Remy HVH-250 090S vs Siemens 1PV5135-4WS14

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
mdrobnak

Remy HVH-250 090S vs Siemens 1PV5135-4WS14

Post by mdrobnak »

So it looks like the weight of the HVH-250 is 50kg vs about 86 kg. There's a forum member on DIY Electric car selling an HVH-250 90S, and I'm wondering if that's a good idea for $2000 + shipping from Canada possibly vs ~$2800 + shipping from EVTV or EVWest...

Thoughts? Going to use withe Prius inveter..
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Remy HVH-250 90S vs Siemens 1PV..(Azure Dynamics)

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

mdrobnak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:52 pm ~$2800 + shipping from EVTV or EVWest...
iirc EVTV had a clearance sale for Siemens at 600 USD so it might be worth asking if that's still the case. Also watch eBay for motors from the AZD auction.

No doubt EV West are under pressure like everyone else at this time... they might do you a deal :)
mdrobnak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:52 pm Going to use withe Prius inveter..
Using the Siemens will be much easier and you'll have a working project to follow (here). The motor is also still in production at Siemens so getting spares in future should be possible.

If you go the REMY route you're on your own :(
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Yikes, they are definitely not listed on their site at that cost any more. That would have been great.

The Remy looks like it makes a bit more torque at 400V for a little bit longer.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

mdrobnak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:53 pm The Remy looks like it makes a bit more torque at 400V for a little bit longer.
It'll make zero torque if you can't get it working with the Prius inverter ;)

Obviously, do whatever you want but make sure you have the skills to get this working on your own if required.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:37 pm
mdrobnak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:53 pm The Remy looks like it makes a bit more torque at 400V for a little bit longer.
It'll make zero torque if you can't get it working with the Prius inverter ;)

Obviously, do whatever you want but make sure you have the skills to get this working on your own if required.
:D Sure, having pre-tuned parameters is definitely preferred. However, weight is also something to think about. arber333 I think used this and I was hoping to hear their thoughts.

I found updated curves: https://cdn.borgwarner.com/docs/default ... r-3-16.pdf and for 350V it seems to drop off around the same spot as 300V for the Siemens...so it's definitely a toss-up.

-Matt
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Well here it is its twin brother from BMW X6 without alu casing and oil pan because X6 transmission takes care of oil cooling and lubrication.

I can vouch it works with Johannes controler and resolver interface.
Its specs are 350A up to 600V. So it seems best torque would be at higher RPM.

I find HVH much smaller than Siemens motor though. It is a 10pole PM motor and very torquey...
You need to design some oil cooling or some system of bearing lubrication that gets oil into motor and is spreaded on the winding and rotor inside and finally collected on the bottom in the oil pan. This motor can be used with higher voltage systems. I would say minimum usable for car is 350Vdc.

1PV is ACIM motor though. Much safer and easier to command with Johannes controler. Water cooled...
Heavy though...
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Hmm. Looking at 6x60.8 LG cells from the Pacifica was my original plan. That would give 360 nominal, and 384 fully charged I think. I do expect to use a full clutch setup (this specifically: http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/mobile/t ... p1550.aspx

Stock redline is 6500 RPMs, so 0-5500 is where I hope for most tq and power. I'm 100% certain I can make this work with the Siemens, just wondering if this isn't a better motor. Are these the same ones offered by AM racing, or are those modified versions? Those are $9k new... The one I was looking at had less than 500 miles use if I remember right.

-Matt
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

mdrobnak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:53 pm Yikes, they are definitely not listed on their site at that cost any more. That would have been great.
You'll need to ask EVTV and EV West the current pricing... I suspect Jack want's rid of the Siemens (group buy opportunity?) and Michael would probably like some cash.

Meanwhile in The Netherland's Damien's ex-Siemens is 800 Euro;

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=99&p=9271#p9271
widdershinscc

Post by widdershinscc »

arber333 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:57 pm
Well here it is its twin brother from BMW X6 without alu casing and oil pan because X6 transmission takes care of oil cooling and lubrication.

I can vouch it works with Johannes controler and resolver interface.
Its specs are 350A up to 600V. So it seems best torque would be at higher RPM.

I find HVH much smaller than Siemens motor though. It is a 10pole PM motor and very torquey...
You need to design some oil cooling or some system of bearing lubrication that gets oil into motor and is spreaded on the winding and rotor inside and finally collected on the bottom in the oil pan. This motor can be used with higher voltage systems. I would say minimum usable for car is 350Vdc.

1PV is ACIM motor though. Much safer and easier to command with Johannes controler. Water cooled...
Heavy though...
Hello @arber333

I've also seen you spin this up on some other threads.

I'm trying to get the larger one going on a Prius Gen3.

I'm starting with the leaf EM57 settings and changing the pole # and going from there.

Should I be able to spin this without the resolver as a test? I swear I saw video on your blog with the resolver plug hanging. I haven't wired that yet :)

I have a 60v 5a bench power supply. I wonder if that is enough?

Do you know what the Open Inverter settings are for these HVH-250 motors are?

Do I have to swap any of the outputs?

I would appreciate any information you have on it. I have 3 of these laying around asking to be spun.

Thanks,
widdershinscc