Prius Gen2 adapter board development thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
johu
Site Admin

Re: Prius Gen2 adapter board development thread

Post by johu »

Can you try on the other inverter? Is you 12V supply stable? Shutdowns are triggered by the Prius driver, not the control board. So the driver is unhappy about something.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
kieran

Post by kieran »

johu wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:09 pm Can you try on the other inverter? Is you 12V supply stable? Shutdowns are triggered by the Prius driver, not the control board. So the driver is unhappy about something.
As in switch to MG1?, 12V is supplied by a bench supply with a server battery in the loop to suck up some of the hungrier components in my test setup, I guess it could also just be a faulty inverter then?
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

ive mounted a 2016 rav4 hybrid rear end into this 1942 truck frame.

its been more than a year since I was here.. anybody besides zookeeper had any luck with this? He seems to have stalled like me.

Attachments
20210617_144632.jpg
20211103_165738.jpg
20211103_165711.jpg
the priustoric boatcar guy
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Here's one active project: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1725

There's more undocumented Prius 2 projects
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

My project is on hold now that it's 'running' because of a battery setup I am configuring along with building a garage. It jitters in reverse, but fine tuning when I have coolant and brake assist is next.
steveknox

Post by steveknox »

I'm starting a classic mini conversion using an MGR from a lexus suv. I'll document it in a build thread once i get started 👍
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

imwoody36 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:20 pm its been more than a year since I was here.. anybody besides zookeeper had any luck with this? He seems to have stalled like me.
My problem is laying my hands on the vehicle, all the other bits are in hand.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
james@N52E01

Post by james@N52E01 »

The Figaro is nearly finished, great car but too much modification required to fit the leaf battery inside. Plan is to try again once it’s finished but with an MGR and Gen 2 Prius inverter which should free up a lot of space in the engine bay for other battery options.

@ZooKeeper I downloaded the params you posted a couple of years back for the same config. Have you done any updates since or is that still current? Hoping they will help give us a head start so thanks again for posting them.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

No significant changes.
james@N52E01

Post by james@N52E01 »

Roger
hugow93

Post by hugow93 »

It's been a while since I've been able to make eye contact with my project, but I'm now taking three months off work for other reasons and I'm determined to have something to show for it. Inspiring to see the first Prius Gen 2 projects rolling (well done RetroZero, Golf looks class!)

A couple of days ago I assembled a circuit with 12v - OI VCU - Gen2 inverter - 12v as "High Voltage" - lightbulb delta and went through the procedure:

- Switched the inverter on in Manual Mode
- Set fslipspnt to 1
- Set Ampnom to 75%
- Set boost to 20,000

AND THEN THERE WAS LIGHT.

It worked just as it said on the forum. Lights flicked on and off, and I could adjust the frequency by changing fslipspnt.
Buoyed by this milestone, I dashed off to collect the hefty Siemens 1PV5135 from storage.

I wired this up in place of the delta and swapped the 12v HV for ~ 96volts applied with a 60 watt bulb in series.

As I played around with fslipsnt, ampnom, and boost I could see the lightbulb draw current and illuminate, but the motor wouldn't spin.

I may have just been using the wrong motor parameters (base parameters copied below), but before I could figure it out I got a DESAT error, and MPROT status. Today I checked wiring and could turn the inverter on and off successfully, but after a few moments the DESAT error would crop up again and end the fun, even without any high voltage connected at all.

My fear is I may have damaged the inverter by setting too high a boost with the larger test pack.
My hope is that a brighter mind out there can help me "reset", get passed the DESAT, and figure out what's stopping the Siemens from spinning.

Thanks in advance, feels good to be picking this up again.
Happy New Year all!

{
"boost": 1700,
"fweak": 90,
"fconst": 180,
"udcnom": 0,
"fslipmin": 1,
"fslipmax": 3,
"fslipconstmax": 5,
"polepairs": 2,
"respolepairs": 1,
"encmode": 0,
"fmax": 200,
"numimp": 60,
"dirchrpm": 100,
"dirmode": 1,
"snsm": 12,
"pwmfrq": 2,
"pwmpol": 0,
"deadtime": 0,
"ocurlim": 50,
"il1gain": 3.12,
"il2gain": 3.12,
"udcgain": 3.71,
"udcofs": 327,
"udclim": 250,
"snshs": 0,
"pinswap": 5,
"bmslimhigh": 50,
"bmslimlow": -1,
"udcmin": 0,
"udcmax": 275,
"idcmax": 40,
"idcmin": -40,
"tmphsmax": 150,
"tmpmmax": 300,
"throtmax": 100,
"throtmin": -5,
"chargemode": 0,
"chargecur": 0,
"chargekp": 80,
"chargeki": 10,
"chargeflt": 8,
"chargemax": 90,
"potmin": 775,
"potmax": 3900,
"pot2min": 4095,
"pot2max": 4095,
"potmode": 0,
"throtramp": 0.81,
"throtramprpm": 6500,
"throtcur": 1,
"brknompedal": -50,
"regenramp": 0.5,
"brknom": 0,
"brkmax": -5,
"brkcruise": -30,
"brkrampstr": 20,
"brkout": -25,
"idlespeed": 0,
"idlethrotlim": 5,
"idlemode": 3,
"speedkp": 0.21,
"speedflt": 5,
"cruisemode": 0,
"udcsw": 0,
"udcswbuck": 540,
"tripmode": 0,
"pwmfunc": 0,
"pwmgain": 100,
"pwmofs": 0,
"canspeed": 1,
"canperiod": 0,
"fslipspnt": 0,
"ampnom": 0
}
Converting a1994 Suzuki Samurai soft top
| Siemens 1PV5135 Motor | Gen 2 Toyota Prius Inverter + OI Control Board | 24 kwh Renault Zoe battery |
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I doubt it's that easy to kill a Prius inverter. Is your 12V that you supply to the Prius power stage (not the control board) connected correctly and stable? What's the voltage level of MFIV?
hugow93

Post by hugow93 »

Thanks Johu!

Some head scratching and rewiring, then realised my 12volt battery had dropped to 6volts!
I swapped it out for a spare, and I got the lightbulb delta working again. All error messages gone.

I'm still doing something wrong when connecting the motor though, as I can't get it to spin in manual mode.

- I'm using 4.97RSine software
- I connected with 100v pack and a 60w bulb. As I changed the motor and manual run settings the bulb would light, but not a stir from the motor
- I found a set of parameter that Damian used when first tuning the Land Yacht with the Siemens and the Prius Gen 3, and copied the motor parameters across (attached below).
- I used a clamp meter on the phase wires, and all of them were getting ~equal ac
- I can hear the inverter whine changing pitch as I change the settings

Are there any points in particular I should be looking to measure voltage or current?
As well as the three phases, there is a ground terminal for the motor that I haven't connected to anything. Could this be something?

Thanks again for the help, I'm sure first spin isn't far away!

"boost": 200,
"fweak": 1000,
"fconst": 180,
"udcnom": 0,
"fslipmin": 1,
"fslipmax": 6,
"fslipconstmax": 5,
"polepairs": 2,
"respolepairs": 1,
"encmode": 1,
"fmin": 0.09,
"fmax": 150,
"numimp": 64,
"dirchrpm": 100,
"dirmode": 1,
"snsm": 13,
| Siemens 1PV5135 Motor | Gen 2 Toyota Prius Inverter + OI Control Board | 24 kwh Renault Zoe battery |
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

More boost!
The Gen2 inverter kills off phase current below a certain PWM swing. Very annoying.
hugow93

Post by hugow93 »

Thanks Johu! Got it spinning today!

I had to cut the 60watt bulb out of the circuit after precharge for it to work.

Also managed to blow my lightbulb delta and melt my phase wires along the way (they were a bad choice), but that's a side note.

It works though! Chuffed to finally get this bit working.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

GREAT NEWS!
geduxaz

Post by geduxaz »

Good day.
Setup: Prius Gen2 Inverter+ Gen2 MG2. 5,14 FOC. 215V pack.
Was able to move like 50 meters (used 100V) and started to redo all wiring, move VCU inside etc.
Car spins the wheels in air, but on ground get Overcurrent error after getting some throttle. Checked all wiring many times. Resolver wires etc.
Tried 4,96/4,97 now 5,14
what have checked:
Pinsswap is set to 5, resolver exciter gives sinusoid, but gets little distorted when connected to resolver. Read Sin/Cos sinusoids (on oscilloscope) when turning motor by hand that are getting smaller/higher amplitudes.

1. What parameters are measured to get into Overcurrent? Idc looks like not moving too much.
2. i cant get good Syncofs that car would move forward and backwards. It goes either forward or backwards.
3. Strange feelin about VCU. it looks like if I set plotting some parameters at first try car moves better.
4. Just guessing if VCU can have other parameters left in flash that are used, but not displayed? that can get damaged during FW update/downgrade?
5. When inverter started (no HV) and reading angle data i get some free spin and soon motor starts resisting the spin.
6. I use pot1, pot2 unused- not connected. i see pot2 value rising a little bit when pressing pot1. Is that normal? pot2min-0 pot2max-0

Looking for Gen2 Inverter + Gen2 MG2 working parameter set to compare the values.
Attachments
resolver connection
resolver connection
download (2).png (5.72 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
2022-01-16_2.json
bad config, overcurent
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
angle when moving forward
angle when moving forward
Idc almost not moving but get overcurent
Idc almost not moving but get overcurent
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I assume you have checked out Damian and Johu's video. There's parameters linked in that video which are a good start from Damiens bench tests. I managed 500 meters on 180v prius battery before it stopped. Probably a mix of not charged enough and no cooling plumbed in yet. Good luck 🤞
geduxaz

Post by geduxaz »

RetroZero wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:29 pm I assume you have checked out Damian and Johu's video. There's parameters linked in that video which are a good start from Damiens bench tests. I managed 500 meters on 180v prius battery before it stopped. Probably a mix of not charged enough and no cooling plumbed in yet. Good luck 🤞
Checked almost every Johu youtube video and didnt find any parameters.
Will check Damian, but there is quite a number of videos. Thought it will be faster to find working parameter set here.
geduxaz

Post by geduxaz »

kieran wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:48 pm My over current issue is evading me, So I started off with some old lead acids at around 96V just to see if I could get the motor spinning, went through all of the steps in the FOC video, had it spinning but found I had to have the amp/throttle percentage down very low or id trip to OC, even in manual run mode id find myself current limited at about 40-50amps it would spin any faster then going for 60 amps it would trip, I've switched over to a couple BMW modules at about 140V and now I cant even get the motor to turn before triggering over current....Anyone have any hints on where to start?
I believe I hit same issues. was riding with 100V lead batteries, made some wiring cleaning and updated to 215V NMC batteries and hit overcurrent and almost no loaded wheel power :(
geduxaz

Post by geduxaz »

Can this additional ground connection be good solution to all unknown problems?
Now this ground travels from VCU, that is like 1.5 meters away from inverter.
Attachments
ground.jpg
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I,m not home for a few days, but hope these parameters help. I cannot open them from my computer, so hope they are for this topic...
geduxaz

Post by geduxaz »

RetroZero wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:15 pm I,m not home for a few days, but hope these parameters help. I cannot open them from my computer, so hope they are for this topic...
Thanks!
From PinSwap 4 I believe it is not Gen2 inverter.

Can someone confirm that all Gen2 MG2 have same resolver SyncOfs? I believe this offset is preset in factory and if found can be used for all MG2 resolvers?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Correct, gen2 inverter needs pinswap 7.

I haven't found final syncofs for MG2 yet.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Going by Damiens and Johu's video @ 1.17h, SyncOfs @ 10200 is a good start. You can fine tune from there, but should get you rolling. The pinswap obviously has changed with the updates since the video. I will post my parameters on return at the week-end.