshop »

Bustedprop wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:40 pm Made some progress. If anyone wants one let me know. No pump yet.
Looks like you're a CNC guy too. Nice work.

Do we know the pump curve for the original L110 pump? (Flow on the X axis and pressure on the Y axis)
Perhaps That helps in finding a suitable 3rd party replacement?

Most power-packs I've encountered are stupidly loud and far more bulky than the OE Lexus pump.
Maybe a common power steering pump with a scabbed on brushed DC motor can do this in a less offensive way?

The flowrate must be small for this transmission while meeting the minimum pressure is probably critical.
Bustedprop

Post by Bustedprop »

If anyone wants to keep pushing this forward I just listed adapters on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/175936880476 My apologies for such a delay. I recently acquired an Triumph TR4 that I hope to make some progress this winter. I would also consider bartering for some assistance with my ZombieVerter board.