Toyota Auris and Yaris Inverter Logic board

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Jack Bauer

Toyota Auris and Yaris Inverter Logic board

Post by Jack Bauer »

Setting up a thread for the new logic board for the Yaris and Auris inverter. Based on the V1c Prius board.

Resources and design files on Github :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Yaris-Auris-Inverter

Available on the EVBMW.COM webshop in partial built and full kit format.

17/05/20 : Prototype build commenced at JLCPCB.

28/06/20 : Block 2 boards with corrections to incorrect pinouts and component values now available from the evbmw webshop. https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... -board-kit

UPDATE 24/09/20 Firmware now available to run the buck/boost module as an AC onboard charger:
https://github.com/celeron55/prius3charger_buck

Uploaded schematic and pcb layout to github : https://github.com/damienmaguire/Yaris-Auris-Inverter

Design files available to Patrons only as of this date. https://www.patreon.com/evbmw
Attachments
2020-05-17 13.43.07.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Stephen Darbey

Re: Toyota Auris and Yaris Inverter Logic board

Post by Stephen Darbey »

Hi Damien.

There was some talk in previous discussions that the Auris and yaris Inverters were not compatible with the Prius gen3 one. Can we say for sure that this new pcb is fully O.K. with all of above. As I have a Yaris Inverter I would be crazy not to develop it if so.

Best of luck with it anyway.
Regards
stephen
SDev
kalebludlow

Post by kalebludlow »

Hey Stephen, the Yaris variant you see here is functionally identical to the Ge3 Prius board, its simply a different sized board, and I believe a second very small board that moves a couple components. Damian can confirm
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Well, until the boards arrive and I put one in a yaris inverter and run it on the bench we just don't know. Now in production at JLCPCB.
Attachments
Produce_DanZhi.SMT_Snapshot.Top.2707872A_Y50.SMT020051739893.png
Stephen Darbey

Post by Stephen Darbey »

Great stuff.
That makes perfect sense. Just considering options open to me as I have one sitting there in my 'hideout'. I can send you photos and measurements if required.

Regards
Stephen
SDev
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Stephen Darbey wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:21 pm I can send you photos and measurements if required.
Can I suggest you just hang fire and wait until Damien has made some progress and posted an update? I know you're keen to make a start but he really doesn't need the extra pressure (please see here if you have any doubts about what he's dealing with).
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Stephen Darbey

Post by Stephen Darbey »

Kevin, Damien

There is absolutely no hurry. Didn't even think the word pressure was implied and hovering. Take your time . I have loads to do in the meantime anyway and it's a future project.

Regards
Stephen
SDev
kalebludlow

Post by kalebludlow »

Thanks for the perspective Kevin. I truly appreciate the efforts put in by Damian constantly. Is the Patreon the best way to support the projects financially? Can't give much as I'm effectively unemployed but still want to help out any way I can
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Stephen Darbey wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:30 pm There is absolutely no hurry. Didn't even think the word pressure was implied and hovering. Take your time .
Thanks for the understanding :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

kalebludlow wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:58 pm Is the Patreon the best way to support the projects financially?
We explored this a little (here) and I think it's clear that by supporting them financially we keep them working on the open source projects 8-)
kalebludlow wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:58 pm Can't give much as I'm effectively unemployed but still want to help out any way I can
Please don't feel under any pressure to contribute financially. Contributions to the wiki, documentation, or task list are of equal value :)
kalebludlow

Post by kalebludlow »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:58 pm Contributions to the wiki, documentation, or task list are of equal value :)
I have a Gen3 Yaris inverter and a Gen2 Prius transaxle that I can use to help testing in any way. I am trying to figure out the shift control actuator using my vesc esc, slowly but surely getting it to spin cleanly. If there is any other way I can contribute knowledge I'd love to

I also have a YouTube channel with a few hundred subscribers which will very soon start seeing videos on my conversion project, with the aim being showing the process of using the Prius stuff in an EV conversion. I hope this will allow Damian more time to focus on the actual products and I can maybe do some video stuff that he doesn't feel like doing
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

kalebludlow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:00 am I hope this will allow Damian more time to focus on the actual products and I can maybe do some video stuff that he doesn't feel like doing
All contributions are welcome but it's important to realise that Damien has no interest in developing 'products' but rather proof of concept hardware/software that allows people to make a start quickly (assuming they can support themselves or use community resources effectively).

The best thing you can do to help is build a car and document the process here and in the wiki. The more people that contribute the less dependent we will all be on Damien, Johannes, and other developers 8-)

Lets bring this thread back on topic... we have lots other threads relating to developer support, patreon, etc., where we can discuss this if you wish.
mfox

Post by mfox »

Does Yaris inveter have the same performance as Prius gen 3 inverter ?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

mfox wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:21 pm Does Yaris inveter have the same performance as Prius gen 3 inverter ?
It has smaller main cap. I would assume it can sustain less power. I dont have actual data yet though i have actual Auris and Yaris inverter here.
Tiborx8

Post by Tiborx8 »

Dear Members,

I have a question about the Auris inverter logic board, wondering if any of you can help.

I came across Damien`s video on the Lexus hybrid drivetrain, which gave me the idea that it may be what I need. So, my issue:

I am building a hybrid drive for our sailboat. Maybe an Auris gearbox plus logic board could be a solution. It should work in two modes:
1. starter-generator motor and main motor both work together, driving the propeller shaft
2. starter-generator motor would work in generator mode - coupled with a small diesel engine, while the main motor would work alone turning the propeller shaft.
Basically, I would need an independent control for the starter-generator motor to use it as starter or as generator or also as motor when extra power is needed.
So, could it work with the logic board which is under development?

Also: in Damien`s video I saw that he stopped the starter-generator spinning, so it got coupled to the main motor immediately. However, when he drove the bexus, only one motor (motor2) was working most of the time. What is the logic of the motor1 to kick in?

Very best regards,
Tibor
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Boards are here. And it fits:)
Attachments
2020-05-28 15.43.58.jpg
2020-05-28 15.43.40.jpg
2020-05-28 15.43.37.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Good news , bad news here in Auris/Yaris land.

Good news : Baord fits, works, makes pwm and reads current sensors etc.

Bad news : MG1 resistor divider values are wrong. My fault not JLC. R42 and 42 should be 6k2 not 4k7 and R46 and 45 should be 3k6 not 4k7. The MG2 current sensor socket has the pins reversed. I hacked it up to let the plug go in upside down and it works fine. Another (better) option would be to leave the socket as is and swap the wires around on the plug side.

So in light of this I'll sell this batch cheap. My loss is your gain as they say on the tv shopping channels. Next batch will correct these errors and be priced as the prius board.

Available on the webshop soon.
Attachments
2020-05-29 10.02.27.jpg
2020-05-29 10.02.21.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

CNC machined HV terminal posts now available:
https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... term-posts
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:25 pm Bad news : MG1 resistor divider values are wrong. My fault not JLC. R42 and 42 should be 6k2 not 4k7 and R46 and 45 should be 3k6 not 4k7.
I assume you mean R42 and R41 should be 6k2?

I received the board just now, less than 48h from order, much wow, such thanks.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yes sorry typo. R41 and R42 should be 6k2. I've found tnt deliver to most European countries next day for cheaper than the post office was taking for over a week.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

Little bit of an update on this from my side, I managed to solder everything including replacing the resistors and the reversed MG2 current sensor connector and the IGBT driver board connector.

I think I managed to kill the -5V power supply somehow however. I saw a spark fly on my mg2 connector hack job. I'll order a new one and see how it goes, it's inputs have the correct voltages but there is no output. Also one end of the big connector wants to rest on R107 and R92. I left a little gap for them just in case. Conn 11 was missing from the delivery but I managed to harvest the one from the Toyota board so all good.

The board boots up and wifi has all the interesting things visible but as the -5V looks to be used by the current sensors I won't be able to try spinnage this weekend.

Thank you Damian for the engineering of the board and I find the new long form very detailed walk thrus very helpful so please continue with those!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Conn11 is the external hvil which is not used on the board anyway. I usually file down the plastic of the big idc connector so it fits flat. On my list to move those parts on the next batch.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Managed to get my Yaris inverter fired up today as had to use the spare prius one for the E39. Decided to test it on the Model 3 rear drive unit. works a treat:) Exact same firmware and params as the prius. Now using the new HV connection points on the side.
Attachments
2020-06-10 14.46.58.jpg
2020-06-10 14.46.51.jpg
MX5EV

Post by MX5EV »

Is the current board layout repo the one on the webshop with the error, or has that one been fixed?