Toyota/Lexus Inverter part numbers and generations

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
jalovick

Toyota/Lexus Inverter part numbers and generations

Post by jalovick »

Hi,

I've been struggling to find a reference, beyond what they look like, that maps the Toyota/Lexus inverter/converter units to a particular generation, so I can work out which Open Inverter/EVBMW board may be compatible with which inverter/converter.

As Toyota Camry's are used as Taxi's and for rideshare, and Prius-C's are also common, there are a ton of the inverter/converter and transaxles available.

Common Camry ones include:
G9200-33050, G9200-33100 and G9200-33101 from the 2009-2011 AHV40 Camry, and can also have G9201-33010 on another sticker on the side of the same unit labelled as being a Denso unit.

G9200-33171, G9200-33172 from the 2012-2017 AVV50R Camry (that I've seen).

In regards to the transaxles, the AHV40 Camry's typically have a P311 trans and a 04A axle, and the AVV50R Camry's typically have a P314 trans and a 03A axle. I assume to use those transaxles standalone, you'd need to weld the planetary gears, or can the input shaft just be locked off? I'm assume that they'd need to be welded.

I assume that the AVV50R's are Gen 3. Despite the different case, it looks similar to the Gen 3 Prius one based on the port locations.

Thanks

Jamie
Bassmobile

Re: Toyota/Lexus Inverter part numbers and generations

Post by Bassmobile »

jalovick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:08 pm In regards to the transaxles, the AHV40 Camry's typically have a P311 trans and a 04A axle, and the AVV50R Camry's typically have a P314 trans and a 03A axle. I assume to use those transaxles standalone, you'd need to weld the planetary gears, or can the input shaft just be locked off? I'm assume that they'd need to be welded.
Quickest way to get answers to these question is to dig in and buy one of these drive units and experiment with it to find out what works.
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

Bassmobile wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:11 pm Quickest way to get answers to these question is to dig in and buy one of these drive units and experiment with it to find out what works.
I'm a newbie to the EV game, spending money on a brain board and then an inverter that may not be compatible does not make sense. I'd prefer to do some research and get it right first time.

I'm happy to help research part numbers, etc., even do a WiKi, but I need a point of reference, such as the experience of others.

Jamie
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I'm not that knowledgeable, but I'll try:

1 - Are you familiar with the Gen2 and Gen3 wiki pages? I should redo them, make them more about the inverters and then make the various control projects their own pages that link off of that.

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Gen2_Board -- Gen2
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Gen3_Board -- Gen3

2 - Do you not know what generation vehicles belong to? That's easy to lookup, and it's at the top of the wiki pages.

3 - The Gen3 page above has a partial list of inverter models and control board numbers found inside. That might get you started.

4 - Is there a particular reason that a photo or an appearance or a generation (model year) is insufficient? They're easily distinguishable.
you'd need to weld the planetary gears, or can the input shaft just be locked off? I'm assume that they'd need to be welded.
I forget where there's discussion of this, but we went into some detail. I think here (maybe on the DIYEV forums...).

If you immobilize the input shaft you can cause a pretty significant RPM difference between MG1 and MG2. IIRC it really spins up MG1. If you weld the planetaries, you'll get a much more reasonable rate between the two.

Some generations of transaxles have two sets of primaries, some only have 1. (I think the Gen2 has 1, Gen3 has 2).

[Edited to add, you may find this thread useful: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=545 ]

The Lexus GS450H I believe Damien locked the input shaft on, but I'm not sure if that was a proof of concept or an actual best practice (versus welding the planetaries). [Edited - Kevin says it's fine to just lock the input shaft: viewtopic.php?p=7813#p7813 ]
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

Hi,

Since I posted, I did find the Wiki for the Gen 3 board, and saw the info covering some of the inverters, but the listed inverters aren't common or not available in Australia.

I got a bit bored over subsequent days and have tried to put together a list of inverters and which vehicles they're used in. I've been mainly using the US Toyota and Lexus parts site, and by searching for part numbers on the forum. It's looking like there are different part numbers for US manufactured components (I suspect the A in the G92A0 range is for US) vs Europe and Japan (both normal G9200 range).

Thus far, aside from casings that looking like pictures of Gen 3 inverters that I've seen, I don't have a real point of reference as to which is Gen 2 or Gen 3, outside of the original Prius ones shown on the Wiki pages or via Weber Auto, so I've done my best to label them. I've also started adding info for matching transaxles as I find them.

I've added all of the info to the OEM Toyota page at https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota. If someone who knows what boards suit what inverters could add a reference for each, that would be very helpful for me and others.

Jamie
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

Bassmobile wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:11 pm
jalovick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:08 pm In regards to the transaxles, the AHV40 Camry's typically have a P311 trans and a 04A axle, and the AVV50R Camry's typically have a P314 trans and a 03A axle. I assume to use those transaxles standalone, you'd need to weld the planetary gears, or can the input shaft just be locked off? I'm assume that they'd need to be welded.
Quickest way to get answers to these question is to dig in and buy one of these drive units and experiment with it to find out what works.
I've just bought myself a G9200-33171 inverter from a Toyota AVV50R Camry Hybrid (also used in the Lexus ES300h and Toyota Avalon Hybrid), as well as a G9200-52010 from a Prius C. I'll be taring these down in the coming weeks, and will be ordering at least one Auris/Yaris/Prius C control board. I'll eventually be testing these with Outlander PHEV rear motors.

The Camry inverter looks like:
IMG_3551.JPG
View of unit. Am curious what the connector is towards the bottom. The cable runs around the corner and into the bottom of the unit through a grommet.
IMG_3552.JPG
Part numbers
IMG_3553.JPG
View of MG1 and MG2 connectors towards the top of the image.
IMG_3554.JPG
Cooling loop and what appears to be the A/C HV and control connections.
IMG_3555.JPG
Loom connection

I'll post more photos once I pull it apart.

Jamie
Bassmobile

Post by Bassmobile »

jalovick wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:28 am I've just bought myself a G9200-33171 inverter from a Toyota AVV50R Camry Hybrid (also used in the Lexus ES300h and Toyota Avalon Hybrid)
-33020 is from an 2007-2011 Camry -
-33171 is from 2012-2016 Camry, Avalon and Lexus ES300H

Neither are compatible.
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

Bassmobile wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:19 pm
jalovick wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:28 am I've just bought myself a G9200-33171 inverter from a Toyota AVV50R Camry Hybrid (also used in the Lexus ES300h and Toyota Avalon Hybrid)
-33020 is from an 2007-2011 Camry -
-33171 is from 2012-2016 Camry, Avalon and Lexus ES300H

Neither are compatible.
Not compatible, or never tested?

Jamie
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

I have a G9200-33172 from a Toyota AVV50R. Looks identical to yours.
dukbilt

Post by dukbilt »

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in these AVV50 Camry items - they're cheap and plentiful! Do we need a separate thread for them?
dukbilt

Post by dukbilt »

johnspark and jalovick - have you had any success with your G9200-33171 inverters? Any information on the logic board?

I'm tempted to buy one (along with a P314 transmission) and start exploring.

I've tried to PM you, but I'm too noob to send yet... :(
bjp

Post by bjp »

Just wondering, did anyone make any progress on looking at using the AVV50 Camry inverter? I too am curious about the differences between these and the Aqua (Prius C) inverter. I've got myself a wrecked Aqua as a donor vehicle for a classic Mini conversion. I'm initially hoping to use a fairly small battery pack (150V?), as it will just be a round town car, but that means I might be wanting to drive the motor through the HV buck/boost module to be able to achieve higher speeds. Info I found on testing of Gen2 Prius system stated that the boost module can only handle the current from the hybrid battery - which in the case of the Aqua would be only around 15-20kW. So I'm wondering if I should instead be looking at picking up an inverter from a more powerful Toyota instead...

found this useful resource, its for a 2004 Prius, so my assumptions above are based on information in the report and I have extrapolated it for the Aqua based on comparing battery, ICE engine and electric motor sizes.

https://www.osti.gov/biblio/890029-eval ... ive-system

Also found this site had some useful info:

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/21-12 ... _tr_en.htm
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Hi Guys, here is some progress over the past week. I have a few of these inverters, but they all seem to have slightly different no.s. Hopefully not too different. Anyway, I have looked at the DC/DC converter for the 12V, because we need to know what battery voltage we can put on these inverters without damaging the 12V DC DC converter resistors (As was the case with the Prius and Yaris inverters). I have put all my comments into this pdf. Please feel very welcome to comment on this, then I will update this pdf. Kind regards,

Johnspark
Attachments
AVV50xDCDCG9200-33172 Converter.pdf
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 108 times
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

johnspark wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:14 amPlease feel very welcome to comment on this, then I will update this pdf. Kind regards,
I read it, but, don't know enough to critique. Thanks for contributing documentation, every little bit helps.