[DRIVING] Opel Omega B2 + GS450H (the "EVOmega")

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Bigpie

Re: Opel Omega B2 + GS450H

Post by Bigpie »

I noticed that Johannes implementation on the black cab works on the chademo chargers that mine doesn't, I've not figured out why.
Some chargers here work without the prox connected to 12v via a resistor, some didn't detect a vehicle.

Do you use the Due based code? Maybe it too closely adheres to the spec?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I do exactly what the standard says, which is a 1kOhm resistor on the proximity line to 12V, and I actually even have the false drive preventing circuit in there to disconnect it once charging starts. But that circuit doesn't come into play until the charger is well on its way to actually charging so it doesn't matter here. So in short, yes, I have the proximity line resistor.

I use my own controller with my own code running on an Arduino Nano. I still haven't released it because johu got his controller published before mine started working reasonably well, and I'm still not happy with it as you can see.

There were no Chademo vehicles in sight on those chargers. Only CCS ones. So I don't know if they were broken or not. However the CCS definitely worked on them, and I count 5 in total that behaved exactly the same - that is, they didn't detect the car at all, no "connection ok" response of any kind. Those chargers were two 75kW Tritium chargers, a 50kW Tritium charger and two 200kW(?) Delta chargers.

The 75kW Tritiums were new to me. There was a CCS car succesfully charging on one of them.

50kW Tritiums seem to always work, so I have no idea what was up with that one. It might have been broken. CCS seemed work on it on someone's car after I left though.

The high power Deltas were new to me. There were CCS cars succesfully charging on both of them.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Here's a list of the chargers tested on this trip, if I'm able to remember all of them, in order. I added an identifying letter in () to the chargers just to remind myself. I don't want to name them publicly.

- 50kW Tritium (o): ok
- 50kW Tritium (k): ok
- 50kW Tritium (c): Didn't fully work but it was due to internal problems in the car
- 50kW ABB (h): ok
- 50kW Tritium (r): ok
- 20kW(?) Kempower: Charging stopped after a random duration between 0 to 10 minutes during numerous attempts. I got the charger logs and they stated the charge permission line from the car deactivated momentarily. The car's logs didn't show that this should have happened.
- 50kW Efacec (kh): Detected the car but showed an error code on screen that could be looked up to mean the charger's internal fuse was blown
- 150kW Kempower (kh): Detected the car but said on screen that the battery was incompatible (when testing using chademo version 1.0). When testing using chademo version 0.9 the charger said the car was incompatible.
- 50kW Circontrol (kh): ok
- 50kW Tritium (kk): ok
- 50kW Tritium (n): ok
- 50kW Efacec/Garo (h): ok
- 50kW ABB (jp): Screen stated charger was out of order
- 75kW Tritium (t): Tested two chargers, neither detected the vehicle at all. A Tesla Model Y was charging via CCS on one of them.
- (There was a charging attempt on some super random charger here that I've never seen and won't ever see again. It didn't work.)
- 50kW Tritium (m): ok
- 50kW Tritium (m): ok
- 50kW Tritium (j): Didn't detect the car at all. CCS seemed to be working. Looks like there are very bad reviews about the Chademo here so it might very well be broken.
- 200kW Delta (j): Didn't detect the car at all. CCS was definitely working. Tested 2 chargers.
- 50kW Circontrol (j): ok
- 50kW ABB (p): ok

This makes it 11 succesful charging sessions, or 172km per succesful charging session. 21 charging attempts total.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I'm now in the process of finalizing the million details needed to shorten the front battery box by 2 modules, to get the front axle mass to the legal range for this car, so that I can get it inspected as an EV. I have also moved the BMS PCB inside the battery box. I was able to shorten it only by about 78mm due to having to leave space for safe access to the battery terminals and also leave room for the BMS, but that will already make a big difference at the front - I should have enough room for some sort of A/C system when I want to look into that later.
20221029_171945.jpg
While I'm here, I'll also have to replace the battery loop pump with a much more powerful Bosch PCE unit to get rid of problems bleeding the system, and I'll need to add a battery coolant heater and a bypass valve to the battery radiator. And of course implement control to all these. It's soon going to be only freezing temperatures for about 4 months so the car would be inoperable without battery heating.

My summer vacation is long gone, so progress is slow.

I did the first version of the next version of the rear battery box about a month ago. I'll post photos of it once I revisit it when adding the remaining 2 modules in the rear, that I had to remove from the front.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I ended up with lots of needs for extra inputs and outputs in addition to the GS450H VCU or the ZombieVerter (to which I'll swap at some point):
- Shifter LEDs are controlled by 4 lines
- Cruise control inputs
- Driver door needs to be monitored and warning alarm to be sounded in certain situation according to Finnish legislation for EV conversions
- Vacuum pump control based on sensor
- Cabin heating pump
- Radiator cooling fan
- System needs to be powered up in situations other than ignition key operation (charging by OBC or fast charging; remote operated heating in the future, maybe 12V top-up if it gets low)
- I wanted to have extra logic for controlling the power steering pump and the vacuum pump so that when the car is charging they don't turn on even if ignition is on
- Battery heater PWM control
- Battery coolant loop pump power (maybe PWM in the future)
- Battery cooling/heating solenoid valve
- OBC 12V feed needs to be switched separately from the rest of the system for cable plug-in monitoring
- Fuel gauge needs to be driven
- I want to drive some other gauges in the future too
- I'd like to do CHAdeMO comms with this in the future too. Generally I need a piece of hardware where I can reliably run my own embedded software and have all the protections and outputs that I need.
- Other uses in the future. A project like this is never finished and always needs spare i/o for extensions.

So, I came up with the design for essentially what's a slightly weirdly designed VCU but which I dubbed the iPDM56, an intelligent power distribution module in the chinese 56-pin enclosure.

I'm seeing if I can make this into a product for anyone to use.

It is characterized by a large number of power outputs, both low and high side, and by the input/logic side solderable jumper/pull-up/pull-down/filter matrix which allows integrating it into one-off systems in some ways that are not generally possible with common VCU style controllers. It has a relatively wimpy MCU.

It is meant to act as an I/O extender module alongside another VCU, but you could wire it up to a throttle pedal and a CAN controlled inverter if you don't need much code or want to specifically minimize the amount of code and have control and knowledge over all of your code (like me).

It is programmed as an Arduino Uno, by uploading your sketch to it. There is no other programming interface, no UIs, nothing. It runs the code you upload to it, and that's it.

The USB port is brought to the waterproof 56-pin connector so that continuous development of the code is possible while it is installed in a vehicle, without the need for Wi-Fi, bluetooth, laptop CAN adapters or anything fancy like that. You just plug the thing into your laptop via USB, just like an Arduino Uno. In case you want to just program it once, there's a USB Micro-B connector on board.

Included with the documentation, there is an open source software template which includes a utility library, specifically designed for the hardware, which I personally also use. It makes programming common functions a breeze, given that you have some Arduino programming experience.

The hardware is well documented, with well laid out schematics, board layouts and easy to read connector pinouts, but I will keep the hardware production files to myself for now, and sell the boards myself. I am not planning to get rich, but I would like to stay strongly in the development loop and be able to maintain the quality of the hardware. Once I get bored of that, I'll publish the HW project files. No promises, but you've seen me publish open source before.

I want this to cost 100€ inc. VAT and shipping, without enclosure, or 150€ for 2, but I'll still have to run the numbers. The price will include absolutely no support of any kind, and you shouldn't buy it unless you're comfortable developing code for Arduinos. By default, it does nothing, there is no software, and also the default software template does nothing unless you add your own code to it.

Github link: https://github.com/celeron55/ipdm56

I also made this VCU comparison table in the Wiki to learn about the differences between VCUs. It only has a couple in the table and even those are missing some data for now, but I think it's already interesting. There's also a to-do list for adding other ones: https://openinverter.org/wiki/VCU_Comparison

Photo of v1.0 with some jumpers added for a specific use case. Note that the white wire is replacing a trace I burned up by accidentally trying to destroy the MCU by feeding 12V not to the external connector, but to the internal jumper strip (even then the protection kind of worked, yay for those absolutely massive TVSes!) and the output pull-down resistor has a better GND location in v1.1:
20230102_224102_small.jpg
Render of v1.1, which I'm currently having a batch made of:
iPDM56_v1.1_PCB_render_components2.png
The v1.1 connector pinout:
iPDM56_v1.1_connector.png
JamesA

Post by JamesA »

I'm sure the iPDM will be useful. But mainly I just wanted to say that I find this Omega build very inspirational, in showing what results can be achieved... particularly for those of us considering going down the Maguire Lexus route :)
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Getting some welding done at the rear. That's all that I need extra in the spare wheel well in order to fit the Tesla modules with electricals and cooling. Still a lot of work with my cheap welder.
20230121_220027.jpg
EDIT: After looking at these photos of my work for a while, I decided to order a cheap inverter flux core MIG welder. Spending so much time to get such a result using the rectifier-less AC welder is not a good use of my time, given I could find an inverter version for 126€ including tax and shipping. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Here's an Aliexpress affiliate link. I want to see how these work. Keep in mind I just ordered it for myself, I have no idea whether it's actually any good :mrgreen: : https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DEVCpA7
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Mounting the rear batteries using a mix of expensive new cut-to-spec aluminium extrusions and scrap steel from a Tesla battery pack. Without proper sheet metal tools, of course.

Let's say it has lots of character? :D I like it. Especially the bonus sticker.

This design should be able to take quite some load on top, even point loads, after I add a sheet of plastic between the modules and the steel cover. That's fairly critical given the pack is literally the cargo floor.

20230210_163849_small.jpg
20230210_170325_small.jpg
20230210_212544_small.jpg
20230210_231134_small.jpg
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

Nicely built this rear battery pack and real repurpose/reuse way to do it. What holds these battery modules in place can they be fixed somehow with bolts or something?
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

They have side rails that slot into the extrusions with the help of some 3D printed parts to eat up the slop.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

The front starts to look ok from the top. I think visually this should pass.

Now that I think of it, some rule probably says I need to add a ground strap from the battery box to chassis... well, that's not a big deal.

Guess who left all the annoying work beneath the car at the end of the to-do list? Here are some items:
- Balance the propshaft adapter
- Appropriately upport the shifter linkage adapter thing
- Support, protect and tidy up the under-floor cabling
- Make a proper mount for the power steering pump
- Attach the plastic wheel well linings and any other underbody plastic I've removed, using fasteners I've probably already lost
- Adjust parking brake

After this I'll have to get the windshield replaced and document all the changes I've made.

After I've gotten this inspected, I'll have to disassemble the front again in order to redesign the cabin heating coolant system and think about relocating stuff (12V battey and/or OBC) to the rear in order to be able to fit the A/C compressor later this spring. But for now, this is all about getting the papers signed.

20230212_224715.jpg
celeron55

Re: Opel Omega B2 + GS450H (the "EVOmega")

Post by celeron55 »

I just did the world's first open source CCS charging session using a real car, into a real battery. No LIM or anything like that was used. Only pyPLC plus a bit of custom hardware integration to make it control the contactors and talk to the BMS. (The HomePlug modem firmware is closed source though. Who's taking the challenge?)

Check the details (and logs, if you want proof) at viewtopic.php?p=56188#p56188
20230502_220811.jpg
tscrot-2023-05-03_16-43-34.png
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

A spring CCS photo with the summer wheels and new tyres. My tyre choice was a mid priced fuel economy focused one: Hankook Ventus Prime 3. I like them so far. Not sponsored. :mrgreen:
20230511_191738cr.jpg
miggo

Post by miggo »

Btw, did you get this inspected? I also live in Finland and am planning my own project, so this would be a great benchmark about how much battery I can cram inside and get it inspected
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Yes I did. The procedure you should follow is:
- Pick a "katsastusasema". Preferably one that is popular with car enthusiasts.
- Ask them for list of things that need to be done, rules to be followed and things that will be checked
- Remember to follow the axle mass and power limitations of the vehicle just like for any "muutoskatsastus"
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Looks like I've forgotten to update this thread, so here's a short update:

The DC/DC converter in the Outlander OBC and the Outlander heater broke.

I determined the cause to be the main contactor that I got welded, and subsequently de-welded last summer. I assume it got angry at me from the CCS tests which required it conduct more current for longer times than it previously had to, and during regen the voltage spiked too much. The GS450H inverter only limits voltage to 650V or so at regen, and that's enough to destroy these 400V components.

I'm in the process of replacing the components now.

However I also need to figure out whether I'll be making space for A/C at the same time. There is no way the condenser will fit with the current placement of cables, hoses, pumps and whatnot, and there is absolutely no place for the compressor also.

I'd also like to include a second heater, as the single heater isn't providing enough heat for sub -10°C temperatures. And we have months and months of those around here.

I might need to relocate the OBC and DC/DC to the rear and whatnot. It's quite the can of worms.
celeron55

Re: [DRIVING] Opel Omega B2 + GS450H (the "EVOmega")

Post by celeron55 »

Got this thing put back together.

I did:
- Removed broken front-mounted 12V battery
- Removed broken OBC and heater
- Swapped the locations of the vacuum pump and the additional 12V fuse and relay blocks
- Installed two new (second hand) heaters, one in the place where the 12V battery was. The winters here are brutal, one wasn't nearly enough last winter.
- Installed new (second hand) OBC
- A massive amount of tidying everything up. I cannot count the amount of cables and hoses I shortened, lengthened and moved around.
- Continued the effort of trying to make space for the A/C condenser. It has a chance of fitting in now. Now, the entire system would have to be completely cleaned up from the old refrigerant. And, I do not have room for the compressor. To make that room, the OBC has to be moved to the rear of the car, including its cooling system. A royal pain, but theoretically doable.
- Found at least one rubbing hose that would have left me stranded in a few months. Added a protective sleeve over it.

My to-do list is still hundreds (or thousands?) of lines, but I think this might do until spring. Well one thing I still have to do:
- Mount the two iPDM56s, one for general 12V distribution and control and the other for Chademo. I'm thinking of making some sort of snap-fit 3D printed mounts on the front side of the battery. I already grew tired of alu profile T nuts and screws. Those are annoying to access in their mounting location.

I need to work on the software a bit though:
- I want to give it a chance of surviving a bad contactor if that happens in the future, without blowing up expensive parts
- I'll need to finish development for winter usage. I hope the current battery heater is enough with some smart enough software. If not, I already have the next hardware iterations in mind.

These photos aren't great but here's a bad attempt at a before and after shot (as you can see I installed some "new" lighting at the garage (well, not even new-to-me... just some fluorescent tubes headed for recycling)):
20230219_221339.jpg
20230913_213607.jpg
Then hoisted the insanely big box in again:
20230914_182921.jpg
20230914_203752.jpg
Everything is now mounted in place and most of the system is filled with coolant, but I haven't taken a test drive yet. It does power on, torque is available at the motor. The OBC, DCDC, heater, vacuum pump and power steering appear to work.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

A new year's report:

The car killed the main contactor again, the one I replaced. I already replaced it and the car is running again. This time I have strong suspicion that the contactor had a manufacturing defect. I cannot imagine how the car could have broken it like this. It only makes a sound when you connect 12V to the control side. When you remove, it doesn't make a sound. Sometimes you get a "click-click", sometimes "click". And absolutely nothing when you disconnect. And of course it doesn't conduct current which was the problem.

This thing was driveable in some very cold weather we were having in Finland. More than a week of -30...-25°C. However, I kept this in the garage when I was at home. However, the garage wasn't heated, it was at below -15°C. The car was plugged in for most of the time, however my code for handling being plugged in once fully charged doesn't really have an idea what it's doing and it sometimes just shuts the car off, sometimes keeps it on, sometimes keeps the battery heated while it's not intending to start charging afterwards.

It also killed the 12V battery at least once, which is not great when 12V batteries are a giant pain in the rear in this type of weather anyway, as they don't take a charge but happily discharge into all sorts of high power stuff like Xenon headlamps, power steering and brakes, seat heaters, mirror heaters and whatnot, and the car happily powers up high power stuff before the DC-DC kicks in. I feel I need to develop a solution to this 12V battery killing madness. The rule should be sub-milliamp total consumption in the car when being shut down for more than a day. Preferably 0mA.

I don't know about automatic charging of the 12V battery from the main battery - it seems risky with the automatic closing of HV contactors and the potential for hydrogen accumulation. Maybe when plugged in, but disabled otherwise.
20240108_135430cs.jpg
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

My original Ioniq wakes up each 24h, and if the 12V is too low, it turns-on the HV and charges the 12V for around 20 minutes. So the feature "charge the 12V from the main battery" seems to be "state of the art" somehow.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Maybe it's not a problem if it's stupid and predictable enough. Like, exactly every 24 hours, exactly not at all or exactly 20 minutes, based solely on the voltage at the 24h mark. This way it will not do stupid things like stay on indefinitely, stay on too short, stay powered off for too short, start at a point in time you don't expect and so on.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

uhi22 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:58 pm My original Ioniq wakes up each 24h, and if the 12V is too low, it turns-on the HV and charges the 12V for around 20 minutes. So the feature "charge the 12V from the main battery" seems to be "state of the art" somehow.
I used Outlander DCDC OBC in Mazda before to observe aux battery and providing 5min charge as required by the car. Note i had Outlander OBC connected directly to the main fuse so it could allways sense 12V and HV.

Since then i remodelled Mazda to all Outlander components and now i am working on using a loop within VCU to use a long timer to turn OBC ON, precharge and all and charge aux battery for 5min or so. The idea being i will be able to leave the car parked at airport for days without aux battery dropping.
marcexec

Post by marcexec »

Have you considered replacing LA with 6S LTO?
These are now available (EU) and rated to -40°C. Very little capacity loss at -25°C!
Only downsides I see is the odd form factor (if OEM location) and high weight. 2P6S is similar to a "60AH" starter battery (12 ss 16/17kg), not that they'd be comparable in deliverable energy at those temps...

OTOH at 10k cycles it could outlast the car :D
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

marcexec wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:55 am Have you considered replacing LA with 6S LTO?
Looks interesting but:
- Expensive (can be offset by the durability, but only if you don't destroy it prematurely)
- Needs an enclosure
- Needs a BMS with low and high voltage cutoff. A low voltage cutoff is a lot of work to integrate to the car's OEM electronics (adding one to a lead acid system would already be very beneficial even without a lithium battery)

The listing for these cells say as follows. This sounds like the cells are dangerous if the BMS doesn't exist or becomes faulty:
- The cells must be monitored and protected against deep discharge and over charge
- The charge and discharge must be carried under supervision

A lead acid battery is cheap and has no option for BMS, but a low cell or an unbalanced battery resulting from the lack of BMS (or a broken BMS) doesn't result in a fire. (it's difficult to actually destroy a lead-acid battery so that it becomes completely unusable, let alone dangerous)

It doesn't come as a surprise so far only Tesla from all the OEMs has managed to set up a non lead acid low voltage system. You need to do full systems integration in order to not destroy the battery.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I finished a preliminary install of uhi22's foccci 4.1, with a couple of modifications (I replaced the contactor drivers with mosfets and flyback diodes to enable economizing the contactors, and did the 5V/330ohm PP fix).

I have now tested it to work fine on many different charger models (viewtopic.php?p=67752&sid=e78c7c791069c ... 6a1#p67752)

I don't have a lock motor for it yet though, I just use a manual "locking key" that I poke into the hole to make sure the plug doesn't get pulled out with fireworks if someone kicks the cable or whatever. I'll get a lock motor ASAP but I'm still looking for used options before buying one new, as the price new with shipping is >100€. It's an ID.4 socket.

Also, foccci 4.1 doesn't have any power saving built in so I'll have to implement that externally. Anyway, it's quite nice and simple, I definitely like it.

To configure the board, I added can mapping support to the OIC tool so that I don't have to use an ESP32, which I find unreliable, difficult and inflexible. So far the support was merged into this branch: https://github.com/davefiddes/openinver ... n55-canmap
20240223_140909.jpg
20240223_140929.jpg
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

The original propshaft flange adapter cracked and started to vibrate, so I had to make a new one.

This one is pretty simple, it's laser cut from 10mm steel plate, then ground and welded a bit and bolted on the backside of the gearbox output flange just like the original. The flange and some of the bolts are also ground a bit, to get the necessary clearances. I developed it as a 3D print before ordering the lasercut metal parts. I also installed a new flex coupler. This should last the lifetime of the gearbox now I think.

I attached the FreeCAD file also, if someone needs something similar. And I do have 2 extra adapters, in case someone nearby needs one exactly like this...
20240304_184435.jpg
20240305_091650.jpg
20240309_111400.jpg
20240309_115442.jpg
20240309_130340.jpg
20240309_134428.jpg
Attachments
propshaftadapt4.zip
(555.1 KiB) Downloaded 8 times