Chevy Volt Gen1 Charger

Discussion about components from Ampera/Bolt and the PSA group which owns Opel these days
arber333

Re: Chevy Volt Gen1 Charger

Post by arber333 »

Gregski wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:31 pm am I crazy or is the schematic mislabeled, and what is being called Proximity (pin 5) should actually be called Control?

EVSE Schematic.jpg
No Pin 4 is CP (Control Pilot), Pin 5 is PP (Proximity Pilot) and Pin 3 is PE (Earth).
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

arber333 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:35 pm
Gregski wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:31 pm am I crazy or is the schematic mislabeled, and what is being called Proximity (pin 5) should actually be called Control?

EVSE Schematic.jpg
No Pin 4 is CP (Control Pilot), Pin 5 is PP (Proximity Pilot) and Pin 3 is PE (Earth).
oh sorry, I guess i got the pins mixed up with the "positions" in the connector table further up on that Wiki page (that can be very confusing)
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

so I am successfully charging the truck using a first gen Chevy Volt charger and Damien's free Arduino sketch off of GitHub, however, I am unable to save the setpoint configuration to the EEPROM on the Arduino Due I am using

Wire.begin();
EEPROM.read(0, parameters);
if (parameters.version != EEPROM_VERSION)
{
parameters.version = EEPROM_VERSION;
parameters.Vol=0;
parameters.Cur=0;
parameters.Term=0;
EEPROM.write(0, parameters);
}

case 'z':
EEPROM.write(0, parameters);
SerialDEBUG.println("Parameters stored to EEPROM");
break;

Menu.jpg

Configuration.jpg

Voltage Setpoint.jpg
IMG_6288.JPG
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

lessons learned DUE.jpg
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Gregski wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:59 pm lessons learned DUE.jpg
Well you could still direct your due code to those basic values you want without eeprom. But true... in the spring i managed to design a due board which didnt allow me to connect USB port...DUH! No eeprom would help as i couldnt select the values.

Didnt that can board come with eeprom chip pinout? I allways assumed so.

So do i send you one of my due boards? I think i still have one functional. I must apologise i forgot last time we discussed this...
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:16 pm Figured I'd share this in case it helps anyone.
https://github.com/damienmaguire/AmperaCharger
Simple program to run on a due (sam3x8e) that controls an Ampera charger over a serial menu.
Confirmed working on my bench setup.
yes two and a half years later The Greg has grabbed the code and is using it to charge his BMW 530e battery pack, the code appears to yield WiFi output, I assume to one of them red cards, but I don't see the code to load on the red card to receive it, being a dumb @ss when I load the charger code on my Lexus GS450h VCU ver 2 and go to the red cards web page 192.168.4.1 I get the Lexus GS450h virtual gauges (well as expected) but that's not what I want

/*
* Routine to send data to wifi on serial 2
The information will be provided over serial to the esp8266 at 19200 baud 8n1 in the form :
vxxx,ixxx,pxxx,mxxxx,nxxxx,oxxx,rxxx,qxxx* where :

v=pack voltage (0-700Volts)
i=current (0-1000Amps)
p=power (0-300kw)
m=half pack voltage (0-500volts)
n=Amp Hours (0-300Ah)
o=KiloWatt Hours (0-150kWh)
r=HV Box Temp (0-100C)
q=third pack Volts (0-500Volts)
*=end of string
xxx=three digit integer for each parameter eg p100 = 100kw.
updates will be every 1000ms approx.

v100,i200,p35,m3000,n4000,o20,r100,q50*
*/
smaresca

Post by smaresca »

Question for anyone who has dug deep into the Chevy Volt Gen1 chargers. Some of the docs available here refer to master and slave modes -- has anyone gotten that mode working? I have two of these, driven using Lilygo T-CAN485 boards. Rather than driving them totally independently, I would really like to get them set up as master-slave to double the output power overall.

relevant quote from Lear_Charger_Documentation_10_23_2014.pdf:
"To configure a charger as a master, pin F (M/S1) is connected to +12V and pin G (M/S2) is connected to ground. To configure a charger as a Slave, pin F (M/S1) is connected to ground and pin G (M/S2) is connected to +12V. "

Steve