Tesla board user manual

Create a thread for each item that needs working on by the community
Jack Bauer

Tesla board user manual

Post by Jack Bauer »

Lots of people seemed to want me to write a user manual for the Tesla boards. Now is your opportunity to do so.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
invokeperformance

Re: Tesla board user manual

Post by invokeperformance »

Here is a quick setup guide I compiled from the forum with the setup schematics, PINOUTs and Trouble shooting FAQs for the Tesla LDU. Some of which will pertain to the SDU also ;)
Attachments
tesla large drive unit Quick setup guide..docx
(292.55 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I am not a Tesla person, but at least as far as this content is concerned, I will be the caveman who can copy/paste/format it into the wiki if that's what we're doing with it.

2 things:

1 - Wouldn't it make more sense to have a SPDT switch for Forward/Reverse so you can't end up in both positions at the same time?

2 - Is the start switch really momentary pushbutton, or is it latching?

Oh, and do you have the source images rather than deal with me MSPainting over top of MS Word captures? ( http://www.imgur.com would be an easy place to upload and link temporarily).
Bentto

Post by Bentto »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:32 am I am not a Tesla person, but at least as far as this content is concerned, I will be the caveman who can copy/paste/format it into the wiki if that's what we're doing with it.

2 things:

1 - Wouldn't it make more sense to have a SPDT switch for Forward/Reverse so you can't end up in both positions at the same time?

Oh, and do you have the source images rather than deal with me MSPainting over top of MS Word captures? ( http://www.imgur.com would be an easy place to upload and link temporarily).
The pictures can be found in the github repository listed in the document. (https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... it?files=1) at least they are higher resolution:)
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:32 am 1 - Wouldn't it make more sense to have a SPDT switch for Forward/Reverse so you can't end up in both positions at the same time?

1: That's how I plan on wiring mine, but others are using a variety of methods for direction selection

2: It's momentary, it's just telling the system, "ok, you can go to the next stage of the start up now" (Damien please correct me if I'm wrong)
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 pm 2: It's momentary, it's just telling the system, "ok, you can go to the next stage of the start up now" (Damien please correct me if I'm wrong)
You are correct. It is a momentary switch. Here's a line quoted from Damiens Pinout guide on github

Starts the inverter when connected briefly to +12v. Typically connected to “Start” position on car ignition switch

In the hopes of keeping this thread focused on the topic of helping Damien create a "Tesla Board User Manual" I think it would be helpful if we started with an outline of topics that need to be covered. If you agree please post short phrases that could be used as topic areas within the instructions.

If you have a bit more time than that, take a stab at doing a rough draft of that topic section and posting it back here. My thought is that we will be pulling together the "raw materials" of outline, concepts and writeups. Then we "hand it in to the teacher" for commentary and corrections. After that we can move to cleaning up the instructions per feedback from Damien and get it posted in the Wiki.
cancer038

Post by cancer038 »

invokeperformance wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm Here is a quick setup guide I compiled from the forum with the setup schematics, PINOUTs and Trouble shooting FAQs for the Tesla LDU. Some of which will pertain to the SDU also ;)
There is no thanks button in the forum. so I want to reply by thanking. thank you. :) :) :) :)
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:32 am I am not a Tesla person, but at least as far as this content is concerned, I will be the caveman who can copy/paste/format it into the wiki if that's what we're doing with it.

2 things:

In the inverter parameters you can make forward/reverse a momentary push button or a SPDT switch. I've done it both ways. I stuck with 2 momentary push buttons one for forward and one for reverse.

Also like someone else already mentioned the start is momentary just like the start position on an ignition switch there's no latching.