VW eGolf hardware

Forum on Volkswagen related hardware, so VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda etc.
arthur8

Re: VW eGolf hardware

Post by arthur8 »

arber333 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:37 pm You could use modules in parallel and with BMS connected just by CAN bus. Use SimpBMS and wire your harness from the GTE wires.

But i use those cells in my sola array with JK BMS wired for 12S. Problem is not with BMS. Inverter requires minimum 48V to return back to battery, which is to much for 12S Liion. I would need 16S to keep battery at optimal charge/discharge states for my application. I already have a plan to use Mazda LiPo cells for that.
Thanks for the help.

Looks good! But there is any alternative to SimpBMS? I found it a bit expensive where i live. It would cost more than i paid for the entire gte battery.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

arthur8 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:54 pm Thanks for the help.

Looks good! But there is any alternative to SimpBMS? I found it a bit expensive where i live. It would cost more than i paid for the entire gte battery.
I am developing a similar modular board with cheaper ESP32 chip. You may try to contribute by porting Teenys code to ESP32.
viewtopic.php?t=2256
arthur8

Post by arthur8 »

arber333 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:00 pm I am developing a similar modular board with cheaper ESP32 chip. You may try to contribute by porting Teenys code to ESP32.
viewtopic.php?t=2256
I have some experience with Arduino. Will take a look on this topic and do my best to help.

I was reading on another forum that those prismatic cells from golf GTE should to be always under pressure while charging/discharging (cannot find the forum link, but i read it some time ago). Is this true?
eee291

Post by eee291 »

They puff after just one cycle, even at low c rate (from experience)
I managed to make some 14s blocks out of them but with metal welded box, still works today.
arthur8

Post by arthur8 »

eee291 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:40 pm They puff after just one cycle, even at low c rate (from experience)
I managed to make some 14s blocks out of them but with metal welded box, still works today.
Nice to know. Thanks.

Can you post some photos of your work? I'm thinking to do the same with my cells.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

arthur8 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:54 pm Thanks for the help.

Sorry if I'm missing something here but for 14S couldn't you use an ebike BMS? The ANT BMS's are pretty good and allow you to monitor the pack via a mobile phone. Vorteck's VBMS software is only £10 and works great.
I need a bigger hammer!
arthur8

Post by arthur8 »

Alibro wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:00 pm Sorry if I'm missing something here but for 14S couldn't you use an ebike BMS? The ANT BMS's are pretty good and allow you to monitor the pack via a mobile phone. Vorteck's VBMS software is only £10 and works great.
Thanks for the help!

Yeah, i was thinking about using some external BMS. I was looking at the NEEY 4th generation. What do you think?

Actually i just need an balancer, i already have some arduino's monitoring my dc voltages for low/high voltage battery disconnect.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

arthur8 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:27 pm Thanks for the help!

Yeah, i was thinking about using some external BMS. I was looking at the NEEY 4th generation. What do you think?

Actually i just need an balancer, i already have some arduino's monitoring my dc voltages for low/high voltage battery disconnect.
I'm no expert in ebike BMS's so can't give proper advice but I've used a couple of cheap units from China and had no issues.
You could even try an active balancer to share the voltage across the pack rather than a passive BMS that just takes power from the highest cell.
Have a look through this thread
viewtopic.php?t=1603
I need a bigger hammer!
arthur8

Post by arthur8 »

Alibro wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:40 am I'm no expert in ebike BMS's so can't give proper advice but I've used a couple of cheap units from China and had no issues.
You could even try an active balancer to share the voltage across the pack rather than a passive BMS that just takes power from the highest cell.
Have a look through this thread
viewtopic.php?t=1603
Looks a good idea Alibro. Will read this topic.

I have ended up buying an active inductive balancer that i will review here when it arrives.

Thank you!
arthur8

Post by arthur8 »

Friends,
Do you guys know what is the correct voltage for those lithium polymer cells from the golf gte?

Ive read that they are Lithium nickel manganese cobalt (NMC). And from what i've found they have a 3.7 V nominal voltage with a 4.2 V maximum while charging. The same as 18650. This is correct?

Thanks.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

arthur8 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:31 pm Friends,
Do you guys know what is the correct voltage for those lithium polymer cells from the golf gte?

Ive read that they are Lithium nickel manganese cobalt (NMC). And from what i've found they have a 3.7 V nominal voltage with a 4.2 V maximum while charging. The same as 18650. This is correct?

Thanks.
Is this the same as yours?
https://www.secondlife-evbatteries.com/ ... amsung-sdi
I need a bigger hammer!
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

I have 2 Golf GTE packs, I charge to 4.15v. You can run SimpBMS on a Teensy with just a can transceiver for the GTE modules, it'll monitor the voltages and balancing.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
arthur8

Post by arthur8 »

Alibro wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:39 pm Is this the same as yours?
https://www.secondlife-evbatteries.com/ ... amsung-sdi
Hi,

Mine are made from Panasonic. There are exactly like this (not my photo):

Thanks
arthur8

Post by arthur8 »

Bigpie wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:43 pm I have 2 Golf GTE packs, I charge to 4.15v. You can run SimpBMS on a Teensy with just a can transceiver for the GTE modules, it'll monitor the voltages and balancing.
Thanks for the feedback. Will charge them until ~4.00v.
bartek8118

Post by bartek8118 »

Good morning,

I am trying to decode the checksum in CAN data frames in frames with voltages. Frame id 0x1B0-1C9. Does anyone of you know how the checksum is calculated?

greetings
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Gwizard

Post by Gwizard »

EV_Builder wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:40 am In the small square section looks like some configuration to me?
Do you have closeup? What's printed on the small table?
Hi Have you noticed these resistors? Could these set the module ID's they are different on the two units in this photo
image.png
image.png (125.77 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

I would say check it. I think it has todo with cells.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.