Prius Gen 3 Inverter Logic Board Support Thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
m.art.y

Re: Prius Gen 3 Inverter Logic Board Support Thread

Post by m.art.y »

FFMan wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 pm i've added a dump of my params in case you can spot anything. Deadtime is set to zero, i got the impression this was right for Prius.
Deadtime at 0 will kill prius gen3 inverter. I think I used 60. Which motor is that you are running? Has it got a parking lock engaged?
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

https://openinverter.org/parameters/view.html?id=18 are my slightly out of date params, my deadtime is 130, my il1 and il2 gains are higher than yours.

Are you sure your motor has 4 pole pairs and the resolver has 2? You're hooked up the the MG2 resolver and MG2 phases, right?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Bigpie wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:32 pm https://openinverter.org/parameters/view.html?id=18 are my slightly out of date params, my deadtime is 130, my il1 and il2 gains are higher than yours.

Are you sure your motor has 4 pole pairs and the resolver has 2? You're hooked up the the MG2 resolver and MG2 phases, right?
@ Bigpie Is yours a prius gen3 motor and gen3 inverter ? You sent me your params so i could try some of those, but i got it in my head your setup was different, i maybe wrong.

Those params are what Damien states in the long foc tune video, but he has gen2 gearbox and earlier board i think.

Definately MG2 hooked up.
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

m.art.y wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:17 pm Deadtime at 0 will kill prius gen3 inverter. I think I used 60. Which motor is that you are running? Has it got a parking lock engaged?
prius gen3 motor. parking mech is removed from the outside. rotor spins freely by hand
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

i see mention here of 'making sure you have some current control' and 'calibrating the current sensors' but i'm not sure what this means.

I am following the video and Damien goes from sine f/w to foc and into the resolver identification. Is there a step related to current sensors i have missed other than setting pinswap which for this inverter motor combo seems to be pwmswap23.

So tonight i tried various pin pair combinations on the resolver, and also swapped to a different psu as I note that there is little current draw on the hv side what ever i do. Now running 90v lipo so no deliberate current limiting in place. Maybe i should remove the ebay 60a ammeter as a test ?

I pushed manualid up to 30 and the draw at 80v is about 2.5 amps and the motor barely does anything.

I think tomorrow i'll increase the deadtime and go back to the sine f/w just to test the inverter and motor, and gom from there.

appreciate the help :-)
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Still trying on this -can't now help wondering if the question of whether i need to weld the gears up or not is important here and don't seem to have a defintive answer yet for gen3 gearbox. Latuta makes no mention of it, but his gen3 set seems to spin in foc mode without issue. Maybe my gearbox is duff, it was after all from a breaker.

To go back to last known good, i loaded V4.90 sine software. MG2 turns great on 0.5 amp @ 90v :-)

With my resolvers wired up I get this graph
Mine-Option2.PNG
which to me looks close enough to Bigpies known good graph above, especially given motor is hand cranked to generate this.

When hand cranking the motor, it sometimes 'grips' and i get a resolver graph, othertimes it seems to 'let go' and i'm turning nothing. I wonder if sometimes the gearset turns one side instead of the other, its like a 3 way split inside if i understand correctly.

So then i load up foc, set the params back (resolver etc), precharge, bypass bulb and set manualid to 5. I get some clonks, the motor tries to turn, but then is free to turn by hand with some whining from inside.

Do i have a duff gearbox, do i need to weld it up or is it still something else ?
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

FFMan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:41 pm Do i have a duff gearbox, do i need to weld it up or is it still something else ?
Definitely something else. Since it's not pulling all the available current from the battery means you have current control so that's ok. So what's left now probably other settings and resolver. You need to make sure pole pairs/res pole pairs are correct for your motor and then search for correct resolver combination.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

viewtopic.php?t=1735 has some params attached and details of the psd
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Bigpie wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:16 pm viewtopic.php?t=1735 has some params attached and details of the psd
ok - i see yours is welded and gen3. I think this is a requirement.

I saw welding covered in a damien video somewhere but that was gen2. Will it be obvious when i take it apart or do you have any advice from when you did it.

Did you mig it ?
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

FFMan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:40 pm ok - i see yours is welded and gen3. I think this is a requirement.
If it spins on sine means it will also spin on foc once you get the settings and resolver correct. Welding has nothing to do with it. You weld for a different reason which is combined output.
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

I now think the welding might be a red herring. As was stated if it works in sine mode the mechanical connection is there.

So mulling this over, i set all my params to be same as Bigpie and got a pretty even rotation on manualid=3 at 90v (drawing about an amp). Not perfect (the occasional clunk) but a big improvement :-) (see video)

It wouldn't work when the direction was flipped, and whilst when tuned properly it should work in either direction, as i am keeping the BMW gearbox, reverse will be available via that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w3tw6zunhilq ... s.MOV?dl=0

is this now a question of following the syncof tuning steps ?
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

Just a thought but is it possible to plot the resolver data while running on the sine software?

If so it would avoid the question on what the gears are doing while turning it manually and should give a clean sawtooth if wired correctly?

EDIT - probably NOT a good idea, the resolver signal would probably interfere with the sine software too. It would need a custom build to do what I was thinking.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Do you want a skype call at the weekend and go over it, see if we can get you spinning? I'm not an expert but sometimes it can help just talking through what you've done.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Bigpie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:28 pm Do you want a skype call at the weekend and go over it, see if we can get you spinning? I'm not an expert but sometimes it can help just talking through what you've done.
that would be much appreciated. i'll pm some details.
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Using gen3 inverter, was foc tuning a gen3 mg2 then it was raised that this would have inadequate power for my needs, so got hold off an Outlander rear motor.

Got the resolver identified and a good looking graph, but before i move to foc tuning i now get error:-

[6028]: WARN - HICUROFS1

i get this with no HV attached. I didn't get it before when working on the Prius motor, just wondering how i've managed to introduce this.
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Errors

It's a warning, I get it a lot and always have but not looked in to it.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Question involving power distribution in the gen three inverter.
Could I use this as my main power input, only because the power is directly connected to the igbt instead of going though the capacitor bus bar

prius gen 3 inverter circuits for Battery Power
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I'm closing this support thread as it has become too long to be useful. Please describe new issues in a new thread with a descriptive title (I NEED HELP is not descriptive!). Do not put unrelated issues into existing threads that describe a different topic.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9