Leaf Gen 1 board

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
electric_e60

Re: Leaf Gen 1 board

Post by electric_e60 »

I wish I found this thread earlier, I was unable to find the white connector anywhere after damaging the first one and had to buy a replacement inverter just for the connector. Good news is the inverter is only $200, Now I have 2 inverters for whatever reason and know where to get a hold of the connector:).

Anywho, Just bought the v3 Brainboard, Had my Gen 1 Leaf adapter made and ordered parts from the BOM. I'll test and report back when I get a hold of all parts. For now I'll keep reading through the Docs.

Is the process for the Gen1 and brainboard similar to the Gen2? Just attach the brainboard to the adapter, connect wires to the white connector? What pins power the motor?
lpitka

Post by lpitka »

I have installed the Leaf Gen 1 adapter with my V3 brain board into my Leaf Gen 1 Inverter, but I still haven't got the motor to spin yet.

The DESAT error is always asserted, even before I try to run the motor in manual mode from the web interface. Has anyone else made it past this point?
lpitka

Post by lpitka »

Update: Got the motor spinning! We had to remove the DESAT pin (and connect the forward pin to 12V...). Looks like the alert signal on this Leaf inverter is active high instead of active low. Does anyone know if this polarity is easily changed in the brainboard firmware? If not, it might be easier to invert the signal with hardware.

The inverter enclosure can't close with brain board being a daughter board on top of the adapter board, so I will have to design a new board to combine the brain board and adapter board (and integrate the brain board test circuit too).
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

That is very useful feedback. Too bad the universal brain board approach doesn't work here. How much extra room would there need to be? Would it work upside down?
The DESAT pin feeds into a NAND tree, i.e. it must be high in order for PWM to run. Inversion needed... Maybe an NPN transistor for now
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
electric_e60

Post by electric_e60 »

lpitka wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:36 pm Update: Got the motor spinning! We had to remove the DESAT pin (and connect the forward pin to 12V...). Looks like the alert signal on this Leaf inverter is active high instead of active low. Does anyone know if this polarity is easily changed in the brainboard firmware? If not, it might be easier to invert the signal with hardware.

The inverter enclosure can't close with brain board being a daughter board on top of the adapter board, so I will have to design a new board to combine the brain board and adapter board (and integrate the brain board test circuit too).
Thanks for reporting back. What pin is the DESAT pin? Is it on the v3 board or the adapter board?
lpitka

Post by lpitka »

johu wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:47 pm That is very useful feedback. Too bad the universal brain board approach doesn't work here. How much extra room would there need to be? Would it work upside down?
The DESAT pin feeds into a NAND tree, i.e. it must be high in order for PWM to run. Inversion needed... Maybe an NPN transistor for now
It might work with the brain board on the bottom side of the adapter board. I will take a look when I'm back in the shop on the weekend.

Another option would be to rearrange the adapter board so the brain board can sit right on top of the adapter board and be soldered to it instead of having to use female headers. Currently female headers are needed because the brain board would otherwise collide with CN4 and CN5, and the WiFi module would collide with CN1. If the brain board could be moved up a few mm on the adapter board then it would no longer collide with CN4 and CN5, and CN1 could be moved to the other side of the WiFi module. In this case, the brain board would be able to sit low enough on the adapter board to fit in the inverter enclosure.

I will add a transistor to invert the DESAT signal on the next board I order. Simple fix to the problem.
lpitka

Post by lpitka »

electric_e60 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:52 am
lpitka wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:36 pm Update: Got the motor spinning! We had to remove the DESAT pin (and connect the forward pin to 12V...). Looks like the alert signal on this Leaf inverter is active high instead of active low. Does anyone know if this polarity is easily changed in the brainboard firmware? If not, it might be easier to invert the signal with hardware.

Thanks for reporting back. What pin is the DESAT pin? Is it on the v3 board or the adapter board?
The DESAT pin is on the V3 board and is used to detect desaturation of the motor, as described in the theory section of the WiKi: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Hardware_ ... _Operation

There are 5 fault signals on CN3 of the adapter board that are all tied to this pin. Johannes noted these pins in a post a few pages back in this forum topic.
electric_e60

Post by electric_e60 »

lpitka wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:01 am
johu wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:47 pm That is very useful feedback. Too bad the universal brain board approach doesn't work here. How much extra room would there need to be? Would it work upside down?
It might work with the brain board on the bottom side of the adapter board. I will take a look when I'm back in the shop on the weekend.

Another option would be to rearrange the adapter board so the brain board can sit right on top of the adapter board and be soldered to it instead of having to use female headers. Currently female headers are needed because the brain board would otherwise collide with CN4 and CN5, and the WiFi module would collide with CN1. If the brain board could be moved up a few mm on the adapter board then it would no longer collide with CN4 and CN5, and CN1 could be moved to the other side of the WiFi module. In this case, the brain board would be able to sit low enough on the adapter board to fit in the inverter enclosure.

I will add a transistor to invert the DESAT signal on the next board I order. Simple fix to the problem.
Thanks. After removing DESAT pin, did you just have to put power to pin 7 and connect grounds to get the inverter working? I tried and had no luck.
lpitka

Post by lpitka »

electric_e60 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:59 pm Thanks. After removing DESAT pin, did you just have to put power to pin 7 and connect grounds to get the inverter working? I tried and had no luck.
Here are the basic steps I followed to get the motor spinning: After following these steps the motor started to work. If you have issues then make sure to check the error log.

Good luck!
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Hey Lance,
you see me surprised - it works with pinswap=4 ?

Removed the trailing comma
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
lpitka

Post by lpitka »

Hi Johannes,

Yes, it worked with pinswap=4. I haven't tried changing any parameters yet. Waiting until we finish mounting the motor in the truck before we try adjusting parameters.
electric_e60

Post by electric_e60 »

lpitka wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:48 pm
electric_e60 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:59 pm Thanks. After removing DESAT pin, did you just have to put power to pin 7 and connect grounds to get the inverter working? I tried and had no luck.
Here are the basic steps I followed to get the motor spinning: After following these steps the motor started to work. If you have issues then make sure to check the error log.

Good luck!
thanks for your help. I decided to give it a shot today. Got The inverter powered on. Removed my DESAT, connected start -> 12V, hooked up 12V and GND But I get a "WARN - PWNSTUCK" and "STOP - MPROT" errors. Did you have these issues?
lpitka

Post by lpitka »

Did you upload the Leaf parameters json config file? I had those errors before I used this parameters file.
electric_e60

Post by electric_e60 »

Seems like I may be having issues with the parameters then.
I did upload the parameters.json file but got "out of range" error message when it tried to set curki to 20000 and for another parameter. I think That may be the culprit.

I'll try tinkering with it a bit more when I get home and hopefully I'll get the leaf motor to spin :).
lpitka wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:46 pm Did you upload the Leaf parameters json config file? I had those errors before I used this parameters file.
lpitka

Post by lpitka »

Make sure you are using the latest FOC firmware: https://github.com/jsphuebner/stm32-sine/releases

I believe the earlier versions of the firmware had a lower limit for the curki parameter.
electric_e60

Post by electric_e60 »

Thanks. Updated the firmware and the parameters uploaded successfully but the errors are still there unfortunately and no luck with the motor. Think I may have to do more digging.
lpitka wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:58 pm Make sure you are using the latest FOC firmware: https://github.com/jsphuebner/stm32-sine/releases

I believe the earlier versions of the firmware had a lower limit for the curki parameter.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Had a session with Soheil and Graison today and we got the Gen1 adapter board sorted. Most importantly: pinswap=2, i.e. swap resolver sin/cos. Just as important: negative current sensor gains, -1.7. Then it turned out the deadtime of 78 for the gen2 inverter is NOT sufficient for the gen1. We increased it to 150, maybe it can be lower but we held it there. We tuned syncofs of 49000.

Soheil found a voltage signal on CN3.12 which I assumed to be another fault signal. Will confirm this later when he connects it to the UDC input but he said he found a 9mV/V coefficient on it.

So maybe I will respin the board and put it on the shop. Would be good to confirm the fault pins. Right now they are disconnected.

So fantastic session and in the end the motor spun and regenned beautifully - Thanks guys it was fun :)
langoo

Post by langoo »

This is great news!
Robin Hellström
MR Electronics AB
Cees67

Post by Cees67 »

I would like to get started with this.
Before I have an adapter board made, does anyone have a spare one he wants to sell?
Leo M

Post by Leo M »

Hello everyone. Has anyone else started a Gen1 inverter with an Exanos adapter ? The development is interesting , but in my opinion undeservedly forgotten. With the parameters of the Ekhanes, nothing has worked for me yet (please share information about who started the inverter with this adapter.
Romale

Post by Romale »

I made 5 such adapters, but could not launch them. Constant error
evil neodymium :twisted:
Romale

Post by Romale »

:!: :evil:

new information!

I can run this adapter. tomorrow I will search for the corner and I hope it will work as it should. after that, I will be able to test the inverter on my buggy from a voltage of 130 volts (the gen2 inverter accelerates it from this voltage to 105 km/h)

johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Nice! did you find udc or any of the desat/error signals?
Romale

Post by Romale »

johu wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:55 am Nice! did you find udc or any of the desat/error signals?
hello.
No, I bit off the desat pin.
the victory is not yet complete. it is not possible to find the syncofs, the engine spins itself, it is worth touching the accelerator and stops only with the stop inverter command. pinswap = 4, current sensors 1.68 (if the current sensors are set to a negative value, then there is always an overcurrent)
InductiveJon

Post by InductiveJon »

Spent some time working with this board recently and wanted to add a few things:

CN3-12 is indeed the UDC signal. It needs to be pulled up to 5V.

CN3-14 which is connected to CN6-1 on the adapter board is not populated on my inverter harness.
CN6-3 Is connected to the inverter chassis via one of the board mounts

Still working on the desat but it looks like it goes to 2.5V on CN3-16,8,6. I haven't been able to get anything out of pin 4 or 13.

Got the board working using the same settings described above - pinswap = 2, negative current sensor gains.

We have made a prototype bracket which lowers the board and resolves the clearance issue with the cover.