WTB GS450H connector

Buy and sell
Gigas

WTB GS450H connector

Post by Gigas »

I'm looking for one of these connector for the gs450H inverter for all the data lines n such but can not find one to buy. If you have one I would love to grab it off you! (pic for reference)
Attachments
Conn.JPG
What was I doing?
celeron55

Re: WTB GS450H connector

Post by celeron55 »

I tried to buy this from Ebay lately, and found it to be completely impossible. Only one breaker said they could offer a pigtail connector, and even they don't answer my messages anymore. Occasionally you get listings of the correct wiring loom for more than $200, but it's really rare and identifying it from blurry photos is surprisingly difficult.

There's a reason the replacement connector was thought up (see wiki), however the contacts for that are missing from electronic wholesalers also.

I think we need to either DIY the female connector to this (I'm planning to maybe attempt it), or create a pin mapping for the 35-pin Ampseal, which continues to be readily available and I recall has enough pins for this application as long as some power pins are combined into one and unused pins left out.
Gigas

Post by Gigas »

yep and yep - but I'm going to try and do everything I can as I tried to get the replacement equivalent part to no avail and other ways. I tried a few local places to but that like whacking moles. If all else fail I might have to go the DIY route too.
What was I doing?
ggeter

Post by ggeter »

Gigas wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:56 pm yep and yep - but I'm going to try and do everything I can as I tried to get the replacement equivalent part to no avail and other ways. I tried a few local places to but that like whacking moles. If all else fail I might have to go the DIY route too.
This may sound crazy, but I just crimped the proper female terminals to each wire and hand placed them on the pins without using a connector housing. Works great, although not weatherproof. Once I get my courage up, I'll fill the connector cavity with electrical epoxy to weatherproof. Yes, it's irreversible, but buying another inverter if I ever had to would be cheaper and easier than finding that connector.
Houston, Texas, USA
EV Newbie
1979 MG Midget + GS450h = "Mexus?"
IT Consultant
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I have started the process of making a wiring loom for testing my GS450H setup, and I'm using Molex Micro-Fit terminals for the signals, and some large Molex terminals for the power pins. Yes, these aren't even from the same continent as the proper terminals but I've determined they'll work for my purposes. Given our cold climate and the fact that the inverter is water cooled I think hot melt glue will work fine, but I will recommend epoxy.

Take into account the fact that the glue may flow into the terminals, locking their spring contact into position, i.e. making them not springy anymore. I think thick enough glue should be used so as to make it possible to avoid flowing it into the terminals and instead just gluing the wires into formation and waterproofing the "connector". I guess poking the wires through some sort of paper or plastic sheet before crimping the terminals would allow setting the glue on top of the sheet, avoiding gluing the terminals themselves.
+mitch+

Post by +mitch+ »

I just bought a GS450H on eBay so will heed your warning to get ALL connectors from the seller. I'm curious what happened to your missing connector.
--
More dramamine, Ma!
arber333

Post by arber333 »

celeron55 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:14 pm I have started the process of making a wiring loom for testing my GS450H setup, and I'm using Molex Micro-Fit terminals for the signals, and some large Molex terminals for the power pins. Yes, these aren't even from the same continent as the proper terminals but I've determined they'll work for my purposes. Given our cold climate and the fact that the inverter is water cooled I think hot melt glue will work fine, but I will recommend epoxy.

Take into account the fact that the glue may flow into the terminals, locking their spring contact into position, i.e. making them not springy anymore. I think thick enough glue should be used so as to make it possible to avoid flowing it into the terminals and instead just gluing the wires into formation and waterproofing the "connector". I guess poking the wires through some sort of paper or plastic sheet before crimping the terminals would allow setting the glue on top of the sheet, avoiding gluing the terminals themselves.
There is a rubber like compound for exactly that purpose if you need to reverse engineer a connector. 2 components make this rubberized plastic. Put pins with wires in and pour it inside the header If you use it pins inside will not be obstructed. But once you do this you cant get it apart anymore... I just need to find that link...
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Gigas wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:46 pm I'm looking for one of these connector for the gs450H inverter for all the data lines n such but can not find one to buy. If you have one I would love to grab it off you! (pic for reference)
If you keep an eye on the ebay listings for the inverters, occasionally they will be selling the inverter with the pigtail. I was able to buy just the pigtail off of one of those listings, just had to message the seller. Think I paid $75 for mine.