BMW E46 320d Japanization

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Clanarn

Re: BMW E46 320d Japanization

Post by Clanarn »

Heating. So my idea for cabin heating is to replace the original cabin radiator with a Renault ZOE ptc. These can be purchased for 100-150eu.
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0176.jpg
Located a "low speed can transceiver" "up to 125k" (TH8053) So if someone has readings of a <125k can bus on the Zoe I would really like to take a look on it=)
Clanarn

Post by Clanarn »

Rolled the dice and purchased a passat gte brake servo. Essentially a Tesla Gen 1 booster. And it actually seems to fit on the e46 when flipped 90° to the right wohoo :P

The E46 master cylinder also kind of fits on the ibooster body. Even has the same bolt pattern as the passat one so I will try to make an adapter plate compensating altered orientation thus keeping it upright. Should be pretty easy. Using the e46 master cylinder no pipe work is required saving allot of money and time.

Let me know if anyone is interested in these adapter plates. If I decide to make them in a cnc it would be affordable to spit out a couple more.
tempImage5SK6to.gif
tempImageKWBi94.gif
tempImageJyLxQb.gif
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Clanarn wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:09 am
The E46 master cylinder also kind of fits on the ibooster body. Even has the same bolt pattern as the passat one so I will try to make an adapter plate compensating altered orientation thus keeping it upright. Should be pretty easy. Using the e46 master cylinder no pipe work is required saving allot of money and time.

I thought about doing the same for my brat. I got a volt ibooster... so it’s huge imperial threads.. compared to the small metric ones on the Subaru. Thread on dmc talk which did exactly this, made an adapter. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1621 ... post263397
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Is the GTE ibooster the same as the tesla one as I’m planning on using a tesla one on my e46 so I can add openpilot later on
Clanarn

Post by Clanarn »

Bratitude - Intresting, Imperial threads on the ibooster body?. Nice thread exactly how I'm doing it=). looks like I have to do some research on the stroke length and cylinder diameter.

Domt177 - I don't have a Tesla ibooster that I can compare with but it looks the same from pictures. Except from the end plate but that would matter in your case. Cant see how bosch would have different castings for different brands. How are you solving steering for open pilot? Also, I'm following your e46 build. Awesome. Have you managed to fit the Tesla motor in the subframe?
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Clanarn wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:18 pm Bratitude - Intresting, Imperial threads on the ibooster body?. Nice thread exactly how I'm doing it=). looks like I have to do some research on the stroke length and cylinder diameter.

Domt177 - I don't have a Tesla ibooster that I can compare with but it looks the same from pictures. Except from the end plate but that would matter in your case. Cant see how bosch would have different castings for different brands. How are you solving steering for open pilot? Also, I'm following your e46 build. Awesome. Have you managed to fit the Tesla motor in the subframe?
okay, might see if the gte one will work with the Tesla ecu so its easier to add openpilot, for steering I'm planning on using a Toyota eps (electric power steering) column mounted somewhere(I think under the dash), and using the ecu from a 2018+ Toyota with their version of autopilot. that's gonna be the hardest part.

motor isn't in yet as I still go to school and have a-levels this year so very little time to work on the car, but hopefully it will be within the next few weeks, looks entirely possible. (follow my twitter for more frequent updates @dzte_ ) also still need to order an open inverter board
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Clanarn wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:18 pm Bratitude - Intresting, Imperial threads on the ibooster body?
seems so. I went ahead and drew up a adapter for a Subaru master cylinder. first quick test print things look alright.

my volt ibooster has 2 different offset mount points for the master cylinder. but only one of the is taped. they look concentric and to be about 28degrees off level.
F052E698-D496-4DCC-8D0B-6EEFA7CB29A1.jpeg
5067C9B5-6CD1-4EC0-B76C-1CF909F94A7F.jpeg
Domt177 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 pm
check out seb from zero ev, hes working on integrating openpilot in to a smart roadster. he developed this ibooster controller
Attachments
subaru_to_volt_ibooster.STL
(131.92 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
subaru_to_volt_ibooster.SLDPRT
(124.88 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components