Leaf Gen 1 Inverter Board

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
james@N52E01

Re: Leaf Gen 1 Inverter Board

Post by james@N52E01 »

Mighty, the LV wiring is simple enough, just be careful as Fiachra mentioned earlier we both had trouble if you leave unshielded pigtails on the usb data lines, the interference they produce completely blocks out any serial data on either port 👍
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

james@N52E01 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:10 am Mighty, the LV wiring is simple enough, just be careful as Fiachra mentioned earlier we both had trouble if you leave unshielded pigtails on the usb data lines, the interference they produce completely blocks out any serial data on either port 👍
Thanks for the advice!
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I had the same problem.
I need a bigger hammer!
earthman

Post by earthman »

and if you use a сanhacker to get the necessary commands?
james@N52E01

Post by james@N52E01 »

earthman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:13 am and if you use a сanhacker to get the necessary commands?
Not sure I understand the question?
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

It seams this is the support thread for Leaf VCU as well as the Inverter Board. is this a correct assumption?

I'm about to start my LV wiring for my DM Leaf VCU. I have a Leaf pedal and ISA shunt installed and hoping to get it all working :)
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

vwbrady wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:25 pm It seams this is the support thread for Leaf VCU as well as the Inverter Board. is this a correct assumption?

I'm about to start my LV wiring for my DM Leaf VCU. I have a Leaf pedal and ISA shunt installed and hoping to get it all working :)
Check out Cookies project thread as he has some really useful pictures of the wiring
I need a bigger hammer!
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

I can't find any users with a name like "cookies"

Edit: found it!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=372
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

vwbrady wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:46 pm I can't find any users with a name like "cookies"

Edit: found it!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=372
On the second page of Fiachra's thread he posted three photos and the third is one of the ones I found most helpful but there are others.
Download it, open it and zoom in.
I need a bigger hammer!
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Alibro wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:09 pm
On the second page of Fiachra's thread he posted three photos and the third is one of the ones I found most helpful but there are others.

I can't find this user either. Got a link to this "Fiachra's thread"?

Edit:
After a fairly unusual amount of sleuthing, I've figured out that Cookie6000 and Fiachra are the same person... :|
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

vwbrady wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:25 pm

I can't find this user either. Got a link to this "Fiachra's thread"?

Edit:
After a fairly unusual amount of sleuthing, I've figured out that Cookie6000 and Fiachra are the same person... :|
LOL, sorry I should have been clearer. Fiachra Cooke has a great Youtube channel were he has documented his build.
I was referring to page two of the thread you posted a link to. :lol:
I need a bigger hammer!
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Edit:
Damn it! My covers blown.... to the Blatmobile....!
Fire ahead with the questions. Myself and James (@james@N52E01) spent many a long hour running down dead ends that never needed to be run down. I would say there are a good 2 pages in here where we just made a mess of things but found our way out.
Not done a lot on it lately but getting back into it now with new upgrades so will need to start reminding myself of the coding aspect too... which is fun :lol:
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Cookie6000 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 pm
Edit:
Fire ahead with the questions. Myself and James (@james@N52E01) spent many a long hour running down dead ends that never needed to be run down. I would say there are a good 2 pages in here where we just made a mess of things but found our way out.
Not done a lot on it lately but getting back into it now with new upgrades so will need to start reminding myself of the coding aspect too... which is fun :lol:
You can run but you can't hide. :lol:
I need a bigger hammer!
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Cookie6000 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 pm

Well ok then!

I just posted an update on my project thread: viewtopic.php?p=33241#p33241

and i decided to jump the Nissan Inverter CAN between the headers so i could connect in my ISA shunt that lives in my junction box. I'd be super welcoming of any feedback on this. From what i could gather im 98% sure these are on the same bus.
can jumpers.jpg
regarding the USB pins, I don't need these if i plan to just pull the pcb from the enclosure and connect directly, right?
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

I also created a doc to track my wiring that might deserve a share for review or reference

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk
earthman

Post by earthman »

it is better to use native leaf control, remove the arduino errors by sending signals to the can bus simulating the missing blocks.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

I read several pages ago that there was a wiki section for this leaf VCU, followed the link and it seems it's been replaced by the zombieverter - which is great but i'd think we still need a place to document our hardware and lessons learned, no?
shuma89

Post by shuma89 »

hello evryone.
I am new member. I am from georgia (caucasus, not from US)
my name is Beqa.
I want little help from you.
I want to replace old petrol engine with nisan leaf's electric engine. i want ro know how to run nissan leaf's inverter for other car.
it is 2011 nissan leaf. I want to have drive, reverce, parking and neutral buttons. may it drive with arduino or other cheap microcontrolers?
shuma89

Post by shuma89 »

In my country, georgia, there is very cheap second hand parts, as are leaf 1 gen motor with inverter for 300$, leaf gen 2 motor with inverter for 700$. If anyone wants i can ship them for you.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

There is a problem with my VCU - inverter CAN.

And I don't know what it is. 😅

I have HV connected and precharge works, but I only get reading of 0 Volts on serial USB. Even If i disconnect the can connector, it shows that, so I think something is wrong with the Leaf CAN.

Any ideas? I have the original Leaf wiring that I just Hacked the CAN from VCU to its twisted pair green and blue wires.

Edit: Measured harness,
When connected to VCU, CAN H/L has resistance of 120ohms.
When not or only inverter connected, it doesn't have any resistance at all.

The Cables I just measured intact.

Inverter plug gets +12v on green and light green.
GND on black
And CAN on the twisted pair.

What is the purpose of these? Just doubles the CAN bus wires?
DSC_7905.JPG
What am I missing?

I only have 170Volts now, but shouldn't it still give some error or something other than 0V measured?
DSC_7902.JPG
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

JaniK wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:19 pm There is a problem with my VCU - inverter CAN.

And I don't know what it is. 😅

I have HV connected and precharge works, but I only get reading of 0 Volts on serial USB. Even If i disconnect the can connector, it shows that, so I think something is wrong with the Leaf CAN.

Any ideas? I have the original Leaf wiring that I just Hacked the CAN from VCU to its twisted pair green and blue wires.

Edit: Measured harness,
When connected to VCU, CAN H/L has resistance of 120ohms.
When not or only inverter connected, it doesn't have any resistance at all.

The Cables I just measured intact.

Inverter plug gets +12v on green and light green.
GND on black
And CAN on the twisted pair.

What is the purpose of these? Just doubles the CAN bus wires?
DSC_7905.JPG
What am I missing?

I only have 170Volts now, but shouldn't it still give some error or something other than 0V measured?

DSC_7902.JPG
It may not matter but shouldn't you have a 120R resistor at either end of the CAN cables? If so the resistance should be 60R not 120R
I need a bigger hammer!
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Alibro wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:43 pm It may not matter but shouldn't you have a 120R resistor at either end of the CAN cables? If so the resistance should be 60R not 120R
I have the nissan original wiring harness and the 120r resistor is on the vcu board itself.

The original cable doesn't seem to have resistor on the inverter end and when plugged in, the inverter doesn't have one? Can someone confirm this?

I just added 2 modules for total of 197Volts and still nothing.

I will find a 120R resistor next. Lets see if it helps.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

It spins !

Reading 200V @ HV system, +12V from old ATX power supply.

I was looking for another 120R resistor, when I thought I'd read the thread once more..

- The problem I had was that I had printed out a drawing by cookie that has CAN H / L flipped and just connected my inverter like in this picture: NOTE download/file.php?id=3185&mode=view

- I also thank Fiachra for posting picture of the connector and a right CAN H/L schematic in this message where I saw the CAN bus colors flipped.
Cookie6000 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:58 am Following on from resolving the issue with the VCU over a week ago. I had the system running perfect. I am stuck now however in a new problem that needs your help.
... VCU Schematic v1.3.jpg ....
download/file.php?id=4879&mode=view

20200821_123505.jpg
download/file.php?id=4882&mode=view

20200821_123454.jpg
20200821_123427.jpg
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

JaniK wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:07 pm It spins !

Reading 200V @ HV system, +12V from old ATX power supply.

I was looking for another 120R resistor, when I thought I'd read the thread once more..

- The problem I had was that I had printed out a drawing by cookie that has CAN H / L flipped and just connected my inverter like in this picture: NOTE download/file.php?id=3185&mode=view

- I also thank Fiachra for posting picture of the connector and a right CAN H/L schematic in this message where I saw the CAN bus colors flipped.
Well done mate, good to see it spinning.
Agreed, Cookie's photos are great. :)
I should have suggested checking the voltages of the CAN wires as CAN Lo is a lower voltage than CAN Hi
I need a bigger hammer!
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Alibro wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:40 pm Well done mate, good to see it spinning.
Agreed, Cookie's photos are great. :)
I should have suggested checking the voltages of the CAN wires as CAN Lo is a lower voltage than CAN Hi
Yeah that would have revealed the error. I was allready feeling unlucky that something is broken, but it was just user error and now it spins, so I got a smug look on my face all day 😁