Does Anyone Have a Prius Gen 3 Inverter, A DC Power Supply, and Some Way of Measuring Output Voltages of The Inverter?

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Geeker

Does Anyone Have a Prius Gen 3 Inverter, A DC Power Supply, and Some Way of Measuring Output Voltages of The Inverter?

Post by Geeker »

Hey Guys,
I was hoping that one of you out there may have already done this and could tell me what you have found out. I need to know if a Prius Gen 3 Inverter will operate with a 48V input, and if it does has anyone measured the output of the inverter with the 48V input?
I would like to learn if this inverter will operate with this low of an input and if it will boost the output voltage, and if it does boost the output with 48V input, then what is the voltage of the boosted output?
Thanx!
eee291

Re: Does Anyone Have a Prius Gen 3 Inverter, A DC Power Supply, and Some Way of Measuring Output Voltages of The Inverte

Post by eee291 »

It's not gonna be powerful. I don't think there is a single person who used the booster to get a higher output voltage. It has been talked about but you would be severely limiting the potential output power at 48v.
The boost reactor is limited to something like 100A. At 48V this would be around 4.8kw, I think you would need at least 20kw.
If you bypass the reactor and connect the battery directly to the Powerstage you can get like 3-4x the output current.
This would mean high torque but still low speed with a 360v motor from an electric car.

That's why I chose a forklift asynchronous motor rated at 27V 10kw with a rpm of 2200. Running this motor at 48V should make it quite usable in a lightweight car.
Geeker

Re: Does Anyone Have a Prius Gen 3 Inverter, A DC Power Supply, and Some Way of Measuring Output Voltages of The Inverte

Post by Geeker »

Thanks for the input.
My projects requirements are not so high as most peoples here.
If I can power a motor at 20kw continuously duty with 48vdc feeding a Prius Gen 3 inverter then this would be perfect for me, but if I had to, I might possibly get by with 15kw of continuous duty.
Does anyone know what the output phase voltage is from a Gen 3 Inverter with a 48vdc input?
Will the Boost circuit operate with 48vdc supply? If so, what would be the inverters output?
Thanx again for any input on this subject!!!
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Output peak voltage will be 'HV' minus a small voltage drop across the IGBTs (a couple of volts)

The boost circuit is controllable, it'll quite happily boost up to a few hundred volts, but won't be very efficient doing it (ie, you'll need to supply a lot of current, and deal with a lot of heat).

Feeding 500A into the boost converter might be... difficult... without things getting a bit melty...
eee291

Post by eee291 »

You cannot just connect it and expect it to boost automatically. The boost reactor has to be controlled manually. And like I said it can do only 100A, about 5kw at 48v.
Geeker

Post by Geeker »

OK, so if I understand what the capabilities of the Prius Gen 3 inverter is, If it is supplied with 48vdc, then it would output a 3 phase output of about 46VAC, and if I use the boost circuit, it would only have a maximum capacity of 100A input, or about 5kw output with a lot of added heat, yes?
If the inverter is used by bypassing the Boost converter, then what would be it's maximum continuous Amperage rating using the 48VDC input?
Thanx again for you input!
eee291

Post by eee291 »

https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopi ... 944#p42944

Invoke performance is running it with 400A, I believe.
glink

Post by glink »

I have some recent experience with this and I'm using the boost circutry to boost to 120vdc because I thought I needed it to achieve higer rpm on the Leaf motor, but I'm only able to get 3kw output resulting in about 1000rpm in my setup...asked about this on another thread btw. Have tried boosting to different voltages up to 300vdc with no change in power output but with increasing heat produced. I will maybe try to skip the boost stage to see if I can get to 2000rpm on 48vdc. From what I can see on the Toyota gen3 specs they use the boost circutry on the 208vdc battery and outputting over 50KW on the motor so the boost circutry should be able to cope with around 250 amps if I understand this right. But something is definitely limiting power, so continue investigating.
Geeker

Post by Geeker »

Interesting: Does anyone know if the Prius Gen 3 Inverter is good for 400A continuous throughput, or output?
Will the Prius Gen 3 MG2 take 400A continuous input?
If the max MG2 rpm = 13500 @ Boosted ~500V input, then should the max MG2 rpm only = 1350 rpm with an Unboosted 50V input?
PrecisionAnalytic

Post by PrecisionAnalytic »

glink wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:18 am From what I can see on the Toyota gen3 specs they use the boost circutry on the 208vdc battery and outputting over 50KW on the motor so the boost circutry should be able to cope with around 250 amps if I understand this right. But something is definitely limiting power, so continue investigating.
Anything new regarding what the 100A input limiting factor is for the Prius Gen3 converter?

Is the heat generated a sign of some sort of controls being inefficient doing the conversion and not the optimal algorithm for a higher current input processed optimally?