Reconfigure Volt / Ampera Battery

Discussion about components from Ampera/Bolt and the PSA group which owns Opel these days
bulletbug

Reconfigure Volt / Ampera Battery

Post by bulletbug »

Can a Volt battery be unbolted, reconfigured and bolt back up to keep a water tight coolant path?

For example, I'm starting a conversion on a 69 Bug. I'd like to make the longest segment of the battery (the one with the water inlet outlet midway the length) longer with one of the 24v segments from another segment.

Then I'd be able to place the resulting ~52 inch combo'd segment where the lower cushion of the backseat used to be and effectively use the entire width of the car. The remaining segments would then fit up front.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: Reconfigure Volt / Ampera Battery

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Yes.

I have not done it myself but Kerry Manning has for his land speed truck.

Some good info on his youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1haWs ... 0lapf4MBgg

Requires taking off the endplates and using all thread to replace the stock bolts that hold the battery together.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Thatguyoverthere

Post by Thatguyoverthere »

As ps stated, it should be possible. I intend on doing something similar while using the stock bms with Tom's simpbms, so if you plan on reusing the bms make sure you label the connectors that go with each slave module because they are different
https://github.com/kaelinwilson
Leaf Motor/Gen1 Camry Inverter
bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

Thank you both for your input. I'll be doing this reconfiguration in the next week or so and pressure testing the resulting connections for coolant leaks. I'll post pictures and results here.