Golf 1 / Prius Gen 2 (FIRST DRIVE)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
RetroZero

Re: Golf 1 / Prius Gen 2

Post by RetroZero »

Been a while since an update. We now capable to recharge the High Voltage battery from MG1 out puts in the Inverter!
Been testing the last few days, and hope to write up this part of the process for our wiki once further testing is complete.
Next up, will install cooling and brake booster assistance.

Primitive battery connections are not advised
Attachments
DSC_1648.JPG
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

So charging is up and running from inverter and MG1 thanks to Johannes and community. Need to tidy up wiring.
The original prius battery will remain in use for further testing.
Now to get some vacuum brakes working (as I believe there has been some regen issues causing acceleration 😬)

RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Thanks zookeeper and company, wired up C5 and dc-dc up and running. I used dcsw to activate pins 1&3 on a relay.
Will figure out a 'pull to ground' for pin 4 at a later stage - basically to shut down if voltage exceeds 15v.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Progress very slow since I got charger side of inverter working. I would like to road test, but I don't live in an area where it is easily possible.... So getting provision number plates (for prototype testing).
In other news, I'm attempting to secure as much wiring as possible, and get brake assistance working before going onto the street.
The second board and contactors are to run MG1 (and disconnect it when charging).
All necessary before getting out rolling.
Attachments
DSC_1843.JPG
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

very nice! i'd also be interested in performance "butt meter" metrics when you get things properly hooked up. The entire transaxle looks like a neat package. I'd be a little concerned about the extremely short Pass side axle. Also, if you're interested, I designed a bracket that eliminates the brake booster, but requires a new push rod.
Screenshot 2022-06-14 145804.jpg
I'm in a similar state as you, where i have everything working and road testing has happened but no cooling, no charging, and no DCDC (you probably have this). I like Damien's advice to finish what you started, but where's the fun in that!? So many projects running in parallel keeps things interesting.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Yup, finish what you started. I have dc-dc functioning, and find brake assistance necessary. (especially since there are problems with vehicle accelerating instead of slowing down in other threads)
There's cooling too 🤯
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

"...especially since there are problems with vehicle accelerating instead of slowing down in other threads"

that is a fair point.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

So finally got my brake vacuum setup fitted and wired in. Starting to get lots of wires, so fuse and relay boxes installed to tidy up a little. Pump switches on and off (like when they do a pre flight test of the planes wings.)
Will look into it next, but can start to check out why there's no power - flat lines around 30km/h. One thing for sure is original prius pack @225v is not going to get very far.
Attachments
DSC_1925.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

watching closely as I really want to do this to a VW Rabbit as they are called here in the States, so [ahem] please stop disappearing, ha ha
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I'm doing the same with your detailed CAN I do it thread😉. Next up, fit jumper cable to bypass converter. See if that helps with the power factor.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

So the jumper cable bypassing the converter didn't do anything. I'll start digging into posts before playing with values I don't properly understand.
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Pretty sure these motors need a different field weakening strategy then what is currently offered by current software, hopefully as more people get their projects rolling there will be more testing of different ideas, there is some good reading and theories around the forum
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

So decided to go back to the start... sort of.
I thought, Damien had his gen3 prius transaxle running pretty smooth during his video with Johu. Albeit without load.
So went to remove any doubts or 'I assume that I got it right'.
Went back to check resolver feedback - nothing happening when carrying out the test sequence.
Did some changes as per Damiens table and resolved the resolver problem.... I'm pretty sure it was fine before, but not going there.
So back to checking stage 2 and homing in on our famous 'syncoffs' value.
At syncoffs = 10000 & manualid =50A, I let out the black smoke.
Seems in manual mode, my setup switched main contacter off and was on via precharge relay. The resistor did not like that and poof. Could have been worse. Pretty freaky when you don't know what popped, and why.
Back to drawing board again 🤔.
Attachments
DSC_2010.JPG
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Yes in less recent software precharge is left on without main dc contactor in manual run mode,
more recent software all relays are off in manual run, to use manual I have to switch on to precharge the inverter then bridge the main dc contactor with jump leads before switching to manual run,

What syncadv are you running, if the default 10 I really recommend updating software to the latest and testing with syncadv lowered to 6
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I am running the latest version 5.18 Foc. Will get everything cleaned up and check that the relays are not welded closed. Then onto some kind of jumper system with cooking element...
I'm going to try and make a test setup outside my vehicle, I almost had everything go up in smoke....
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

hope you get things figured out successfully.

I am still very curious to see how the MG1 moves the cabby by itself and at 200V (assumed). I wonder if it will take a 96S/350V supply. In one of Damien's prius transaxle videos he combined the MG1 and 2 motors in the trans case. But since you're only using MG2 for drive does that mean MG1 is just along for the ride doing nothing? considered dropping the MG1 for charging and installing a stand-alone charger? Better use of the same parts for considerably more performance?
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

MG1 is along for the ride at the moment, but have a 2nd board and bits and pieces to get it hooked up. The planetary gear set has been locked up too.
I am trying to see what performance I can get out of MG2 first and might remove MG1 and fit a blank off plate. But I would like to get the 2 motors running in this setup.
I have replaced my precharge relay and rewired things for easier access in case of emergency.
I have noticed that I am in reverse when I am going forward, so 'sycnoffs' @10300 runs the motor really smooth, but limits to about 30km/h, and goes in 'wrong' direction.
I know @geduxaz has a similar problem and mentioned value around 41000, so I''ll get my mains contact bypass setup again and try to find the same value in 'manualid' with cooker element in series.
I also selected motor temp to 'Gen2' which has helped temp value.
Il1 and Il2 read 80A when I am at full throttle, and not more. If i change throttle amp value to 2 I get overcurrent almost straight away.
'syncadv' is set to 6.
I also get Overcurrent after about 30m of testing , so still lots to iron out.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Unlike @catphish, going real slow at the moment. Getting some cooling hooked up to original radiator to do some more testing.
Mg1 been insulated and will not be used for now.
I also removed the 'poor man's charger' and will clean up wiring. Too untidy for my liking.
Charger relays will be more of a briefcase style that I'll plug in for charging.
Attachments
DSC_2045.JPG
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

i've been driving my mk1 around a bit and you're right about the need for a brake booster. I can certainly press hard enough to stop, but it takes quite a bit of effort. My solution is probably a brake upgrade + changing to the OI Leaf Gen2 board with regen. that'll do 95% of my braking anyway.

How do you like your brake setup? Does the Prius unit have regen?
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Yup, I set up 30% for now and will see how to setup 3 levels later on. I'm trying to figure out the next step, as the original prius pack @220vdc is not enough (OK for testing).
In the meantime I'm putting in cooling and correct prius transaxle oil, along with cleaning up wiring.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Nothing spectacular this weekend. Waiting on hoses for cooling circuit, so installed the water pump in the mean time.