How to charge HV batteries off car?

Dan--T

How to charge HV batteries off car?

Post by Dan--T »

Hi, this is probably a newby question,. But what is the simplest way to charge HV automotive batteries up when they're not connected to the car?

I want to use my Lexus hybrid battery pack as a test battery to get things moving but I need to charge it up first,. And I guess I'll need to do the same once I have purchased my proper battery.

What is the recommended method?
(Please bear in mind I am not an electrical engineer so can't knock something up using a Prius inverter and some copper wire)

Thanks
Dan
ZooKeeper

Re: How to charge HV batteries off car?

Post by ZooKeeper »

For a hybrid pack, especially Toyota/Lexus ones, my suggestion would be one module at a time while secured in their case.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

As ZooKeeper said. You can either use a proper charger or just a simple lab power supply - those have both current and voltage control so they charge batteries safely, also they're generally useful for EV conversion work.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Isaac96 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:15 am As ZooKeeper said. You can either use a proper charger or just a simple lab power supply - those have both current and voltage control so they charge batteries safely, also they're generally useful for EV conversion work.
Yea, I know... so useful I am amassing a collection of them :ugeek:
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Dan--T wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:21 pm Hi, this is probably a newby question,. But what is the simplest way to charge HV automotive batteries up when they're not connected to the car?

I want to use my Lexus hybrid battery pack as a test battery to get things moving but I need to charge it up first,. And I guess I'll need to do the same once I have purchased my proper battery.

What is the recommended method?
(Please bear in mind I am not an electrical engineer so can't knock something up using a Prius inverter and some copper wire)

Thanks
Dan
See here is a hard core method, but it works for every kind of automotive battery you can imagine :).
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... r-charger/
You can get a smaller version autotransformer for single phase connection and it will work up to 300Vdc or so.

If you dont need to have a fast charging then i recommend you buy a simple PSU for voltage you need to get battery to.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

If they are in simple modules you can charge each module by themselves with a cheap lion charger from China land (if you open them up you can change the charge point voltage)
I did this 12 at a time to 3.75volts (45v) to put my modules into a storage state. I also monitored the BMS to be extra safe.
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Dan--T

Post by Dan--T »

Ok, I ideally didn't want to have to split open the battery pack but if that's the best/ only feasible way to do it I can.

So I think each lexus cell is 7.2v,. So I just need to buy a power supply capable of over 7.2v and do them all one at a time?
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Dan--T wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:42 pm So I think each lexus cell is 7.2v,. So I just need to buy a power supply capable of over 7.2v and do them all one at a time?
The modules are wired in series, the only way to do them all at once @ 7.2v is to turn every other one around so all the (-) & (+) terminals are on the same side.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

What about the prius gen 2 Inverter as charger? There's a thread and quite some work done. Needs some fine tuning and testing from what I understand. I hope to get into that part pretty soon as I too have a hybrid pack that needs recharging. If I understand correctly, if there is no bms, current and voltage has to be real low as the weakest modules are going to take most of the first phase of charging.
marcexec

Post by marcexec »

If you have to buy, I can recommend Meanwell LED power supplies. They come in various voltages and power levels and are current and voltage adjustable. I run a pair of waterproof HLGs to charge my bike overnight without issues (after switching to waterproof...).
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
Dxtawise

Post by Dxtawise »

I think you could use a bunch of LED power supplies connected in series for this job.