ZombieVerter VCU Support

EvSteeve

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by EvSteeve »

Hi guys!

I'm currently in the progress of installing a leaf setup, using the motor, inverter and pdm, we are using the ZombieVerter to control.

I'm hoping to use the chademo setup within the pdm, Has anyone made progress with implementing this with the ZombieVerter?
Kelju

Post by Kelju »

Kelju wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:25 am Yesterday I took Damien's float-refactor with "git clone -b", compiled it and everything was working normally.
This version does not have all the fancy new parameterization so I would assume that the bug is to be found somewhere in that direction...
I hate to bring these news, but I finally got a round to test this SW version and it has some serious issues!

Issue #1:
My pack is currently at 384VDC and I set the udcsw to 360VDC. I have a light bulb in series so pre-charging is slow. If I hold the start input high long enough so that I can hear the main contactor closing, everythin works fine and I can get the contactors to disconnect when removing T15.
However, If I do not hold the start input high long enough, the opmode will be stuck at precharge and disconnecting T15 will not disconnect the contactors (leaving the HV on!).
I found two ways to recover from this state. The first is obvious: Remove the permanent 12V supply from the Zombie.
The second one is: Apply the start input once again and long enough and confirm that the system is in run mode before removing the start signal. Now the Zombie will happily change opmode upon removal of T15 and the contactors open.

Issue #2:
When in RUN mode and applying FORWARD, the Zombie issue a torque command to the Leaf inverter and the motor will surge!
The first time this happened, I had the car on stands, 1st gear was in and no light bulb in series with the battery, so plenty of current available to produce torque. The acceleration was quite fast!
After this incident I included the light bulb in series again and verified from the web interface that potnom was 0% and Torque was 0% while the motor was constantly trying to spin (but this time not surging as the current was limited).
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

nkiernan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:28 pm So uploaded Kelju's .bin above (thanks for sharing Kelju - you are using a Leaf setup with the vcu yes?). To make it obvious if the inverter power relay activated I disconnected it from the inverter and just connected a continuity meter across the terminals so I could hear if/when it was closed. Everything set up, into the car and turned the key to on, then to start. Negative and pre-charge contactors closed...and on came the continuity buzzer, the inverter relay was closed. Positive contactor came in a short time later and off goes the buzzer...inverter relay was off again. From the code it looks like it should come on at ignition on rather than at ignition start.
Just a short update on this. Uploaded a bin file Paaa sent me (working with his GS450H setup, thanks Paaa) and as above, disconnected the wires from the inverter power relay and just connected a meter to check if relay closes at any stage of the start up. Good news, relay to send power to inverter (IC6 controlled) comes on at ignition start signal and this time when ignition start signal removed, the relay stayed on as it should.

Wired up the relay to the inverter and tried again. Web interface still shows InvStat off, so checked voltage was actually getting to inverter and it is but the 12V battery is down to 10.2V from all the testing so I'm thinking the inverter may need to see higher voltage than that to be happy. Will get the 12V charger on tomorrow and try again.
Kelju

Post by Kelju »

nkiernan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:16 pm Wired up the relay to the inverter and tried again. Web interface still shows InvStat off, so checked voltage was actually getting to inverter and it is but the 12V battery is down to 10.2V from all the testing so I'm thinking the inverter may need to see higher voltage than that to be happy. Will get the 12V charger on tomorrow and try again.
I noticed this same thing with my Leaf setup. INVstat reads "off", but in reality the inverter is on and it reports the INVudc and drives the motor.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

@nkiernan that sounds like a plan 👍
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Kelju

Post by Kelju »

Kelju wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:41 pm Issue #2:
When in RUN mode and applying FORWARD, the Zombie issue a torque command to the Leaf inverter and the motor will surge!
The first time this happened, I had the car on stands, 1st gear was in and no light bulb in series with the battery, so plenty of current available to produce torque. The acceleration was quite fast!
After this incident I included the light bulb in series again and verified from the web interface that potnom was 0% and Torque was 0% while the motor was constantly trying to spin (but this time not surging as the current was limited).
I tested this issue a bit further this evening.
When the motor surged, I had the parameters regentravel and regenmax, both set to zero.
This time I tried the following:
Regentravel 30% (default) and regenmax -30% (default) -> No motor torque @ zero throttle, smooth throttle response, when applied. If I take my foot of the throttle completely and too quickly, the motor starts rattling around zero speed and requires a gentle press of the throttle to come to a full stop.
Regentravel 30% (default) and regenmax -20% (default) -> No motor torque @ zero throttle, smooth throttle response, when applied
Regentravel 30% (default) and regenmax -10% (default) -> No motor torque @ zero throttle, smooth throttle response, when applied

This is as far as I went. I should still check what happens with values in the vicinity of zero, but I am suspecting that setting those two parameters to zero is what caused the surge so I'll avoid that situation for now.
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

Zechy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:26 pm My tmpm stays on 6400 no matter what I try.

I plugged a 10k Ohm pot in on MG2temp+ and - I can then measure a voltage of 0.2-3.8 on pin A6
When I plug the 10k Ohm pot into MG1temp+ and - I can only see 0.02-0.06 volt on pin A5

The value of tmpm never changes when I change the pot value.

I measured the voltages here:
MG1 and MG2 Temps.jpg
I managed to get my motor temperature to work by bypassing MG2 temperature in the code
Screenshot from 2022-05-08 16-09-24.png
I think the ADC on pin A5 is not working.
paaa

Post by paaa »

nkiernan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:16 pm
nkiernan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:28 pm So uploaded Kelju's .bin above (thanks for sharing Kelju - you are using a Leaf setup with the vcu yes?). To make it obvious if the inverter power relay activated I disconnected it from the inverter and just connected a continuity meter across the terminals so I could hear if/when it was closed. Everything set up, into the car and turned the key to on, then to start. Negative and pre-charge contactors closed...and on came the continuity buzzer, the inverter relay was closed. Positive contactor came in a short time later and off goes the buzzer...inverter relay was off again. From the code it looks like it should come on at ignition on rather than at ignition start.
Just a short update on this. Uploaded a bin file Paaa sent me (working with his GS450H setup, thanks Paaa) and as above, disconnected the wires from the inverter power relay and just connected a meter to check if relay closes at any stage of the start up. Good news, relay to send power to inverter (IC6 controlled) comes on at ignition start signal and this time when ignition start signal removed, the relay stayed on as it should.

Wired up the relay to the inverter and tried again. Web interface still shows InvStat off, so checked voltage was actually getting to inverter and it is but the 12V battery is down to 10.2V from all the testing so I'm thinking the inverter may need to see higher voltage than that to be happy. Will get the 12V charger on tomorrow and try again.
I had a similar issue , check you inverter coms wirings correct, , also inverter should make a high pitched noise when powered up. Cant remember if I fixed the throttle scaling in that bin but think I did.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

paaa wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:44 pm I had a similar issue , check you inverter coms wirings correct, , also inverter should make a high pitched noise when powered up. Cant remember if I fixed the throttle scaling in that bin but think I did.

I will need to go back and recheck the comms wiring alright. Charged the 12V battery and retried but no whine from inverter and no motor spin. Tried connecting 12V PSU directly to inverter power pins out of curiosity and at 13V there is a 1.05A current draw, but no high pitch noise like I remember when using the GS450H vcu. I think I might retry that to make sure.

Appear to be getting zero potnom. Can get both accelerator pots graphed when moving pedal, but watching potnom and refreshing, it stays at zero. Funny torque curve too, so will check through my settings again.

Torque-Potnom-Plot.JPG
WebInt001.JPG
WebInt002.JPG
WebInt005.JPG
WebInt006.JPG
WebInt007.JPG
WebInt008.JPG
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Vehicle "None" is that correct? i think you need to select something there if i remember the code correctly.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Zechy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:26 am I think the ADC on pin A5 is not working.
Did you try swapping the sensor lead over to the other VCU pin? that way you can test the PCB with a known good sensor/wireing maybe?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

nkiernan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:45 pm I will need to go back and recheck the comms wiring alright. Charged the 12V battery and retried but no whine from inverter and no motor spin. Tried connecting 12V PSU directly to inverter power pins out of curiosity and at 13V there is a 1.05A current draw, but no high pitch noise like I remember when using the GS450H vcu. I think I might retry that to make sure.

So I wanted to confirm that my GS450H transmission and inverter were still operating normally and that it wasn't something wrong with the inverter that is affecting the Zombieverter working. I T'd in my GS450H VCU into the Zombie setup so that I can swap between either (common ignition on, gear select, inverter comms, accelerator from vehicle, etc).

ZombieVsGS450H.JPG

Got the result I was hoping for, the GS450H VCU can run the transmission as expected both forward and reverse. So proves wiring should be correct and inverter communication is fine. So now I can swap back to the Zombie and work through trying to get that running the transmission.

Few things I noted. The comms wiring length is much shorter on the GS450H VCU set up, so I'm cutting the Zombie wires down. I also went more direct from 12V+ to inverter + via 10A fuse, which I'll copy on the Zombie.

I want to look again at the potnom and torque request plots on the Zombie, and will try EVBuilders query on selecting any vehicle instead of none.
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

Jonr wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:50 pm
Domt177 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:51 am
Zechy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:41 am

Thanks for confirming. Did yours also come with the kit?
Yes
I think I have the same issue with my kit. I see clock signals on pin1 of both both IC18 and IC13 when power applied - when ignition plus "Start" is activated, I see the output IC18 pin7 go high but no signal passes through. I'm not sure of the correct working behaviour to benchmark it.
The overall issue is the inverter never hums and the motor doesn't turn but the software setup looks OK.
I have an update. Whilst trying to work out why I didn't have any output from the zombieverter, I notices these https://thepihut.com/products/can-board-sn65hvd230

This uses the same chip type as the zombieverter and there were five in stock. So, only needing four for the Lexus interface, I bought them and using a cheeky method to de-solder them using two soldering irons, I transplanted them onto the zombieinverter.
Shock horror - the bloody thing worked - it had been duff chips all along! - I have a running motor on the bench.

Now all I need to do is buy a shunt, learn and build the battery side of thing, do the same for charging, oh, then just sit it all in a car and go for a drive. I reckon I'm 95% there.... aren't I?
Project : GS450h into BMW 3 Series Touring?
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

Jonr wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:31 pm
Jonr wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:50 pm
Domt177 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:51 am

Yes
I think I have the same issue with my kit. I see clock signals on pin1 of both both IC18 and IC13 when power applied - when ignition plus "Start" is activated, I see the output IC18 pin7 go high but no signal passes through. I'm not sure of the correct working behaviour to benchmark it.
The overall issue is the inverter never hums and the motor doesn't turn but the software setup looks OK.
I have an update. Whilst trying to work out why I didn't have any output from the zombieverter, I notices these https://thepihut.com/products/can-board-sn65hvd230

This uses the same chip type as the zombieverter and there were five in stock. So, only needing four for the Lexus interface, I bought them and using a cheeky method to de-solder them using two soldering irons, I transplanted them onto the zombieinverter.
Shock horror - the bloody thing worked - it had been duff chips all along! - I have a running motor on the bench.

Now all I need to do is buy a shunt, learn and build the battery side of thing, do the same for charging, oh, then just sit it all in a car and go for a drive. I reckon I'm 95% there.... aren't I?
Great work! Thanks for sharing
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Jonr wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:31 pm Shock horror - the bloody thing worked - it had been duff chips all along! - I have a running motor on the bench.
Nice work. I am expecting that this could be my issue too so. Wondering what is the simplest way to check the different IC's (I am presuming IC9, 13, 15 and 18 are the four potential problem chips). Is it a scope only job? And if so, is it simply check there is signal coming in on pin 1 of each when ignitiaon on and start applied, and also if there is a corresponding signal on pins 6 and 7?

I don't believe there is a software health check or debug to check this
marcexec

Post by marcexec »

Jonr wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:31 pm [...]

You bought up the remaining stock, didn't you? It's sold out now ;)
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

nkiernan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:37 am
Jonr wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:31 pm Shock horror - the bloody thing worked - it had been duff chips all along! - I have a running motor on the bench.
Nice work. I am expecting that this could be my issue too so. Wondering what is the simplest way to check the different IC's (I am presuming IC9, 13, 15 and 18 are the four potential problem chips). Is it a scope only job? And if so, is it simply check there is signal coming in on pin 1 of each when ignitiaon on and start applied, and also if there is a corresponding signal on pins 6 and 7?

I don't believe there is a software health check or debug to check this
I used a scope to view the square wave on pin one of both IC13 and IC18 and no output signal on pin 6/7. As there was no signal I assumed my batch of chips were duff and replaced all four. I believe you can get free scope software which uses the PC sound card to sample the signal - that would probably work fine for this purpose.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So good news is I just received a batch of new 65hvd230 chips from LCSC. Going to test a few at random over the weekend. All going well I'll request those who have been affected by the bad parts to make contact with me offline and I'll ship replacements. In other news am getting my ev feet back under me so will be working on the vcu project again soon.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:36 pm So good news is I just received a batch of new 65hvd230 chips from LCSC. Going to test a few at random over the weekend. All going well I'll request those who have been affected by the bad parts to make contact with me offline and I'll ship replacements. In other news am getting my ev feet back under me so will be working on the vcu project again soon.
:)
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Quick query on INVudc. You'll see below the ISA shunt is providing the correct udc reading, 60V 3A bench supply. INVudc is showing 9V and I had assumed this was the 12V system voltage reading for whatever reason.

Its supposed to be the HV DC voltage, and match closely to udc yes?

From reading back through the thread, I believe it should be around the 60V also, so what might cause that (measuring 60V at the inverter HV inputs with meter).

WebInt005.JPG
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

EV_Builder wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:12 pm
Zechy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:26 am I think the ADC on pin A5 is not working.
Did you try swapping the sensor lead over to the other VCU pin? that way you can test the PCB with a known good sensor/wireing maybe?
Thanks for the advice. I'll try with a know resistor and give it another go.
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

johu wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:55 am Could it have something to do with my latest changes?
viewtopic.php?p=38975#p38975

You can go back to the version before these changes with

Code: Select all

git checkout b9c8f19
If it then works again, please someone find out where I killed it.
You can work for way forward through my various commits by using the hashes from here: https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32- ... its/master
Hi Johannes. It looks like the problem is in fe50dff "Clear user messages before adding new ones"
The branches before that works.
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

nkiernan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:42 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:36 pm So good news is I just received a batch of new 65hvd230 chips from LCSC. Going to test a few at random over the weekend. All going well I'll request those who have been affected by the bad parts to make contact with me offline and I'll ship replacements. In other news am getting my ev feet back under me so will be working on the vcu project again soon.
:)
WOW!
Attachments
2022-05-25 164604.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yep. Still cant beat JLC trying to charge 2 grand for stm32f107 on todays board order. Declined with thanks. I will be testing the can transcievers as I have as soon as I have a minute and then will advise people who received the fakes to contact me with delivery details. I'm just wall to wall right now.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

I replaced the can transceivers on my vcu and can now spin the motors :D - what a feeling :)
CT200h inverter and Camry transmission

I'm using this version of the firmware:
stm32.jpg