Battery opinions while I have the car apart?

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: Battery opinions while I have the car apart?

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Gregski wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:44 pm I know I am late to the party, but one of the reasons I steered clear of the Volt pack was because of the different sized cell modules (yes I know that's super dumb, please talk to my OCD side, I'll hold) anyway having two packs gives you at least two of the same size, so I would hodge podge something symmetrical and allow the car to dictate what fits where, so not so much range or performance based, as fitment and weight distribution maybe, just sharing my thoughts, that's al

hewk, maybe you could buy a third pack, so you have three of each size, lOl
I will note that it is possible to reconfigure the Volt packs. It's not the easiest thing but it's also not the most complicated.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

also it sounds like you have the smaller of the two packs at 16 kWh I think later they made the 18 kWh ones, not sure if it's worth it to swap but they are most likely same physical dimentions
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

The smaller modules of Taycan style battery makes it possible to even fit a pack in the drive / gearbox tunnel. Atleast that's where I'm aiming for with 12pcs.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Gregski wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:05 pm also it sounds like you have the smaller of the two packs at 16 kWh I think later they made the 18 kWh ones, not sure if it's worth it to swap but they are most likely same physical dimentions
Later ones are the same dimensions but different BMS setup
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

Hi Jon, Been awhile. I would suggest looking at the OX battery from Electric GT in California. I've been running them now in my M3 powered Musktang for the last few months with great results. 16 modules, 42 KWh and about 450 lbs. They are small and can be configured. Excellent C rating. Not cheap but powerful.

Jack