Prescient Advertising from 1957: "ELECTRICITY MAY BE THE DRIVER"

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
asavage

Prescient Advertising from 1957: "ELECTRICITY MAY BE THE DRIVER"

Post by asavage »

I've just moved, was unpacking, and "found" it again!

I want to share this full-page advertisement from Feb, 1957. I don't recall where I purchased this (eBay, auto show?) and it's a shame I can't ID the magazine anymore. Since I had to set up & test my large-format Epson GT-15000 scanner, to make sure it survived the move, this seemed a good time to add it to the general internet clutter . . .

---

"POWER COMPANIES BUILD FOR YOUR NEW ELECTRIC LIVING"

Can you believe it?

Soon, we'll be heating with heat pumps!

Television "screens" will hang on the walls!

They got some things right . . .
Feb1957 Power Companies expansion advertisement
Feb1957 Power Companies expansion advertisement
[Link to 96MiB PNG/600 dpi version for archival purposes]

OCR of the above:
ELECTRICITY MAY BE THE DRIVER. One day your car may speed along an electric super-highway, its speed and steering automatically controlled by electronic devices embedded in the road. Travel will be more enjoyable. Highways will be made safe —— by electricity! No traffic jams . . . no collisions . . . no driver fatigue.

POWER COMPANIES BUILD FOR YOUR NEW ELECTRIC LIVING

Your air conditioner, television and other appliances are just the beginning of a new electric age. Your food will cook in seconds instead of hours. Electricity will close your windows at the first drop of rain. Lamps will cut on and off automatically to fit the lighting needs in your rooms. Television "screens" will hang on the walls. An electric heat pump will use outside air to cool your house in summer, heat it in winter. You will need and have much more electricity than you have today. Right now America's more than 400 independent electric light and power companies are planning and building to have twice as much electricity for you by 1967. These companies can have this power ready when you need it because they don't have to wait for an act of Congress —— or for a cent of tax money —— to build the plants. The same experience, imagination and enterprise that electrified the nation in a single lifetime are at work shaping your electric future. That's why in the years to come, as in the past, you will benefit most when you are served by independent companies like the ones bringing you this message —— America's Independent Electric Light and Power Companies* .

*Company names on request through this magazine
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel