BMW X5 E70

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Decbyrne

BMW X5 e70

Post by Decbyrne »

Hello there, another complete novice asking another dumb question :roll:

I have a 2008 x5 that's fit for the scrap heap, I'd love to convert it to electric but can't find anyone that has done so anywhere. Is theree a reason why this car can't be converted? I've looked at Damian's videos & he's obviously stayed away from the x5. The only post I could find anywhere was someone saying stay away because of the x5's computer, it's this really the case?

Any help greatly appreciated
philbrennan

Re: BMW X5 e70

Post by philbrennan »

I think it might be more that Damian just didn't have an x5 or is more into the saloons.
Generally an older car may have less complex systems to deal with, and it happens that Damian has already written software to integrate with BMW Canbus for the e39/e65 ( I'm not sure how much the e70 differs )
The other major thing is around the 4wd. If you are to retain that, you'd also be potentially planning to keep the transfer box, that has a bit of complexity with its own control needed. Might be good to look at some other 4wd conversions for example, plenty of landrovers / range rovers being converted. Might be best to try simplify the 4wd a lot..
Decbyrne

BMW X5 E70

Post by Decbyrne »

Attachments
IMG_20221025_162554_340 X5.jpg
Neyo

Post by Neyo »

I believe that any car or truck can be a project. I also have a BMW E70 X5 and I was thinking if had to change it to an EV it would need a Tesla front and rear drive unit, and lots of space for batteries in the back and the front. Or you can set up a rear-drive only.
Decbyrne

Post by Decbyrne »

Thanks a million for the response Phil, I think you're right, I just don't think 4wd is with the hassle given the driving I do!
Thanks also Neyo, maybe I'll wait until you've done your conversion before starting mine😁
Decbyrne

Re: BMW X5 E70

Post by Decbyrne »

Hello there!

I'm new to the forum & a complete novice so despite the fear of making myself look like a fool I decided to post my thoughts on my project to see if I'm completely mad or just stupid!!

I've owned my X5 for many years now but recently I've been having too much hassle with turbos, particle filters, oil leaks etc etc - the car will not pass the road test & I have been advised to get rid of the car however, I love the idea of converting it to EV for a number of reasons (mostly environmental) but I also love the car & am very reluctant to get rid of it.
I've looked around & have found no one that has converted an X5 so my first question is am I completely mad to take this project on? Are there good reasons why no one else has done such a conversion?

I work in the construction industry & would love to use the car again as my daily driver. I never use a trailor or carry huge loads in the car so limiting the car to 2 wheel drive during the convertion will not be an issue. Range isn't a big thing either but we can get to that at a later stage. I have friends that are electricians that I can all on & another friend who is like McGuiver when it comes to mechanical issues so I think fabrication & general wiring should not be too much hassle, However CAN bus etc is scarying us all to bits!!

If the consensus is to proceed, I am absolutely opan to all ideas & advice but for all its worth, I was thinking of using the Lexus GS300h gearbox & inverter for no other reason than there's no need for the oil pump & controller as pointed out in Damian's video (as opposed to the GS450h) & the ZombieVerter but please feel free to tell me I'm mad to do so & I should use another drivetrain!

I have bought nothing yet & don't intend doing so until I get some advice or direction so all thoughts would really be grately appreciated.

If there is anyone interested in taking on the CAN bus side of things for this project, I'd be more than happy to pay for someone's time, advice, software, hardware whatever is required.

As I said, I'd really love to get people's thoughts & advice so all comments are most welcome.

Thank you!!
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I merged the two threads here
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Decbyrne

Post by Decbyrne »

thanks Johu, i was trying to delete the first one but couldn't figure out how!!
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

With the work going on with the Tesla Model 3 drive units, that could be a nice fit for a project like this, fit in place of the transfer case at 90 degrees to normal orientation and driving front and rear diffs. Similar setup is used on many land rover setups with the Tesla Model S units. You'll see my project in the projects section, L322 beached whale, where I've opted to keep the transfer case and using the GS450H drive, so similar to your original idea. What I've found is the drive eats up some battery space up front and alignment with the transfer case is tough when accommodating the front diff, but workable. If you're considering no transfer case and the GS300H to rear diff only, that makes if very neat and frees up the whole front area for batteries. I'm fitting batteries underneath, which affects transfer case position and so transmission position.

I'm looking forward to seeing Damians L200 conversion with the leaf setup! Could that be a nice option coupled to your transfer case!

Just dive in, CAN will get figured out :) get a set up to start recording CAN logs and record now while its still running!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I'd imagine the can is very similar to the E65. Get a log and we can tell.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Decbyrne

Post by Decbyrne »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:29 pm I'd imagine the can is very similar to the E65. Get a log and we can tell.
Thanks a million Damian, that's very generous of you. I'll take you up on your offer if you don't mind but it might take some time - first, I've to buy some Aduino products, go back & watch your videos (paying closer attention this time!!), then figure out how to post the data!!
We're talking complete novice here :? :?
thanks again
Decbyrne

Post by Decbyrne »

nkiernan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:02 pm With the work going on with the Tesla Model 3 drive units, that could be a nice fit for a project like this, fit in place of the transfer case at 90 degrees to normal orientation and driving front and rear diffs. Similar setup is used on many land rover setups with the Tesla Model S units. You'll see my project in the projects section, L322 beached whale, where I've opted to keep the transfer case and using the GS450H drive, so similar to your original idea. What I've found is the drive eats up some battery space up front and alignment with the transfer case is tough when accommodating the front diff, but workable. If you're considering no transfer case and the GS300H to rear diff only, that makes if very neat and frees up the whole front area for batteries. I'm fitting batteries underneath, which affects transfer case position and so transmission position.

I'm looking forward to seeing Damians L200 conversion with the leaf setup! Could that be a nice option coupled to your transfer case!

Just dive in, CAN will get figured out :) get a set up to start recording CAN logs and record now while its still running!
Hi Neil,
Thanks a million for the reply - I saw your project already & was blown away by your knowledge, ability & attention to detail. Super project, well done!!
I'm thinking of keeping my project as simple as possible so as you said, I was thinking of removing the transfer case & bolting the GS300H to the rear diff only. I think this will be a lot more straight forward & leave plenty of room for batteries & all the other components in the front.
I'd love to see Damian's L200 project complete but I get the impression he has a lot on & that project might take a while, I'd love to get my car back on the road asap.
thanks again Neil