BMW e30e

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
kevpatts

Re: BMW e30e

Post by kevpatts »

Any suggestions for someone in Leinster who can shorten a propshaft?
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

kevpatts wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 pm Any suggestions for someone in Leinster who can shorten a propshaft?
Not in Ireland! - but maybe/sure they would ship to you.
They made my prop and would use them again.
https://davemacprops.co.uk/about/
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Give driveshaft services in Dublin a shout. Used them in the past for custom props. Might help or be able to tell you who to go to.
https://www.driveshaft.ie/
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

Cheers guys, I’ll look into both.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

My guy in wicklow is who you need. send me an email to info@evbmw.com and I'll send you his details. Just ignore the autoresponse.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

I had an interview for a job in a renewable energy company yesterday and turned the camera round to show this project. A little weird but got the job. Happy days.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

kevpatts wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 pm Any suggestions for someone in Leinster who can shorten a propshaft?
Did you get your prop sorted and if so, who did you find? I've been asking a load of places and no ones taken on the job yet!
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

nkiernan wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:24 pm Did you get your prop sorted and if so, who did you find? I've been asking a load of places and no ones taken on the job yet!
I was actually just about to ping you to see how your projects were going! I'll forward you on the contact that Damien sent me. My conversion can't start until I get another car as a placement daily driver. I'm picking up my 240Z from Belgium in late August so once that's all registered over here I'll be kicking off. Have everything I need I believe, except confidence.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

kevpatts wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:38 am I was actually just about to ping you to see how your projects were going! I'll forward you on the contact that Damien sent me. My conversion can't start until I get another car as a placement daily driver. I'm picking up my 240Z from Belgium in late August so once that's all registered over here I'll be kicking off. Have everything I need I believe, except confidence.
Cheers for that. Ohhh, will the 240z get the 'treatment' at some stage too!? Still making progress on the L322, hoping to get a good update on the projects thread this weekend
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

Just caught up on this thread - very nice. I'm going a similar way with my e39. Probably it will take a while, even though it will be my only current automotive project. I think I've a similar approach with my project. I'm based in maynooth, I might ping you for advice at some point! I am struggling to find some basic recipe on how to join all of this together.. particularly the high voltage side.
What is your thinking on battery install, are you going to get all of that 24kwh pack fitted to the 30? Have you BMS sorted?
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

nkiernan wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:34 pm Cheers for that. Ohhh, will the 240z get the 'treatment' at some stage too!? Still making progress on the L322, hoping to get a good update on the projects thread this weekend
Sorry man for not getting back to you on this! There's no current plans to convert the Datsun. I'll keep it as is for a few years; it has a fully reconditioned drive train and new triple webers, it'd be a shame not to enjoy them a while! it is a good candidate for a conversion though, all JDM cars were highly modified, this wouldn't be an exception. Tesla rear axle with flared arches and fat tyres? What ya think?
philbrennan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:48 am Just caught up on this thread - very nice. I'm going a similar way with my e39. Probably it will take a while, even though it will be my only current automotive project. I think I've a similar approach with my project. I'm based in maynooth, I might ping you for advice at some point! I am struggling to find some basic recipe on how to join all of this together.. particularly the high voltage side.
What is your thinking on battery install, are you going to get all of that 24kwh pack fitted to the 30? Have you BMS sorted?
No problem Phil, I'll be hopefully starting to convert mine in a little over a month. I pretty much have all the parts and just looking to get the car off the road and started now. PM me and we can organise a call if you want. Happy to help. note though, I'm a relative newb too!
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

Thanks a mill Kev. I'm a newb so I'm finding your perspective on this to be useful.
paaa

Post by paaa »

@kevpatts how are you getting on with your project ?
paaa

Post by paaa »

philbrennan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:32 pm Thanks a mill Kev. I'm a newb so I'm finding your perspective on this to be useful.
Phiil im only out the road from you in kilcock , could visit you sometime if you like.
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

paaa wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:24 am @kevpatts how are you getting on with your project ?
Hey Patrick, all quiet on the western front at the moment. Waiting to drive the Datsun back from The Netherlands in 2 weeks time.
binder-image10-uI2eRKkmMzw.jpg
I'll be taking the Boss Hogg (BMW) off the road to start the conversion in a month or two.
philbrennan

Post by philbrennan »

paaa wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:25 am Phiil im only out the road from you in kilcock , could visit you sometime if you like.
Cheers I'll send ya a pm
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

How's this project progressing?

Does the GS450h drive train fit in the transmission tunnel of the e30 OK? - I'm looking to use this drive train in a 3 series touring
Project : GS450h into BMW 3 Series Touring?
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

Conversion hasn't started yet, getting very close though! Hoping Damien will have his video out soon about the wiring of the Zombie to the GS450h. It's not really needed as I've mapped out the connections, but damn it will be helpful!
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

Have you seen this one - walking through the Zombie wiring to the GS450h

I think the wiring diagram is on the openinverter wiki
Project : GS450h into BMW 3 Series Touring?
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

Yep, Watched it all back when it came out, never again! ;)

Nah, really I'm sorting some things out with the Datsun that just arrived before I take the BMW off the road. The Datsun got some damage in transit so I'm working with the insurance company to get that repaired. It may be off the road for a while to get repainted so holding off. Not in a rush at the moment so was going to wait for Damien's GS450h specific video.
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

It’s found a home for the project. Just gotta get the initial assessment by the engineer done and I’ll finally be getting started on her.
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

Finally got started on some work today. Only had a few hours but got the doors and bonnet off, oil and water drained, sorry looking radiator removed, air box removed, battery and coil removed and linkaged disconnected.

I can only work on it on Saturdays where it is, so progress will be slow.

Next week I hope to get exhaust off, fuel drained, fuel tank out, prop shaft out and possibly engine & gearbox out.

Some pics:
IMG_0260.jpeg
IMG_0262.jpeg
IMG_0263.jpeg
IMG_0265.jpeg
IMG_0266.jpeg
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Great to see this build kicking off! Looking forward to updates. Let me know if you need anything as I'm just down the road.
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

Hey all, sorry for the delayed reply, things are moving very slowly.

I'm still stripping the ICE components from the car. Had problems with the prop shaft but I got it off. Exhaust and fuel tank too. Can't work on it this Saturday morning so have to wait until next Saturday to pull the engine out. Then the real fun begins!

This 4 hour window per week to work on it is killing me!

p.s. anyone recommend a residential solar/battery installer? My new house has solar for the heating but looking to get more solar and battery backup.
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

Progress..
IMG_0494.jpeg
IMG_0497.jpeg