Chevy Volt Battery heater

Discussion about components from Ampera/Bolt and the PSA group which owns Opel these days
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Chevy Volt Battery heater

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

For those who've messed with it, does the Chevy Volt battery heater require anything other than HV power to function?

It has a low voltage plug but it's unclear to me if that is a thermistor or if it is for control.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Bratitude

Re: Chevy Volt Battery heater

Post by Bratitude »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 pm For those who've messed with it, does the Chevy Volt battery heater require anything other than HV power to function?

It has a low voltage plug but it's unclear to me if that is a thermistor or if it is for control.

the lv plug is a thermistor.

you will need some forum of hv control for the heater. Do you still have the front relay panel from the pack?
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Bratitude wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:04 pm
you will need some forum of hv control for the heater. Do you still have the front relay panel from the pack?
Yes I do.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:31 pm
Yes I do.
I’ll see if I can find the wiring diagram I drew of the heater control. I’m guessing the module is regulated via PWM. I’m akin to use what Chevy used.

But I’m sure a hv rheostat/ssr and a contactor would do the trick.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Bratitude wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:34 am
P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:31 pm
Yes I do.
I’ll see if I can find the wiring diagram I drew of the heater control. I’m guessing the module is regulated via PWM. I’m akin to use what Chevy used.

But I’m sure a hv rheostat and a contactor would do the trick.
Appreciate it.

All I really want to be able to do is turn the heater on in the staging lanes to pre warm the pack to a certain temperature on colder days. I'll likely just use a toggle switch that to turn it on and then manually monitor pack temp via the BMS screen, and turn it off when its up to temp.

arber333

Post by arber333 »

The way i see its 750W heater with thermistor in a socket. The other thermistor is on the return pipe. I see from my front section there is 10A HV relay which turns the heater on and system also switches on fluid pump and 3point valve.
Since it is only 750W i wouldnt worry. Turn it on with 12V HV relay and use 5deg 12V thermostat switch to interlock GND from relay. That way you wouldnt overheat anything...
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

arber333 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:08 pm The way i see its 750W heater with thermistor in a socket. The other thermistor is on the return pipe. I see from my front section there is 10A HV relay which turns the heater on and system also switches on fluid pump and 3point valve.
Since it is only 750W i wouldnt worry. Turn it on with 12V HV relay and use 5deg 12V thermostat switch to interlock GND from relay. That way you wouldnt overheat anything...
I'm pretty sure it's 1750watts. I definitely could be wrong though.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

KimchiKimKim wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:31 am
I'm pretty sure it's 1750watts. I definitely could be wrong though.
No, i am sure it is in the neigberhood of 700W. Heater body is so short resistance wires wouldnt be able to give more heat. If you tried to lower resistance you would be in danger of burning the heater out.

EDIT: Found video from prof. Kelly look for battery coolant heater at 1:31:40 he calculates 750W from its resistance and general voltage.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

is this the animal you speak of, I had one in my hand the other day while searching for a DC to DC converter high voltage orange wire harness, neither I or the seller could tell for sure what this thing was, it appeared to have been made in Germany

IMG_8320.JPG
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Gregski wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:43 pm is this the animal you speak of...
No that is legitimate EV 5kw eberspracher heater. It is operated by SW bus which is a different thing from LIN bus. I have one at home and i havent yet been successful with it. I would need to make sw can circuit...
The one we were talking about is 750W wire heater which is also dispayed in the video.