Retail (non-scrapyard) motors

catphish

Retail (non-scrapyard) motors

Post by catphish »

For a future projects, I'm interested in the possibility of projects using new parts rather than scrap, potentially constructing my own (openinverter) inverter, but does anybody sell 300V+ motors suitable for EV use? I'm a big fan of induction motors, but the only motors I've been able to find are either low voltage (144v or less), or air cooled industrial motors, which weigh dramatically (3x) more than liquid cooled OEM EV motors. Is there a good option I'm missing here?
johu
Site Admin

Re: Retail (non-scrapyard) motors

Post by johu »

I think the Siemens 1PVxxxx motors might be what you think of. I have no idea how to obtain them, though
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
catphish

Post by catphish »

johu wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:46 pm I think the Siemens 1PVxxxx motors might be what you think of. I have no idea how to obtain them, though
Thanks, I'll have a look.
Romale

Post by Romale »

I have started a redesign of an industrial engine. I hope for good results. you can watch it here: viewtopic.php?t=2710
evil neodymium :twisted:
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Zonic motors may be an option (from ZeroEV)
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I have one 28kW motor in my Mazda. They make them for 75Vrms and they work very well with Zapi and Curtis inverters. I can pull some 80kW for a minute before saturating.
My motor was made for air cooling and at high current on the highway it heated up real quick. So i rewound it for 180Vrms where i can use it with 96S system inverters. Now with less current i can ride the highway for much longer before temp saturation...
In the meantime i think they made liquid cooling version too. https://www.fleck-elektroauto.de/
Romale

Post by Romale »

arber333 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:55 am I have one 28kW motor .... So i rewound it for 180Vrms where i can use it with 96S system inverters....
1) what phase cross section in square mm did you get?
2) what currents can the motor withstand and what kind of battery?
3) also, what is approximately the size of the rotor and stator?

I hope this data will help to be a starting point about the capabilities of industrial motors.
evil neodymium :twisted:
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Romale wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:08 am 1) what phase cross section in square mm did you get?
2) what currents can the motor withstand and what kind of battery?
3) also, what is approximately the size of the rotor and stator?

I hope this data will help to be a starting point about the capabilities of industrial motors.
Well, i havent made it myself. A very experienced electromechanic did it for me. I only provided end requirements and motor core.
The way he explained he copied the core and reduced wire thickness between teeth. Reduction was by halfh 1/2.
He told me also it is good to wind a turn into neighbouring phase to keep magnetics dithered. This is why you cant use complete indent unless motor was designed for this.
catphish

Post by catphish »

arber333 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:24 pm Well, i havent made it myself. A very experienced electromechanic did it for me. I only provided end requirements and motor core.
The way he explained he copied the core and reduced wire thickness between teeth. Reduction was by halfh 1/2.
He told me also it is good to wind a turn into neighbouring phase to keep magnetics dithered. This is why you cant use complete indent unless motor was designed for this.
This is super interesting. How much did it cost? A long time ago I was considering getting an industrial motor rewound for lower voltage, but I've since realised high voltage is much better and 230vRMS (european 3 phase) is actually quite a reasonable battery voltage. I never did anything on this in the end though because I started playing with Tesla drive units instead.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

catphish wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:13 pm This is super interesting. How much did it cost? A long time ago I was considering getting an industrial motor rewound for lower voltage, but I've since realised high voltage is much better and 230vRMS (european 3 phase) is actually quite a reasonable battery voltage. I never did anything on this in the end though because I started playing with Tesla drive units instead.
Well i considered 220Vrms at first as it would fall in with 400Vdc battery is promising. But no, you need to consider you need motor in whole area from 300Vdc up to 400Vdc and 180Vrms is much better at this. OI is also very good inverter regarding buck-boost voltage appropriation. If you have voltage overhead you get the same power response regardless of the battery SOC.
Yeah... about cost. I should say i got a discount at 220€ as the guy was super interested in a "small motor" as he put it. He is used to wind up large industrial motors or generators for small power plants. He even made a jig for manual feeding of wire strands.