E39 Brake Safety

johnspark

E39 Brake Safety

Post by johnspark »

Well the other day my E39 M3 Sports package car was on the hoist to get the brake disks changed. Whilst on the hoist the mechanic showed me that there was a nick in the brake pipe to one of the back wheels. So i asked the mechanic to get replacements for ALL 4 brake pipes to the wheels. This work was done and new brake fluid was installed. I felt good because i had put safety first. Drove home, and on the way home the brake light came on. Got home lifted the bonnet and found half the brake fluid was gone! Gasp! Went back to the garage the next day and had to top up the brake fluid 4 times with Dot 4 brake fluid just to get back to the gararge. Also noticed the brake pedal wanted to go all the way to the floor. By the time i got to the mechanic the brakes were practically gone! Turns out there were two more brake pipes I should have replaced, the two straight ones attached to the ABS system. Please see photo below. So moral of story, it is great using 20 year old classic cars for EV conversion, but watch out on those brake pipes! If you have to replace one, my tip is replaced 6 pipes at the same time! Safe Driving!
Attachments
IMG_3408.JPG
IMG_3407.JPG