Outlander PHEV: EV range increase?

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
wwojciech

Re: Outlander PHEV: EV range increase?

Post by wwojciech »

What do you think about procedure dbcam after changing cell from 40Ah to another better cell. As i counting, inside battery we capacity almost 120Ah cell from Kona, but i afraid 40Ah is max what can show(calculate new capacity)
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

It depends on the implementation if voltage is used somewhere in the logic then j think you might be solid.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
SharpSpring7

Post by SharpSpring7 »

arber333 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:47 pm Hi

I am preparing to make my own Ampera extension in the same way you did it. Can you tell me what kind of diode did you use? What rating?
I have here one 150A 600V and one 300A 600V transistors. I intend to use its reveerse diode.

tnx
Hi arber333,

Did you complete this upgrade? What diode did you use? I just purchased an 18 Outlander PHEV and would like to complete this mod. Do you have any info you can offer to help with the install?

Nesto produced a great schematic, but additional info would be appreciated!!

Thanks, looking forward to seeing this through!
arber333

Post by arber333 »

SharpSpring7 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:57 am Hi arber333,

Did you complete this upgrade? What diode did you use? I just purchased an 18 Outlander PHEV and would like to complete this mod. Do you have any info you can offer to help with the install?

Nesto produced a great schematic, but additional info would be appreciated!!

Thanks, looking forward to seeing this through!
See here:
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/?s= ... e+extender

I used VW Passat GTE battery. I found some old 300A IGBT transistors and connected GE directly so as to keep transistor closed and use only its diode in reverse. This works very good, but you need to have a good cooling body on transistor as i killed two from inadequate cooling.
SimpBMS keeps a 2s precharge for Ampera to stabilize before connecting the rear pack. Works up to 80km EV range on the highway.
SharpSpring7

Post by SharpSpring7 »

arber333 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:03 pm See here:
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/?s= ... e+extender

I used VW Passat GTE battery. I found some old 300A IGBT transistors and connected GE directly so as to keep transistor closed and use only its diode in reverse. This works very good, but you need to have a good cooling body on transistor as i killed two from inadequate cooling.
SimpBMS keeps a 2s precharge for Ampera to stabilize before connecting the rear pack. Works up to 80km EV range on the highway.
Thank you very much for the insight! I’ll take a look and see if I can apply your knowledge to my project!

Thanks again!

Does anyone else have any experience completing this on an Outlander PHEV?
SharpSpring7

Post by SharpSpring7 »

nesto1972 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:30 pm Hi X30!

I have done it with an extra pack on my Outlander and iam superhappy.now i go 120 km on pure EV(same voltage,84 ah cells Comes from Nissan 30Kwh)
So i can say ist very easy Installation only connect to rear Inverter put a fuse,contactor,and one Diode (for charging with OEM charger) thats all you Need!
There is no Need for PCb or hacking the CAN !!!!

Remember:
The simplest Things are the best.
Coming back with schematics and photos of mine.

Cheers
Thomas
Hi Nesto,

Are you still active on this board? How has this mod been over time? Are you still happy with it? Do you still get 120km range? Thanks!
edudan48

Post by edudan48 »

hello, please, if you can provide some pictures of what they look like with exact values ​​with the parts recommended by NESTO1987, it would be very helpful, is 2 contactor and. one diode . thank you in advance!

'''''''''1-CONTACTOR active after 2sec. after Ignitation.
For charging:
Switch off Ignition . also........ 1-CONTACTOR ........ of extention Batt. is off.
Bridge the contactor with a strong .......1-DIODE ...........so charging current goes over Diode !!!!''''''''
arber333

Post by arber333 »

edudan48 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:51 am hello, please, if you can provide some pictures of what they look like with exact values ​​with the parts recommended by NESTO1987, it would be very helpful, is 2 contactor and. one diode . thank you in advance!

'''''''''1-CONTACTOR active after 2sec. after Ignitation.
For charging:
Switch off Ignition . also........ 1-CONTACTOR ........ of extention Batt. is off.
Bridge the contactor with a strong .......1-DIODE ...........so charging current goes over Diode !!!!''''''''
I can tell you what i use:
1x DC contactor from VW Golf GTE battery pack controlled by the BMS
1x 250A HV fuse from VW Golf GTE battery pack
1x 300A single IGBT module connected in reverse so we use its reverse diode. GE pins are connected short in order to keep IGBT open
1x cold plate with fins and a fan to keep IGBT module cooled.
You can see the assembly here:
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... er-part-2/

Note that i had to add cooling fins to the IGBT plate because it heats up a lot when in use.
misterb1959

Post by misterb1959 »

pemtek wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:32 am This is something I am working on using another outlander pack. Also looking at how to control another charger, I am hoping I can work out how to control the 3.7kw charger / dcdc by can bus.

Phil
good morning, i am a new outlander owner and was interested to read the posts regarding adding additional range to your outlander. do you still have the vehicle? how well did it perform and what kind of cost would i be looking at to 'employ' the services of a company such as yours to undertake such a project please, or even some very tight hand holding during a DiY process. i am not a techy etc but can operate spanners and screwdrivers (and sometimes a VERY big hammer!)

Thanks

Dave