E39e Touring

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
philbrennan

E39e Touring

Post by philbrennan »

I've been on here for a while now, recently I think Jack Bauer's videos have retriggered this in my brain.
Thanks also to the various other people on here who have been very helpful!

I'm a software engineer by trade, though generally higher level languages these days, I've done c/c++ in the past. I've done a bit with arduino and pi.
I've a background in motorsport, and have done remapping of ecu's in the past.
I converted my old saab 900 to run on megasquirt engine management and made some tweaks to that project around boost control ( a long time ago ).
My electronics knowledge is.. basic enough. I'm learning more. Soldering skills - probably I can solder headers on, that's gonna be it.

I was going to get rid of my e39 525d sport touring - I love it in most ways, but as a high mileage diesel the diesel aspect is grating on me, coupled with the high tax, not environmentally friendly and those things I've reached my limit with.
The car does not get used by me day to day - I try to avoid short runs. It does some runs on the weekend, carrying mountain bikes.
Its a very useful car in general at carrying large/awkward loads - the rear air suspension is nice too.
received_693251801159691.jpeg
My aims:
* range - initially 100km is ok.
* weight distribution - maintain at best. ideally reduce front weight a little.
* no cutting of the car
* no batteries in passenger / load space.

The car is an auto, so its already approx the heaviest e39 you can buy. On the good side this means that with the ICE gone, there's scope to add probably a 24kwh leaf pack without increasing the weight overall.
Also I think the final drive ratio being a diesel auto is good for reduced motor rpms.
I had been thinking of putting a leaf motor + 5 speed manual in but really the more logical option is indeed 450h. I like the packaging and the potential for big power.
I've acquired the 450h box/motors ( thanks Jack Bauer )
I'm not jumping on a battery for now as I want to get the drivetrain running outside the car first.
I think that at least the main 24 modules of the battery will fit in the engine bay, perhaps in 2 banks of 12. I think that probably another 12 could go in there also without affecting weight.
And then 6 each side in place of the rear fuel tanks. That will not be day 1.

So next steps:
* buy the enclosure and headers for vcu
* Get zombieverter vcu fully populated and operational
* Source lexus 450h inverter
* Source a test battery.

I had a thought that I could maybe use a computer PSU as a bench power supply, if I wire the 12v outputs in series? Would this cause issues?
philbrennan

Re: E39e Touring

Post by philbrennan »

Since I have my own thread now.. I will put some dumbass questions in it.
I like a lot about the Leaf pack - air cooled, comes with contactors and a simple BMS.
I would propose to use those contactors.
For the BMS - I see Johannes A2 conversion uses it. Why should I not do the same?

The 24kwh Leaf pack I think is listed as 90kwh - do I need to reconfigure it then to offer more than 90kwh to the 450h motors?

I have some thoughts on torque management in general - I would like to make the zombieverter speed aware and work off a torque map similar to how ICE ecus work. This would factor in the gear when gear changing is a thing, but I'd start off with road speed, get the data from the front wheels.
Start by simply limiting torque available at low speed and gradually increase it.
Possibly investigate how to reconfigure this based on a digital input ( to have a "rain switch" )
Later would also add in traction control - torque reduction based on messages from DSC unit ( as I see others have detailed in other threads )
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

Subscribed.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

The DVLA will not update cars registered after 1st March 2001 in the UK as electric, so you'll still have to pay tax on it. There's been a few of us on at them without success. Other than that looks like a good project. I'm keeping my eyes out for pre 2001 for next project.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

Hi, I'm in Ireland so no worries there.. I see the uk reg in picture, old picture :) I imported the car from uk late.. 2019?
20220812_171836.jpg
IMG-20220813-WA0020.jpeg
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Ahh, saw the UK reg and assumed :D Lucky you :D
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

Yeah that's a bit of a strange and unfortunate situation in the UK, not sure what their logic is. There is at least a supply of tourings over there though so you should be able to pickup an early one with a blown engine or box easily enough. There were zero sport tourings for sale over here so had to go to uk.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Looking forward to this project. You're doing it so I won't have to:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

Lets be prepared for a fairly long project. Im quite happy to tear into the car once Ive everything running nicely in my shed. I've an inverter lined up. In the short-term I'm wondering about a power supply or test battery.. I had thought of putting the dc rails from an atx power supply in series but I wonder if that would work. But first I'll watch more videos and get more familiar with the first phase of wiring this up
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

You dont need much power. 100w is plenty to run the gs450h on the bench. Be wary of the regen though as it will cook a psu. Will be doing a more indepth video on the subject soon.
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

yeah fair point.. I had seen on threads how to disable regen but its not something worth chancing really. I could cobble together a few lead acid batteries quick enough either.
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

After seeing a question in another thread I'm now going to ring around about insurance before I commit any further. Evinsurance.ie are a no due to the age of the car. Its 20 years old. If anyone knows of insurers who do take on conversions let me know please..
<edit> First Ireland have also just said no </edit>
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

In my experience you will get nowhere with phone calls and websites. I did this the hard way back in 2010 before there was even a nissan leaf on the road here and I have been with two companies since. My advice as I have given it many times is to do it the old fashioned way and write. Websites are just using a lookup table as is anyone on a phone line. You need to get past all that and get talking to the decision makers. Explain your project will be monitored and approved by an automotive engineer and ask if they can recommend one that they use.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

Yeah, I've read that but while there's no choice on the other steps, theres quite a few potential insurers. Some are going to be a definite no. I don't have any of the process completed but I'm not going to go ahead if theres no insurers entertaining it.
gn3dr

Post by gn3dr »

Watching this with interest. I'm also in Ireland (Killarney). Bought a Leaf stack on impulse just because I saw it advertised. However having done some reading on here and watching Damien's videos I'm thinking a Lexus box is the way to go.

What should I be looking to pay for a GS450h in your typical Irish scrapyard?
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

what sort of car you converting? bmw also? I think its a better packaging alright. I gave 350 for box and oil pump controller. inverter is same again roughly but haven't purchased that yet.
gn3dr

Post by gn3dr »

I haven't decided on a car yet, did it backwards. BMW's and RX8's are on the list of possibilities. Also have an MGB here but that's more a fullrestoration job
GreenElite

Post by GreenElite »

Hi Phil.
I've tried to PM you, but there must be something wrong as my messages seem to be stuck.
I think we do know each other from Octane and Backroads.
I'm doing a similar GS450H conversion on my Lotus Elite. I live 10 mins from Maynooth. It would be good to meet up and share info on our 2 projects.

Eoin.