Hall Sensors instead of Resolver/Encoder possible?

marcexec

Hall Sensors instead of Resolver/Encoder possible?

Post by marcexec »

Hi folks, I'm upping the voltage in my Suzuki in the next few weeks and have contemplated getting started in this "ecosystem" to learn about implementing CAN etc. for an eventual car conversion.

So, my stupid question is thus if a Prius Gen 3 V1c board can use standard hub motor Hall sensor inputs?
Resolver obviously not, but could it be configured as such under the Encoder option?
Or would this be a completely new feature with too little a user base?
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
johu
Site Admin

Re: Hall Sensors instead of Resolver/Encoder possible?

Post by johu »

Hall sensors would require a third input to the mcu. Said input is already in use for phase 2 current. So that would have to be moved.
So requires small changes in hardware and software and of course hall sensor support added to the encoder module. Do it ;)
I could never be bothered as hall sensors have bad resolution and openinverter firmware does not sport sensorless control.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
marcexec

Re: Hall Sensors instead of Resolver/Encoder possible?

Post by marcexec »

Thanks Johannes!
So a hardware mod on top of the SW - that's definitely beyond my skills.
I think it would be easier to put a resolver in the hub motor itself then. I'll park it for now.
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto