Simp BMS

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
LRBen

Re: Simp BMS

Post by LRBen »

EV_Builder wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:25 pm 1)First step is the wireing inside the tesla module itself.
measure on the BMS board all voltages instead on the cells.
Done that, same voltage as the cells. I did think it might have been a bad connection to the board but doesn't seem to be.
EV_Builder wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:25 pm 2) Try swapping the BMS board with another one. Does the issue move allong with the board?
That is my next step, been putting it off today as it's a bit of a pain to swap around with how I have my connections setup. Will do that tomorrow and report back.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Swapped boards around and the low voltage followed the board. After swapping that same board also stopped reading two other cells completely. So safe to assume the board is dead. Another one already on order.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

I got all 16 of my Model S BMS boards installed and started checking each individually. 1 of them is sending SimpBMS into an Error state. "Status 5 Error 0". So I took it out of the car to diagnose. all wires are hooked up correctly, but is there a way for me to further diagnose without batteries connected? or will I always get this error without batteries? The Setup manual makes me think voltages and temps can cause this to happen. am I misunderstanding something?

it's 2 boards wired in series to monitor a set of 12 cells. so i can't tell which board is acting up.
Screenshot 2022-07-28 214839.jpg
PXL_20220729_045240424.jpg
tom91

Post by tom91 »

vwbrady wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:53 am "Status 5 Error 0".
This is the generic error message. But looking at the screenshot it clearly shows there is nothing connected but the bms is expecting how ever many cells you configured in the battery menu to be present.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

tom91 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:34 am
vwbrady wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:53 am "Status 5 Error 0".
This is the generic error message. But looking at the screenshot it clearly shows there is nothing connected but the bms is expecting how ever many cells you configured in the battery menu to be present.
Ok, so this answers my question. I can't really diagnose without a battery connected. I really should have had a test battery accessible to test these as i built them up. Back under the car i go :\

thanks again, Tom 👍
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

vwbrady wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:52 pm Ok, so this answers my question. I can't really diagnose without a battery connected.
But you can connect any 6 cells that are wired in series and then you'll be able to check one board at a time, works well 😊
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

m.art.y wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:56 pm
vwbrady wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:52 pm Ok, so this answers my question. I can't really diagnose without a battery connected.
But you can connect any 6 cells that are wired in series and then you'll be able to check one board at a time, works well 😊
i was thinking about doing that last night, but i thought there was some chance i could figure out what was wrong without them. When hooked up to the battery in the truck i get the same exact error.

i'll just grab some batteries i have handy and see what happens.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

I'm getting some odd behaviour when balancing, this happened a couple times last week when I charged the battery every now and then. It has been balancing all week fine. Today I swapped out the Isashunt and his behaviour came back.

At first I thought it was another bad board, but it wasn't showing any errors. So I raised the balance threshold above all the cell voltages and the reading went back to normal.
not balancing.png
not balancing.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
When I balance two cells bounce back and forth.
balancing 2.png
balancing 2.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
balancing 1.png
balancing 1.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
Could this be another bad board or something else?

Edit: I believe this may be another bad board. Just measured the cells manually and the readings for those two cells when there is no balancing is off by around .2v Will swap in another one and confirm.
RGr

Post by RGr »

Hi

is there any dedicated thread for Teensy 3.6/4.x SimpBMS?
Is it possible to buy SimpBMS units based on Teensy 3.6/4.x, i.e. with more than one CAN bus?

I have located two open source repos with SimpBMS forks I'm considering to start with:
https://github.com/rstevens81/SimpBMS-S ... ls-Teensey
https://github.com/jamiejones85/SimpBMS ... Spaceballs
(not sure yet if they are actually the same project or not, as one has 4 more source files, but I haven't dig into it yet)

Is there any other prospect project I'm missing out there?
I'm looking for Teensy 3.6/4.x SimpBMS supporting LEV50 slave CMUs, but in the Speceballs project there is no equivalent of different versions for different slave boards like in the original github repo of Tom-evnut (https://github.com/Tom-evnut/ImievBMSV2)

Thank you for any comments or hints.

PS outstanding forum and source of information and knowledge!
tom91

Post by tom91 »

RGr wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:31 pm is there any dedicated thread for Teensy 3.6/4.x SimpBMS?
Is it possible to buy SimpBMS units based on Teensy 3.6/4.x, i.e. with more than one CAN bus?
I am working on a Teensy 4.0 Version with two can buses. I do not know if anyone ported the code over yet beyond my own testing.
RGr

Post by RGr »

Thank you Tom,

do LEV50 CMUs and your ImievBMSV2 support balancing?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Yes balancing works for the Imiev modules.
RGr

Post by RGr »

Thank you Tom for balancing support!
Then I will start my Teensy 4.1 experiments with your ImievBMSV2 code.
X19e

Post by X19e »

i just received my SimpBMS board from Second Life EV Batteries Ltd and start to play around with it. Amazing thread with lots of information!
Just wondering: Did someone create a housing for this board and provides a step or stl file to print it?
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

X19e wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:58 pm i just received my SimpBMS board from Second Life EV Batteries Ltd and start to play around with it. Amazing thread with lots of information!
Just wondering: Did someone create a housing for this board and provides a step or stl file to print it?
in my case, the distributor designed and sold a 3d printed enclosure.
Cagpture.JPG
I don't love it and would prefer to design my own. What that would take is a .stp file of the Simp BMS breakout board. Tom? :)
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

im getting some intermittent cyclical cell voltages on one of my module boards. It bounces up and down about 1.3 volts on 2 of the cells, which then prevents the BMS from allowing any charge enable signal, in addition to scaring the eff out of me. Any clues why this is? Do i need to replace another board?
sss.JPG
Cadpture.JPG
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Correct is due to a bad connection, anywhere in the circuits so can be on the board.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

tom91 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:21 pm Correct is due to a bad connection, anywhere in the circuits so can be on the board.
connection to the cell i presume. alright, i'll take a look.

thanks, Tom!
paaa

Post by paaa »

@tom91 Hi tom , did sma hv can protocol get implemented?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

paaa wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:48 pm @tom91 Hi tom , did sma hv can protocol get implemented?
I have not had anyone provide the full canbus info and testing.
paaa

Post by paaa »

Thanks for quick reply , I'll see can I dig out a can log from a working system. Seems like this solar battery can protocols are all national secrets even though you can just reverse engineer from a can log regardless. ;)
RGr

Post by RGr »

raine wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:43 pm Which version of the SimpBMS firmware should work with the ID.3 modules and the stock slave modules? Mine is version 210614. I see no canbus traffic to either oneway or 4-way slave module.
tom91 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:52 pm VW firmware, there will be canbus traffic if wired correctly.
does it mean all ID.3/ID.4/Skoda Enyaq slave boards use the same CAN protocol and are supported by VW-bms/VWBMSV2 firmware? (https://github.com/Tom-evnut/VW-bms/tree/master/VWBMSV2)
tom91

Post by tom91 »

RGr wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:32 am does it mean all ID.3/ID.4/Skoda Enyaq slave boards use the same CAN protocol and are supported by VW-bms/VWBMSV2 firmware? (https://github.com/Tom-evnut/VW-bms/tree/master/VWBMSV2)
If they use the same battery slaves yes. However I cannot guarantee things can change with new firmware or other hardware versions on some models.
Ctwidle

Post by Ctwidle »

I’ve been browsing but can only find one place with simpBMS stock and I don’t like the exorbitant shipping fees from the USA. Is the parts shortage still a problem or should one wait for the 4.1 version?
I don’t want to go Orion as my plan is to use a single BMW pack with my Yaris/Outlander/Superbug setup with a view to adding a parallel pack down the track.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Ctwidle wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:29 am I’ve been browsing but can only find one place with simpBMS stock and I don’t like the exorbitant shipping fees from the USA. Is the parts shortage still a problem or should one wait for the 4.1 version?
adding a parallel pack down the track.
Yes the component issue will last till at least March 2023 I have been advised by the supplier.

The SimpBMS V3, to be rebranded to EVS-BMS V3 is currently undergoing beta testing.