Nissan Leaf EM61 motor on gen2 inverter?

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
PaulHeystee

Nissan Leaf EM61 motor on gen2 inverter?

Post by PaulHeystee »

Anybody knows if I can use the gen1 EM61 motor with gen2 inverter?

Thanks
Paul
SciroccoEV

Re: Nissan Leaf EM61 motor on gen2 inverter?

Post by SciroccoEV »

With replacement logic board, yes, I can't see why not.

With CANbus control of inverter, no. The resolver offset needs to be set in the inverter. I don't think the information on how this is done is known.
PaulHeystee

Post by PaulHeystee »

Thanks!
Romale

Post by Romale »

PaulHeystee wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:17 pm Anybody knows if I can use the gen1 EM61 motor with gen2 inverter?

Thanks
Paul
100% you can. I have checked it more than once. they have the same resolver set up! for example, when I was making a jaguar xj351, I installed the em61 motor and the inverter from em57 (gen2) and controlled the inverter by can vcu, it drives perfectly! there is only one nuance. you definitely need to connect the extreme phase terminals on the contrary!
evil neodymium :twisted:
paaa

Post by paaa »

SciroccoEV wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:27 pm With replacement logic board, yes, I can't see why not.

With CANbus control of inverter, no. The resolver offset needs to be set in the inverter. I don't think the information on how this is done is known.
Dala has figured out the can messages required to set new offset in inverter, think it's on the forum here if if not it on YouTube
Romale

Post by Romale »

paaa wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:53 am Dala has figured out the can messages required to set new offset in inverter, think it's on the forum here if if not it on YouTube
I repeat. there is no need to change the offset. it's the same! only the extreme conclusions of the motor phases are located on the contrary.
evil neodymium :twisted:
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Romale wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:58 pm I repeat. there is no need to change the offset. it's the same! only the extreme conclusions of the motor phases are located on the contrary.
Some manufacturers mechanically align their resolvers to the rotor. Nissan don't, but instead measure the offset and laser etch the value onto the motor casing.

When an inverter or motor are changed, you have to MATCH the resolver offset to the inverter. The Nissan service manual is quite clear on the matter.

If the new motor happens to have the same offset as the old motor, then no, no change will be needed.

Just because in your case the offset was the same (or at least close enough), that doesn't mean that anyone else will get away without reprogramming the offset.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

That said, the values we collected here seem to point to rather small differences between motors: viewtopic.php?t=108

So I guess they will all "run" when interchanged but probably at suboptimal performance or efficiency
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
dimonlipko

Post by dimonlipko »

I try this config with OEM invertor, and its work. EM61 and EM57 have same resolver.
jackro

Post by jackro »

Hi I'm new at all this and I have a question I hope someone can answer.
I have Gen1 em61 Leaf motor & inverter although they weren't from the same car. I heard somewhere that they may not be compatible for some reason. If that is so, is there a fix?
Could someone clear this up for me?

Thanks
Jack
Rush NY
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Did you find this thread here? https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1895

The procedure for encoding the new resolver offset into the inverter is explained here.
slackerEV

Post by slackerEV »

Does the Nissan Leaf EM61 motor also work with Nissan Leaf Gen 3 inverter 160KW ? please kindly advise, thank you.
lsh3rd

Post by lsh3rd »

Since the gen 3 inverters use the exact same EM57 motors as the gen 2 inverters, even without trying I would confidently say the answer is "yes". Dala the great has been freely swapping the gen 3 inverters to earlier cars and re-writing resolver offsets accordingly. Modern-day hot-rodding at its finest!