Jaguar Mk 10 conversion

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
ADK46

Jaguar Mk 10 conversion

Post by ADK46 »

I've acquired an excellent 1966 Jaguar Mk 10 for conversion, after casually looking for a good candidate for years. It is a candidate because the wonderful/miserable XK engine was removed long ago, and replaced with a Chevy small block. The Chevy engine doesn't even run well, and I've started the process to remove it. A big saloon like a Mk 10 is all about elegance, comfort and smoothness.

I own several vintage cars, do my own work, have a garage with lifts, and I'm a retired engineer, though not an EE. Long-time computer nerd, however. Not my only car involving the Prince of Darkness. But I know little about EV conversion beyond what I've picked up in YouTube videos over the past few years. I have started to study specific components. E.g., I've determined that a Torque Trend gearbox and UQM 160 will fit nicely in the transmission tunnel, Not settled on that, or anything.

No shortage of space in this car, the largest Jaguar ever sold. I have a 1000 lb weight budget. Will be financed by gains from TSLA (I own two). Seems likely this will be the first Electric Mk 10 - yes? Makes no sense, of course, but I need a project to get me through the long, cold, dark winter.

I have a number of other retired engineers interested in the project, but finding a real expert here in the mountains won't be easy. If someone in OpenInverter is willing to be Chief Consulting Engineer, I will be grateful. ;)
Curt Austin
Adirondack Mountains, New York