Jack Bauer

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by Jack Bauer »

Brilliant thanks. Happy to pay for it.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
CCSknowitall

Post by CCSknowitall »

EVconverter wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:02 pm As a not-very-educated-in-electronics person, I'm deeply interested in purchasing whatever shortcuts to CCS charging goodness I can get.

Seems like most people on here are in Europe. I sincerely hope there's a CCS type 1 adaptation that can be had using this method.

Does anyone know if CCS type 1 and type 2 are very different, other than the physical charging connectors?
CCS communications is identical between CCS1 and CCS2. Only the physical port is different. One of the few nice things about CCS.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

muehlpower wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:08 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:56 am At least they are honest about it unlike chademo. Will you be selling those boards muehlpower?
May be. Unfortunately, jlcpcb does not have the transmission amplifier in its range. I can send you a sample if you want.
I would like to buy one from you too :)
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Pashko

Post by Pashko »

muehlpower wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:08 pm May be. Unfortunately, jlcpcb does not have the transmission amplifier in its range. I can send you a sample if you want.
Where is a way to get a Gerber files for this PCB?
windydrew

Post by windydrew »

EVconverter wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:02 pm As a not-very-educated-in-electronics person, I'm deeply interested in purchasing whatever shortcuts to CCS charging goodness I can get.

Seems like most people on here are in Europe. I sincerely hope there's a CCS type 1 adaptation that can be had using this method.

Does anyone know if CCS type 1 and type 2 are very different, other than the physical charging connectors?
I just purchased a 2018 LIM module, the plug components, CCS1 port, and I already have a VCU for my Lexus gs450h motor setup. What else do I need to get this going also?
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

windydrew wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:54 pm

I just purchased a 2018 LIM module, the plug components, CCS1 port, and I already have a VCU for my Lexus gs450h motor setup. What else do I need to get this going also?
Read threw this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1196
and the wiki page, you’ll have a good idea.
Your almost there, you’ll need something for voltage sensing and contactor control. Mulepower has posted a schematic for voltage sensing.

This is not a fully flushed out plug and play system quite yet. So some tinkering and creativity is required.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

muehlpower wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:01 pm i changed my circuit a little and now it's fine. The circuit is required to measure the voltage at the charging connector and to pass it on to the LIM
Sensing.png
What is up with the value R14 in your revised schematic? Is that not used? I copied your schematic and added two relays that have 15 ohm dpak power resistors to keep the LIM contactor drivers happy. Does this look correct? I did presently omit your R14, but will add back pending your feedback.
VOLT_DET.pdf
(33.28 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

jon volk wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 am
muehlpower wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:01 pm i changed my circuit a little and now it's fine. The circuit is required to measure the voltage at the charging connector and to pass it on to the LIM
Sensing.png
What is up with the value R14 in your revised schematic? Is that not used? I copied your schematic and added two relays that have 15 ohm dpak power resistors to keep the LIM contactor drivers happy. Does this look correct? I did presently omit your R14, but will add back pending your feedback. VOLT_DET.pdf
A resistor from TLV6001 pin 4 to ground reduce the output voltage at 0V input, a resistor to 5V increases the output voltage. In my prototypes I installed 220kOhm to 5V and replaced one of the 100kOhm resistors on the input side with 82kOhm, which improved the accuracy.
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

muehlpower wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:17 pm
Sensing.png
What is up with the value R14 in your revised schematic? Is that not used? I copied your schematic and added two relays that have 15 ohm dpak power resistors to keep the LIM contactor drivers happy. Does this look correct? I did presently omit your R14, but will add back pending your feedback. VOLT_DET.pdf
A resistor from TLV6001 pin 4 to ground reduce the output voltage at 0V input, a resistor to 5V increases the output voltage. In my prototypes I installed 220kOhm to 5V and replaced one of the 100kOhm resistors on the input side with 82kOhm, which improved the accuracy.

Thanks for the input and I think that makes sense. Ill re-read through the datasheet to make sure I'm clear. Op-amps are definitely a weak point for me with circuits.
mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

muehlpower wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:17 pm
Sensing.png
I think you're missing a resistor from OUT to -IN on IC2
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

I just kept confusing myself in trying to reverse copy/paste engineer the previous circuit. After spending some time reading through TI application notes and datasheets, I've arrived at the following schematic. I'm referencing how I arrived at these values in hopes it might be obvious where things went off the rails if this does not seem right. Like I mentioned before, opamp circuits are a weak point for me.

Input resistance values and rc filter came from this Excel tool.
https://www.ti.com/lit/zip/sbar013

AMC3301 datasheet
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/amc33 ... 1893508066

App note for single ended input ADC
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sbaa229/sbaa229.pdf

LIM expects 1.43v @ 0HVDC and 4.80v @500HVDC
To get a full range input at 500v, thats 600k ohm with a 294 1% resistor as the divider/shunt/whatever

Since we are only measuring positive DC voltage, that means OUTN will always be 0.
OUTP will be 0 @ 0HVDC and 2.05 @ 500HVDC (.250mv * 8.2 fixed gain)

Based on that, I came up with this revised circuit. In the spreadsheet, the LIM calcs tab has how I arrived at these resistor values based off the formula given in the single ended ADC pdf.
VOLT_DET.pdf
(34.26 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Disregard the label typo. The top HV input should be labeled HV_P
AMC Voltage Sensing Calculator.xlsx
(244.09 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

jon volk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:24 pm
VOLT_DET.pdf
DC DC_HGND must be connected to HGND and not HLDO_IN to HGND.
Since I have connected INN to HGND, I get 1.44 V at OUTP at 0V input. R9 and R10 correct this value down a little so that it fits the LIM. So I don't need an extra voltage divider. I took 270 ohms so as not to need any special resistors, even if I don't fully use the measuring range with it.
The statement that I have 220K to 5V was wrong. It's just like my schematic, with no R14 and with one 82k instead of 100k.
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Ahh good catch on the HGND.

Aside from that, sounds like it will work. Thanks for the added explanation on yours.

Posting the final(?) updated schematics below.
VOLT_DET-HV_ISOLATION.pdf
(32.86 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

jon volk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:40 am Ahh good catch on the HGND.

Aside from that, sounds like it will work. Thanks for the added explanation on yours.

i don't think it will work. OUTP and OUTN are not 0V with an input of 0V, its 1.44V. At 500V OUTP = 2.44V and OUTN = .44V approx
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

muehlpower wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:42 pm
jon volk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:40 am Ahh good catch on the HGND.

i don't think it will work. OUTP and OUTN are not 0V with an input of 0V, its 1.44V. At 500V OUTP = 2.44V and OUTN = .44V approx
Got it, 1.44 centered common mode. Re-doing doing the calculations just needed to replace my R28 with the same 6080 ohm value. Values seem to align close enough and with the parallel resistor circuit, that gives me plenty of options for tweaking in the future. Without this change, it seems values would have been 0HVDC @ ~2.3v and 500HVDC @ ~5v

Thanks for the help.

I’ll post the final files to my GitHub after I’m done. It’s going on a board with an STM32F413 to handle two Volt BMS systems and any other battery related needs. Have the BMS code generally done but untested. Need to port the necessary CCS from Damien over to c/st-hal.
C8F07AA0-BC5D-49E7-82FB-AF89CADC7E57.jpeg
FF4BF179-1399-4566-AAE2-CEF20018B548.jpeg
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Can you add a header for connecting the ST-Link device?

I was thinking embedding the USB ST-Link within each case.
They are €12,-
Impressive work!
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

EV_Builder wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am Can you add a header for connecting the ST-Link device?

They are €12,-
Impressive work!
I actually already moved it to a 4 pin stlink connection since I can’t seem to find my Tag-connect cable.
8372FD07-873C-457C-856C-B2E976179CDF.jpeg
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

jon volk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:55 pm I’ll post the final files to my GitHub after I’m done. It’s going on a board with an STM32F413 to handle two Volt BMS systems and any other battery related needs. Have the BMS code generally done but untested. Need to port the necessary CCS from Damien over to c/st-hal.
Oh I might need to steal borrow this. Seems much better than the hodgepodge of boards in my car now.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Volt bms master and Lim control, yup I’ll take one
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

jon volk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:06 am
EV_Builder wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am Can you add a header for connecting the ST-Link device?

They are €12,-
Impressive work!
I actually already moved it to a 4 pin stlink connection since I can’t seem to find my Tag-connect cable.
8372FD07-873C-457C-856C-B2E976179CDF.jpeg
My idea is to make a small cutout in the casing and glue the link
In the PCB. Or maybe we should populate those 4 wires on an USB mountable connector and make a STLink to USB cable.
Anyway we get access to reprogram and debug then!
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

The pin order I use is the same a blue pill (and that used on the Gen 2 Tesla charger). I made a small IDC cable adapter to plug the cheap STlink clones into without messing with jumper cables. But the files will eventually be available so anyone is free to mod as necessary.
6C32786A-AC3D-416E-AA80-66FD2E0CF6F1.jpeg
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

I don't want to run the 400V across the car, that's why I made the volt measurement as an extra circuit board so that it can be installed directly in the juction box right next to the conntactors.
In addition, the relay and resistors for adapting the locking signal to Chinese charging ports should be integrated.
And another thing. If high charging currents are to be used, temperature monitoring of the contacts in the port makes sense. The charge ports often have built-in NTCs or PTCs
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

In my particular use case, this is in a sealed enclosure next to contactor box ~12" from the charge port.
I may look to try breaking this out as another board that isnt specific my vehicle afterward. I am also using an actual i3 charge port.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Nice work Jon. Please put me down for one once you get some stock.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
opelmanta

Post by opelmanta »

Yes count me in as well. Please when you get chance publish to github :)