We will no longer be able to hide subscribers count on YouTube

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Gregski

We will no longer be able to hide subscribers count on YouTube

Post by Gregski »

Starting on July 29, 2022, channels will no longer be able to hide their subscriber count on YouTube

I was welcomed by that notice on my YouTube channel this morning, and thought I use that feature but I never thought of it as "hiding" I thought like those that do show their subscriber counts are more like boastings

anyway just wanted to share this and see if any of youz have seen it already, and what are your thoughts on it, I think it should be up to us [ahem] customers to decide which "features" we want to enable, as in freedom and shiet

Subs Notice.jpg
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
johu
Site Admin

Re: We will no longer be able to hide subscribers count on YouTube

Post by johu »

yeah google make a lot of decisions for you these days. Like hiding dislike count "to protect you"
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

johu wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:26 pmyeah google make a lot of decisions for you these days..."
hmmm, in that case maybe I should marry it then!!!
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
remy_martian

Post by remy_martian »

It's the content, not the subscriber count that matters.

For example, there are Youtubers that used to build fantastic technical contraptions when they had below 500k, but after 3M they were digging tunnels under their houses to satisfy the idiots they picked up as subs who merely wanted a clown show.
Friends don't let software friends do hardware design
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

AvE hid the subscription count on his channel a few years ago because the gamification was creating a negative (emotional) positive feedback loop for him. Started caring more about pumping his numbers and the constant ratrace to get ahead, when he just wanted to goof around in the shop.

Well, that's exactly what Youtube doesn't want to allow you to do. Everyone should be obsessed about their numbers and make more more more content.
remy_martian wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:39 pmFor example, there are Youtubers that used to build fantastic technical contraptions when they had below 500k, but after 3M they were digging tunnels under their houses to satisfy the idiots they picked up as subs who merely wanted a clown show.
When you are as cool as Colin Furze, then you can criticize his project choices.

He was a plumber who built a Wall of Death out of scrap pallets to ride a scooter around sideways.

He holds multiple entries in the Guinness Book of World Records for ridiculous feats.

He burned the flesh off his hands and arms in a wrist-mounted flamethrower accident.

He used to build devices and such from movies, but more or less got scooped by the Hacksmith and his team, so he pivoted a bit.

He built a hover bike that risked his life to get off the ground.

He gets offered large amounts of budget to build cool things, that he'd never get to build. Giant Tie Fighter playhouses, underground bunkers, etc.

He wrote a book with plans for kids to build cool projects without expensive tools (like GoKarts that don't need you to weld, etc).

Dude has a family, and just wanted to chill.

At the start of Covid, lockdowns in England were strict. He could only build projects out of things he already had, or could scrounge from his friends. It wasn't like the US where Home Depots flourished.

What more does he have to prove? At some point he's going to have to do safer things.

And, he was co-host with Tom Scott on a national TV series before he even did Youtube, so, it's not like this is some new thing to him.

Through it all he has no editor, no staff, still lives in the same house, hasn't gone after wealth.

I think the tunnel's pretty cool.
Mojave

Post by Mojave »

I read somewhere that it was to crack down on the spam/clone accounts that try to steal a popular channels identity to pull scams. That way if you do somehow end up on their (copied) homepage they cant hide that they don't actually have the successful channel they are claiming to have.
I don't have a public youtube channel so I have no idea if any of that is true or even a thing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Good old pootube. Someone (ironically) summed it up for me in a comment on one of my videos : "What's better than having money? More money".
I'm going to need a hacksaw