Patreon Support

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Patreon Support

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

bulletbug wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:39 pm I suggest that to increase Patreon participation you may want to use a persistent ribbon, tag or other visual element that appears on the patrons info box to the left of each post.
Great idea :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
dima

Post by dima »

bulletbug wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:39 pm I suggest that to increase Patreon participation you may want to use a persistent ribbon, tag or other visual element that appears on the patrons info box to the left of each post.
That can be arranged just like the bottom "pop-up" banner. We can rotate another one with Petreon, just have to get creative ....
Patreon.png
Patreon.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 6795 times
Johannes, pose for a picture with an old card board that says "will code EV for food" :lol:
code-food.jpg
code-food.jpg (10.22 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

"torque measuring glove optional" :D definitely worth becoming a patron...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just copying this post made on Patreon.

Apologies again for slow updates on here. Lots going on behind the scenes as I'm sure you can imagine:) Its also time for change. Here on Patreon the tiers will be overhauled to actually represent some tangible benefits to supporters. Primarily early/exclusive access to design and software sources.
Due to a lack of community involvement I have made the decision to take some projects closed source. Those projects will be available exclusively here on Patreon.
Videos on certain subjects will also be exclusive on here.
Open source designs and design updates will be available on Patreon for 30 days in advance of release on Github.
A new area of work not related to EVs but using some similar technology will be here first.
That's it really. Hope this makes sense to people and thanks for your continued support.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I think that's a great solution, if nothing else than to narrow the community you're involved with down to people who care and are more likely to help. If it makes you feel like you're around a more appreciative crowd, all the better. Hopefully that prioritizes that this should be fun and rewarding for you, not to feel like you're working for someone else's profit.

Hopefully this does 2 things:

1 - Narrows the demands of the crowd by excluding some of them.
2 - Encourages more people to pitch in financially.

If you wanted to do a delayed open sourcing, I think probably the longest delays should be in the type of stuff that the commercial shops would find most valuable and that almost no DIYer is going to replicate themselves. The production-type stuff where shops can run off their own versions of your boards. For the amateur-level DIY, the people that will be buying your boards, a shorter delay on the BOM and instructions (what they'd need to use your designs) would suffice (plus you can mark them up enough to be worth your while). I'd suggest perhaps 30 days for that, but stretch even longer to 60-90 days for the production level detail that no DIYer would realistically need.

At the very least, if someone wants to manufacture your designs without being on Patreon, they'll have to buy one of your boards and copy and recreate the physical circuit itself, create their own files to send off to their fabricators. Hopefully the engineering time on that is more costly than simply Patreon support to gain access (even like, $200/month should be dirt cheap for that tier), and being a whole season behind their not-freeloading competition be motivation enough to contribute.

Only drawback there is, for those of us that try to pitch in with documentation effort, that aren't Patreons, we'll now be out of the loop. All decisions have tradeoffs though.

I'm really curious what the non-EV but invertery-esque stuff is. I guess I'll have to be patient though :)
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I'm game.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

One of my gripes about Patreon is that the support tier structure is not configurable by the person making the donation. There are a couple monthly support levels that are way too low or way to high for those of us in the middle, forcing a lower contribution than the value we get.

I have indicated same to Patreon, but their business model takes more of your donation away from the recipient the more options they offer to us.
MattsAwesomeStuff

I type in whatever amount I want when I support my creators. You're not able to do this?

The tiers are just set up by the creator so that different levels have different perks. But if their perks are at say, $5 and then $20... you can just enter $10 and it'll take $10. You don't get some inbetween level of rewards, but, you can donate any amount.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I simply typed in $25/mo on each. Didn't really pay attention to the level options. I don't have any real ability to contribute technical work =/
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:49 pm I type in whatever amount I want when I support my creators. You're not able to do this?

The tiers are just set up by the creator so that different levels have different perks. But if their perks are at say, $5 and then $20... you can just enter $10 and it'll take $10. You don't get some in between level of rewards, but, you can donate any amount.
It depends on the level the receipient has chosen. Lower cost options are very limited, I doubt our local friends fall into that category :ugeek:
MattsAwesomeStuff

ZooKeeper wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 amIt depends on the level the receipient has chosen. Lower cost options are very limited, I doubt our local friends fall into that category :ugeek:
No, I'm pretty sure you can type in whatever monthly contribution you want. You don't have to select from their tiers.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:55 am
ZooKeeper wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 amIt depends on the level the receipient has chosen. Lower cost options are very limited, I doubt our local friends fall into that category :ugeek:
No, I'm pretty sure you can type in whatever monthly contribution you want. You don't have to select from their tiers.
Both post are correct.
You can choose any amount you want. However, you will not get anything that is locked into a tier. I just looked at their FAQ. So if there's a $5 tier, and you pledge $5, but are not in that tier..you don't get those posts.

So. If you want to support them but don't care about exclusives, pick the button that lets you do as little as a $1, and know that every $1 helps. If you want perks, you have to pick a tier.

-Matt
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

After watching the tuning video from Johannes and some Irish geezer, I've decided Johannes deserves every bit as much the Irish geezer. Henceforth, I've upped my monthly contribution to Johannes to an equal amount that dodgy Irish geezer squeezes out of me ... bloody ... and so should you!
Geoff

Is this smoke trying to tell me something ... :twisted:
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Yes. That's quite a bit of filming that went into their latest joint venture.... After lots of vague ideas of how things work, it's cleared up the grey areas. Huge thanks again! Hope more Patreon sign ups!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I wouldnt give either of those weirdos a cent:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:51 pm I wouldnt give either of those weirdos a cent:)
HA! biggest scam i've ever seen ;)
yaroslav

Post by yaroslav »

In connection with the current situation in Ukraine, I received a letter with the following content:

Dear Patron,

We are likely unable to process your payment next month because the bank issuing your payment method has been excluded from the international banking system. This is the result of some Russian banks being disconnected from the international financial system and major payments processors ceasing operations in Russia.

This is a rapidly moving situation and we are in constant communication with our payment partners to better understand how we can support creators and their patrons. We are committed to making your account fully functional as soon as possible and working with you to get through this time.

We are watching the situation in Russia and Ukraine with empathy for all who are impacted. We hope you and your family are safe and out of harm’s way.

The Patreon Team
yaroslav

Post by yaroslav »

It's a pity that this is happening, now Johannes will not receive my payment, which upsets me a little, but can there be another way out of this situation.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Alright, that sucks. But who would expect that we stay unaffected... This is a small problem compared to those being bombarded. I guess just resume your donations once the situation clears out, whenever that'll be. And thank you for your support!
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
remy_martian

Post by remy_martian »

It's strange that Patreon has not informed the patrons..
Friends don't let software friends do hardware design