Stumped with Orion BMS and CHAdeMO charging

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
deadsled

Stumped with Orion BMS and CHAdeMO charging

Post by deadsled »

Firstly, I am in Australia and have requested assistance from Andrew at Orion but he hasn't been able to provide any help unfortunately (too busy and no access to his CHAdeMO test vehicle... :roll: ).

My 2nd EV conversion - a VW T2 bus with Tesla SDU and Orion BMS (link to project thread below) - won't charge by CHAdeMO on the local Tritium RT50 DC chargers which have previously worked on other EV conversions with Orion BMS.

My first conversion is a Hyper 9 powered Ford Cortina. Both have Tesla modules and use the Orion 2 BMS. The Cortina works fine with CHAdeMO chargers.

For some unknown reason, the VW won't charge despite using the same profile as the Cortina (adjusted for any differences e.g. 14 modules in the VW compared to 5 in the Cortina).

The CHAdeMO is on CAN2 and initially flagged an error code 37088 which managed to disappear after connecting the BMS utility. Upon trying to start a new session the charge station came up with the same error code as before which is described as "vehicle has set one of its error flags".

We've tested with a couple of other EV conversions in our area - 2 cars work, and 2 don't. We've tried firmware versions 3.6.2 and 3.6.3. Without any pointers from Orion we're struggling to find out how to detect the problem with the VW.