Leaf VCU documentation and Front End

Create a thread for each item that needs working on by the community
Jack Bauer

Leaf VCU documentation and Front End

Post by Jack Bauer »

Document the Leaf VCU with wiring diagrams , pinouts and setup instructions.

Upgrade the main firmware and the web front end to allow setup and customisation.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Cookie6000

Re: Leaf VCU documentation and Front End

Post by Cookie6000 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:37 pm Document the Leaf VCU with wiring diagrams , pinouts and setup instructions.

Upgrade the main firmware and the web front end to allow setup and customisation.
Gents
I have spent a lot of time recently getting the VCU running and chasing bugs. As discussed previously with Kevin, here is the current schematic I have running in the Audi right now with a few comments before I write up some installation instructions and there is one or two things need clarifying from the advice in the original Leaf Inverter Hacking video. All the below are based on the Leaf VCU v1.5 code using Inv_Volts measuring bus voltage. ISA Shunt not yet connected.

1. Is it the norm that the VCU, and therefore the Leaf inverter, be powered with 12v perm all the time on the 2 x Dark Green (Pin 4 & 10 inverter harness plug) wires and is this how it is wired up in the E46 and should be across the board? Will there be a drain on the 12v battery is is the current draw negligible in idle state? I measured 80 milliamps just now but wanted to confirm.

2. In the Leaf VCU v1.5 code below, OP3 is assigned the task of 'Inverter Power On'. Unclear however if OP3 is to be connected to Light GN (Pin 33 inverter harness plug) from inverter, currently wired to Pin 2 of the 12 way VCU plug for IGN 12v. From previous comment on the VCU thread, Kevin surmised that Damien had omitted using OP3 in the E46. Should we be sticking to using OP3 for this purpose and aiming to get it working or has the design changed?

3. Negative contactor is controlled by IGN 12v. This is the way I have it in my setup but I know there has been discussion on whether it is controlled by the VCU or not. From a safety point of view, using IGN 12v for Neg contactor control makes sence and should be one of a number of safety features in addition to an inertia switch and emergency 12v cut button in the cabin.

4. Is it necessary to ensure the user makes use of PIN 1 & 2 on the 12 way plug if GND and IGN 12v can be supplied to the Inverter in the engine bay?

Code: Select all

if (T15Status && !Pch_Flag)  //if terminal 15 is on and precharge not enabled
  {
    digitalWrite(OUT3, HIGH);  //inverter power on
    if (inv_volts_local <280)
    {
      digitalWrite(OUT1, HIGH);  //precharge on
      Pch_Flag = true;
    }
  }
  if (T15Status && !HV_Flag && Pch_Flag)  //using inverter measured hv for initial tests. Will use ISA derived voltage in final version.
  {
    if (inv_volts_local>280)
    {
      digitalWrite(OUT2, HIGH);  //main contactor on
      HV_Flag = true; //hv on flag
    }
  }

if (!T15Status)
  {
    digitalWrite(OUT1, LOW);  //precharge off
    digitalWrite(OUT2, LOW);  //main contactor off
    digitalWrite(OUT3, LOW);  //inverter power off
VCU Plug v1.0.jpg
Leaf_Controller_V1Pinout.pdf
(24.48 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
VCU Pinout v1.0.jpg
Attachments
VCU Schematic v1.4.jpg
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
Jack Bauer

Re: Leaf VCU documentation and Front End

Post by Jack Bauer »

1. VCU and isa shunt should have 12v always. Inverter 12v powered on by ignition switch and signal also sent to in1 on the vcu to signal startup. Think about why you might REALLY want that:)

2. see above.

3.neg contactor ALWAYS on igntion switch directly. Think about why you might REALLY want that:)

4.no.
I'm going to need a hacksaw