Leaf BMS with other battery packs

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
zippy500

Leaf BMS with other battery packs

Post by zippy500 »

Is there any reason why the leaf BMS can not be used in conjunction other OEM 96s battery packs ?

if so does it matter which unit to get ( are there two different units )

Are the connectors and crimps available ?
Isaac96

Re: Leaf BMS with other battery packs

Post by Isaac96 »

Leaf BMS will work for monitoring (its balance capabilities are limited and strange). IIRC all units are the same, there may be some changes in the internal serial communication but CAN seems identical.

Connectors and crimps -- generally one just buys a harness off Ebay. Be careful with your cell wiring!
Extremetaz

Post by Extremetaz »

For monitoring, yes, for Charge control it would likely be suboptimal; for balancing, but for Isaac's comment above I'd have said it should be fine, but I'm not acquainted with the nuance he suggests.
Break it; Fix it; Repeat;
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Isaac96 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:43 pm Leaf BMS will work for monitoring (its balance capabilities are limited and strange). IIRC all units are the same, there may be some changes in the internal serial communication but CAN seems identical.

Connectors and crimps -- generally one just buys a harness off Ebay. Be careful with your cell wiring!

I have a Leaf BMS that i intended to use with different batteries in the stock 96s config, monitoring via Leaf Spy. This news about it not being able to balance is concerning. Any more info Isaac?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

vwbrady wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:58 am
I have a Leaf BMS that i intended to use with different batteries in the stock 96s config, monitoring via Leaf Spy. This news about it not being able to balance is concerning. Any more info Isaac?
I used a Leaf BMS for some time with a stock pack. I was never able to figure out exactly how it chose to balance cells -- Leaf Spy did give information on which shunts were in use, but the pattern seemed arbitrary to me. It's quite likely that Nissan has some sort of sophisticated algorithm which provides good results, I just never figured it out.
Be sure to balance your cells before hooking them up to the BMS anyways; even if it does balance, the shunt current is very low.