Hands On Electric Car Conversion Course - October 7th to 11th - Ireland

Kevin Sharpe

Hands On Electric Car Conversion Course - October 7th to 11th - Ireland

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

I'm delighted to announce the second of our 5 day electric car conversion courses. The course will be led by Damien Maguire ("Jack Bauer") and is intended to provide a solid grounding in electric car conversion for the complete novice. Full details will be published in the coming weeks but needless to say this is a hands on, practical course where you'll learn a lot about budget conversions and open source 8-)

The course will be held in one of the New Electric workshops near Arklow, County Wicklow, Ireland (approximately one hour south of Dublin airport, one hour north of Rosslare Ferry Terminal).

The course cost is 1,000 euros per person excluding transport, accommodation and food. A 250 euros deposit will be payable on the 9th September. Space on each course is strictly limited to a maximum of 10 participants.

We will repeat the novice course several times next year and intend it to be a prerequisite for joining our more demanding courses such as CAN bus hacking, motor selection, and battery system design.

Lots more detail will follow but if you want a taster have a look at Damien's YouTube channel (here) :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Hands On Electric Car Conversion Course - October 7th to 11th - Ireland

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

The September course is full but we still have a few places available in October 8-)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:35 pm The September course is full but we still have a few places available in October 8-)
Two places left if anyone wants to join us :D
jcwright45

Post by jcwright45 »

Just found this course via twitter. Its just what I have been looking for. Please let me know if there will be a Nov course or any late drop outs for Oct. thanks Jason
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

jcwright45 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:05 amPlease let me know if there will be a Nov course
Next course will be in March 2020.
jcwright45 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:05 amany late drop outs for Oct.
We have two space left for October. Send me an email if you'd like to reserve a space.
jcwright45

Post by jcwright45 »

Kevin, private message via forum is unfortunately stuck in my outbox??? I have however selected the I want to attend icon, which is now showing as pending.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

jcwright45 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:41 am Kevin, private message via forum is unfortunately stuck in my outbox???
PM's sit in the outbox until the recipient logs onto Open Inverter :)
jcwright45

jcwright45: Attending

Post by jcwright45 »

The reason, wrote:
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

People from across Europe joining us next week :D We'll announce the 2020 dates asap.
david

Post by david »

Hi is there any room left on this October course please?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

david wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:18 am Hi is there any room left on this October course please?
We have one space left. If you'd like to join us please email your full name, address, and phone number to sales@newelectric.ie 8-)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

DC controller theory 🤓
IMG_20191008_103745.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

using a Toyota Prius AC inverter as a DC motor controller 😂
IMG_20191008_120554.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

course participants enjoying the €1,000 electric car 😀
IMG_20191008_144533.jpg
james@N52E01

Post by james@N52E01 »

Thank you so much to Kevin and Damien for running a super course. It has made an incredible difference and was worth every cent. Like most people I had no idea what to expect coming onto the course. The other people on the course were a terrific bunch and all share the same passion. We all came from completely different backgrounds and somehow Damien took a room full of people off the street and in 5 days made us all ready to start our first EV conversions. None of us had an electronics background, some of us knew which end of a spanner to hold (not me btw), but Damien found a way to tailor the course to all of us. His delivery style was excellent and he was patient enough to go back over topics until we all understood. We covered topics like high (and LOW!) voltage safety, batteries, power electronics and the mechanics behind a conversion to name but a few. We made not one but 2 EV drive systems as a team and we came away armed with almost limitless options to make our conversion projects a reality.

Do I imagine we’ll hit problems and need help along the way... obviously! But we have a support network now and through this forum and all of the amazing likeminded people we have met we can help each other and share ideas and make sure that project makes it over the finish line.

Thanks also to Johannes for all of his hard work and giving us the tools to make our projects a reality.

(By the way, thanks for recommending that battery master blaster deluxe 7 million. :idea: ...private joke)
Darrenptalbot

Post by Darrenptalbot »

Looking forward to 2020 dates :)

Post by 924 »

Would you have any dates lined up for doing the course in 2020?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Darrenptalbot wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:02 pm Looking forward to 2020 dates :)
924 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:12 am Would you have any dates lined up for doing the course in 2020?
Will publish eight courses today :D