On A Serious Note

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
P.S.Mangelsdorf

On A Serious Note

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

I just wanted to say that my thoughts go out to any forum members in Ukraine and eastern Europe.

The friendly global community that is this forum is one of my favorite aspects of this hobby. I hope you and your families stay safe.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Jack Bauer

Re: On A Serious Note

Post by Jack Bauer »

I second that.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

It is hard to believe and makes me sad
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
midway

Post by midway »

I'm from Russia. It feels like we are sitting on a train driven by a crazy driver who has begun to have a spring aggravation. Almost everyone in Russia is against this war, and we pray to God to deliver us from Putin and his gang.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Konstantin is in Belarus IIRC. Hope he's safe.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

midway wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:44 am I'm from Russia. It feels like we are sitting on a train driven by a crazy driver who has begun to have a spring aggravation. Almost everyone in Russia is against this war, and we pray to God to deliver us from Putin and his gang.
I just hope this thing really stops at Dnjeper river and emotions do not flare up. Because if someone would loose their temper all you need is a stray missile to any NATO country territorry... an all out war in Europe!!!
I still have got grandparents alive who lived through WW2 and they tell me that in war humans do not act as rational beings. Lets hope at least someone is at the wheel.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I can't believe humans do it again and again. NO war will ever be justified logically. NO war will ever have a "winner". When there is war, everyone looses something! It makes me so sad, i could cry that this is happening :cry:
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Zapatero wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:52 pm I can't believe humans do it again and again. NO war will ever be justified logically. NO war will ever have a "winner". When there is war, everyone looses something! It makes me so sad, i could cry that this is happening :cry:
Every war is an armed robbery.
Winner is usually aside counting money.

If you think of it every murder is punished eventually exept those committed under a flag and anthem...
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

here here, we got family 40 kilometers away in Poland praying for them
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

arber333 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:52 am
midway wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:44 am I'm from Russia. It feels like we are sitting on a train driven by a crazy driver who has begun to have a spring aggravation. Almost everyone in Russia is against this war, and we pray to God to deliver us from Putin and his gang.
I just hope this thing really stops at Dnjeper river and emotions do not flare up. Because if someone would loose their temper all you need is a stray missile to any NATO country territorry... an all out war in Europe!!!
I still have got grandparents alive who lived through WW2 and they tell me that in war humans do not act as rational beings. Lets hope at least someone is at the wheel.
Don't forget the US and Canada are part of NATO also so I fear a 'stray' missile would cause WW3!!!
collin80

Post by collin80 »

SuperV8 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:45 pm Don't forget the US and Canada are part of NATO also so I fear a 'stray' missile would cause WW3!!!
And that's even worse. A lot of people in the US, me included, wish we could swing in to the rescue and crush the Russian forces to save Ukraine. It makes me sick that we're half the world away just watching in horror and hoping that Ukraine can pull through. But, logically, we have to. The entire world accuses us of being big bullies that butt into other country's problems. Perhaps we do. Perhaps quite often we have to. Here we cannot because the US and Russia have a very nasty history and both of us have a lot of nukes. It would not be good if, say, Germany got into a war with Russia. But, it'd be really, really, really not good if the US got into a war with Russia. Instead we have to hope that Russia is smart enough not to even accidentally attack a NATO country. But, honestly, would our administration really risk a nuclear war to defend Poland? I'd like to think that we would defend Poland or another NATO country if it came down to it. But, what would happen if we did? What would happen if we didn't? It seems to me that Russia is banking on this whole problem. We could crush Russia in conventional warfare. At this point it appears not even close. It'd be like watching Mike Tyson (in his prime) fight a guy in a wheelchair who has a broken arm and one eye. But, in this case the guy in the chair has 20kg of C-4 strapped to him as well and might do something drastic as he loses. It's not an easy situation.

Honestly I'm surprised that Russia hasn't considered all the weapons we're giving Ukraine to be an act of war. That is, after all, basically how the US entered WWII. We were heavily supplying the Allies with weapons so we could not be considered a neutral bystander and were always inviting the ire of the Axis powers. It was only a matter of time before the US's heavily arming one side came back to induct us into the war.

The only highlight to this terrible situation is how utterly poorly Russia has run the war so far. At this rate you almost expect the Benny Hill music to start playing. Seriously, Ukraine should pump "Yakety Sax" any time they see Russian forces.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

collin80 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:21 am
SuperV8 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:45 pm Don't forget the US and Canada are part of NATO also so I fear a 'stray' missile would cause WW3!!!
A lot of people in the US, me included, wish we could swing in to the rescue and crush the Russian forces to save Ukraine. ....
Road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It looks surprisingly similar to Russo - Finish winter war in 1939. I guess Ukrainians are showing a lot of professionalism fighting a kind of man vs machine war. Russians just seem not to want to be there... It could all change if russia would be invaded by NATO.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

It has just occured to me...
The longer they fight in Ukraine, the more destruction they will cause. And the more destruction the better for Russia as then nobody cant use that ruined country as a springboard against them. No matter how long this conflict lasts it will only benefit Russia strategically.
This means the sooner they start to talk about the main issues the lesser the destruction will be. I hope this conflict stops soon... :(
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

I don't know what Putin intended, but I can't imagine that anything that's happening now was his intention. Germany increases defense budget. Something 3 US Presidents wanted and couldn't do. In Finland, for the first time, there is a majority in favor of joining NATO. Gas deliveries from Russia will be completed faster. Also a wish of the USA, Putin made it.
Like the rest of the world, I still hope for an end soon and that it doesn't escalate further.
midway

Post by midway »

It is very difficult to sit on the throne for more than 20 years. Putin hid in a bunker from the coronovirus for a very long time, as he is terribly afraid of getting infected. Looks like he started to go crazy. I don't understand why our country needs this war, it won't bring anything good to anyone. I apologize to the people of Ukraine for our President Putin. We are trying to stop the war, but it is very difficult to do so. Police arrest for any attempt to call for peace.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Yes it seems to also be a war against Russians. 4400 people arrested for standing up against war. It was very worrying to see you president talk about "drug addicted leaders of Ukraine" as it seems he's not in his right mind and is in control of great destructive power at the same time.

Took the liberty to sort of copy your logo
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
midway

Post by midway »

Взял на себя смелость скопировать ваш логотип
Thanks for the support. Today I received a $1,500 fine for the "no war" logo on the rear window of a car. My lawyer is trying to cancel the fine. The Russian authorities call the events in Ukraine a military operation, not a war. But in Russia the laws do not work. In Russia, from March 11, 2020, the Internet may be completely turned off, the authorities are afraid of the truth.