LDU Overcurrent issues  [SOLVED]

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
jon volk

Re: LDU Overcurrent issues

Post by jon volk »

muehlpower wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 am
Boxster EV wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:02 pm Thanks Damien. That's really good of you. I'll send a PM.
it looks like the whole gate driver can be exchanged after loosening 3 screws and re-soldering 10 wires!

Sooner or later someone has to deal with the renewal of the IGBTs, I would like to have the destroyed one to experiment with. I pay the postage, of course.
I think adequate removal of encapsulant is one of the biggest hurdles. Mechanical connections as you mention are quite minimal.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
muehlpower

Re: LDU Overcurrent issues

Post by muehlpower »

jon volk wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 am
muehlpower wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 am
Boxster EV wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:02 pm Thanks Damien. That's really good of you. I'll send a PM.
it looks like the whole gate driver can be exchanged after loosening 3 screws and re-soldering 10 wires!

Sooner or later someone has to deal with the renewal of the IGBTs, I would like to have the destroyed one to experiment with. I pay the postage, of course.
I think adequate removal of encapsulant is one of the biggest hurdles. Mechanical connections as you mention are quite minimal.
sure this is what i want to test. The suggestion with soldering was only that Boxster EV could get its unit back on the road quickly.

I want to try chemical variants, co2 blasting, mechanically or thermally
Boxster EV

Re: LDU Overcurrent issues  [SOLVED]

Post by Boxster EV »

Forgot about this as it was solved last year, but to conclude the thread:

The whole issue was caused by a faulty brake light switch.

As the code on the LDU would incrementally build revs as the brake was released on pot2, the faulty brake light switch would turn off thus telling the logic board the brake was fully released and to give it the beans dumping a ton of current into the inverter.

£10 OEM Porsche brake light switch indirectly destroyed one of the inverter phases and a whole world of pain.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.