Original Orion vs Orion 2 query

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
nkiernan

Original Orion vs Orion 2 query

Post by nkiernan »

I am using Tesla Model 3 batteries in my project and ultimately hope to be able to use the Tesla BMS system down the line if it gets figured out.

In the meantime, I've been looking for alternative options and see some on the forum are using Orion 2 BMS with these battery modules, and this is the direction I've been tending towards.

However, looks like I might have an option to get an original Orion BMS kit with harness and Model S replacement slave boards at a good price, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience of both and could comment on their comparison. Is it better to pay the Orion 2 price for the increased spec, or is the difference worth it?

Open to suggestions for other alternatives if there are any?
KimchiKimKim

Re: Original Orion vs Orion 2 query

Post by KimchiKimKim »

They are almost identical functionality-wise. One of the key differences is the j1772 integration on ORION 2 and the ORION 2 is also way smaller.

If you can get a good deal I would definitely go with the ORION 1.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Thank you for the reply. I ended up getting an Orion 2 kit from ZeroEv primarily due to the CCS compatibility (Tesla Model 3 modules with PCS and i3 Lim module)
tom91

Post by tom91 »

nkiernan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:52 am Thank you for the reply. I ended up getting an Orion 2 kit from ZeroEv primarily due to the CCS compatibility (Tesla Model 3 modules with PCS and i3 Lim module)
How is it compatible with the I3 LIM to do CCS? You are going to need a canbus gateway.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

tom91 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:54 am How is it compatible with the I3 LIM to do CCS? You are going to need a canbus gateway.
Hi Tom,
Yes, will have to work on the communication side to get it working. For now, I'm at the earlier stages so AC charging with the PCS and PCS controller will get me going, and intention is to work on the DC charging after
tom91

Post by tom91 »

nkiernan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:49 pm Hi Tom,
Yes, will have to work on the communication side to get it working. For now, I'm at the earlier stages so AC charging with the PCS and PCS controller will get me going, and intention is to work on the DC charging after
I should have something that should work "plug and play" with the Orion 2 and the I3 LIM. It works already with my SimpBMS and new EVS-BMS/VCU
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

tom91 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:07 pm I should have something that should work "plug and play" with the Orion 2 and the I3 LIM. It works already with my SimpBMS and new EVS-BMS/VCU
I've been following your new projects alright, cool to see. Will keep an eye on this one