Welcome to the forum - please read if you're new

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
SciroccoEV

Re: Welcome to the forum

Post by SciroccoEV »

I've been away from EVs for a few years, but recently returned to the fold. From 1996-99, I used to go out to the USA for 5 or so weeks every year and help prepare a Porsche 914 EV race car. I did a lot of the development work and the performance was enough to convince the last driver, Richard Hatfield, to change career tracks and found an EV company.

I've built several EVs, in particular my 1984 VW MK2 Scirocco back in around 2000. The ancient website is still up; http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
I recently got the Scirocco back and plan to upgrade it with Tesla modules.
Updates should be on my YouTube channel; www.paulcompton.co.uk
NIMMOEV

Post by NIMMOEV »

Hi Folks

Paul from Scotland here :)
I signed up to the forum a few months back & have been absorbing the wealth of information on here in preparation for starting my own project
This is a fantastic forum and has a great community feel about it
I've been interested in the EV scene for a few years now & have played around with a few small projects but I'm now ready to get started on a proper conversion
I'm going to be converting a 2002 VW Caddy van using a Nissan E-NV200 motor and invertor
I will start a thread in the projects section soon guys and share my progress

Cheers

Paul
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

SciroccoEV wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:45 pm I've been away from EVs for a few years, but recently returned to the fold.
Welcome Paul... been a long time since we met at BVS iirc :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

NIMMOEV wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:13 am I'm going to be converting a 2002 VW Caddy van using a Nissan E-NV200 motor and invertor
Looking forward to this build... welcome :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Extremetaz

Post by Extremetaz »

Morning all,

Been lurking for a while now but figure it's about time I introduced myself.
I'm Seán, I'm in North Kildare (Ireland), I've a 2012 Leaf with 287000km on, and on its second traction pack for the last 77000km of that (bought out of a wrecked 131). I just nabbed a 40kWh pack early last week, out of a wrecked 181, which I'm intending to refit using Muxan's kit in the coming weeks.

The original pack presently resides on my garage wall as a domestic BESS (it was ~64%SoH by the time I removed it so no use for traction) supported by Studer and Orion kit. The one I'm about to remove is in good shape barring one weak cell and will refit a Vectrix VX1 and a Mahindra Reva-i. The former I've done before but the latter is harder to find good information on.

I also have Damien's first stab at a conversion tucked away in the corner: a CBR600F2 with dual fork-truck motors and what must be among the original 'openinverter' DC controllers to drive it. It's good for 60mph and smooth to ride although noisy with the chain arrangement it has. It's still running the 48V setup he had in it although I recall him telling me that he'd the brushes advanced for operation up to 110V or so. Haven't gotten around to putting the time into reconfiguring it although I still have aspirations. Too many other projects lined up in front of it at present though.
Break it; Fix it; Repeat;
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking around the forum for a few months (to the point of my significant other rolling her eyes on it) and it’s finally time to introduce myself.

I’m Jaanus from Tallinn, Estonia and have come to electro mobility mostly through concern for the climate emergency. Daytime I work on demand side response for electricity grids.

I have some experience working with electricity, quite deep in IT and can code a little bit (mostly python).

As for my thoughts, I want to convert my 2003 Saab 95 to EV as it’s a really nice car but just drinks tons of fuel. Also I feel like an idiot as the engine blew up beginning of this summer and although I thought about it I felt that I was too inexperienced to attempt a conversion and I was hung up on the fact that it’s hard to convert an automatic. So I had the engine replaced and now am regretting this.

My girlfriend also has a 2003 Mini which I feel would be an easier starter project to learn my lessons cheaper and quicker.

I really love the GS450h approach but as both cars are FWD I want to try Prius transaxle for the Mini and later ideally the Tesla SDU front drive for the Saab. But also if I find out that the Prius units can be driven hard enough to provide a reasonable experience in the Saab I’d prefer that.

I’m currently eyeing a few Lexus CT200h transaxles as they seem to be the same (P410) as Prius gen 3 but much cheaper for some weird reason.

I have a pallet of the EIG C20 cells but am not sure they are ideal especially as I’m in a cold climate and would need battery heating in the winter to not damage them during charging/regen.

I’m attending the intro course in March and definitely want to steer conversations towards more common understanding of reasonably priced conversions to give old but good cars a new life by repurposing hybrid/EV components from damaged cars.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Welcome Jaanus

If you are concerned for batteries in winter, let me tell you, you are lucky. You are just next door to some Lithuanian car dealers that were selling Chevy Bolt 60kW battery. Last i heared there was a deal fo 9K€. Try searching for them. Bolt battery has liquid cooling/heating.
Anyways from experience i had no problems with battery for 5 winters now, as long i kept my car in garage. This winter i am a bit scared as Mazda is sitting outside as i work on my Pug. I am afraid of driving it in sub 0deg and i will install 9W lizzard heates between cell packs. This should keep cells warm during cold nights. I will keep them connected to my EVSE. 12x W= 108W! We will see if thermodynamics counter me at this... I whish i would remember this sooner.
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Hi,

Yes, also probably I bought from this guy from Lithuania my DCDC converter from Volt and everything was good.
I was looking also like Arber about weather according to cells life and thinks about cells heating. I was really surprised, that in Leaf cells are heated only if outside temperature is below -20C deg. I'm wrong or really is like this?
Snufkin

Post by Snufkin »

According to Weber Auto, Leaf cell heaters turn on at -17 °C and turn off at -10 °C, just to keep the electrolyte from freezing
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Snufkin wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:48 am According to Weber Auto, Leaf cell heaters turn on at -17 °C and turn off at -10 °C, just to keep the electrolyte from freezing
What kind of heaters are those? Like blowing warm air or resistance warmth heaters?

Maybe this topic would be worth to transfer to Nissan section?
stan

Post by stan »

Hi all, just checking in, an impressive array of technology stacks here, and nice hosting!
I have an old johannes kit, and like to dabble, but no time for some of the projects here ATM, but just wanted to say what an awesome resource this is! You guys are killing it.
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

I think so - better will be transfer this to Nissan topic.
Inside of battery pack are PTC heaters with small heater controller unit which is powering them directly from HV.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Hello All,

Thought I would introduce myself, I am an Electrical Systems Engineer at an OEM, and have some experience with software development, CAN, Arduino, ESP, etc. General experience in vehicle mechanics etc.

My say I'm extremely impressed with the progress in reverse engineering OEM components to reuse in EV conversions. Looks like it will be a great route to low cost conversions. I'm very keen to get involved in development and testing once I've moved house and got my workshop set up.

I'm now embarking on my journey to an EV conversion, possibly either following the route Damian's looking at to take a GS450h and pull the engine out and supplement with batteries, or a classic mini with perhaps the Outlander or Toyota rear differential. Eventually maybe both!

Will probably create a build thread, with some spreadsheet for vehicle build BoM items. Does anyone have any templates for that type of thing?
jason_arnold

Post by jason_arnold »

Just figured I'd drop a quick introduction here to get my post count up. I'm working with a team in Alberta, Canada to fit a Tesla Model X front SDU into a Factory Five Type 65 kit car. We're a couple months in on the build, but suspect I can't share any pics due to my n00bishness/lack of post count here. My current challenge is refitting Damien's SDU board into the inverter; luckily I have a fair bit of experience with electronics rework, so not anticipating any real problems there :)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

A couple of requests for new forum members :)

Where possible please post photos direct to the forum not via hyperlinks to third party hosting sites. This is to ensure that we don't destroy threads in the future when the third party stops offering free hosting :(

Please add your location to your profile. This helps us give advice that's relevant to your location.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

So...
Hi! I'm Matt. I'm in the USA, in Oregon more specifically. I'm actually not sure how I stumbled upon this site or Damien's youtube channel.
I'm a system administrator / architect by day, and I own a small business writing software for the Motec M1 series of Engine Control Units. I've always loved EVs, and almost had a ~300V Zilla 2K EHV powered 2000 Lincoln LS. Unfortunately between a 100% increase in battery cost, plus my uncle wrecking the car, that didn't happen.

I have the Tesla Model 3 Performance, and that car is an absolute blast to drive. It's my daily driver.

I'm still doing development on the BMW E46 platform for my business. The 2004 BMW 330 I've been talking about in other threads I've had for many years, and that was turbocharged for a few years. But the turbo gave out, and it's back to mostly stock. It's got a funky automated-manual transmission, and I'm working on getting that working with my code and not the stock computer. Once that's done, I'm ready to swap in the EV drivetrain.

After that, I'll put together a 2004 BMW M3 hybrid using the stock S54 engine, and the GS450h transmission. That should be another fun project.

-Matt
DarkwingDuck

Post by DarkwingDuck »

Hi all!

I have been lurking this forum for a while now (and diyelectriccar for years). I have a background in mechanical engineering and have worked both as a design engineer and project manager within the automotive industry. I live in Stockholm, Sweden

I have been looking into starting a conversion for quite a few years now, but have always been held back by the lack of component choice, high price point for AC drive and limited general availability of EV parts. Certification and regulations has also been a big hurdle here in Sweden.

But recently, this DIY drivetrain community have risen and flourished, where one is able to "stand on the shoulders of giants" by re-using existing well-engineered parts from the automotive EV industry, thanks to Johannes, Damien and all the other DIY wizards out there. Last year regulations were also changed in Sweden, making it much easier to turn an ICE car into a road legal EV

Because of this I have finally started the journey of converting my first car! I have a complete EM57 Leaf Engine, a battery pack and lots of aux equipment already in the garage, soon ready to try out Johannes "brain" for the first time. The donor car has not been decided yet, but since I am very fond of my Mazda RX-8, it is very probable that I will buy another one just to convert. The RX-8 is a lovely car and too many of these are met with an early demise because of its amazing but sometimes frail engine. A perfect car for an electric transplant!

I hope to share my learnings with you here in any way that I can. Probably from a mechanical/layout standpoint as I'm a novice when it comes to electrical engineering, at least compared to the gurus residing here.

Project log will be started as soon as work begins on a donor car.

Regards

David
MatthewBate

Post by MatthewBate »

Hello, I'm a new user, and I thought I'd let everyone know what I'm doing here.

My name is Matthew Bate, I live near Goodwood, and I spend around a third of my time in Rome (when I'm allowed).

I'm hoping to start doing conversions professionally and I'll be looking for sales premises soon. I'm booked onto the September course.

I'll start with BMWs, new enough to be able to accept Car Play/Andoid Auto which I feel is essential these days. Basically the cars on this list https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category-bm ... i-retrofit. I'll probably start with my own F01. I'm likely to try a MINI soon too. I'm keen that the cars I build will have some the features people lust over on Teslas such as streamed maps, cameras front and rear, and Spotify.

The workshop is initially at my brother's house in Kent, which is well equipped, but will obviously move when the opportunity arises. I'll grow from turnover; there are too many unknowns to commit too far ahead. My brother is a transplant patient and is fully isolated so he's quite keen to get started.

I'm looking to get involved in the community, hopefully meet some of you if that's possible at Fully Charged. I'm also keen to start buying components, so tag me in to any group purchase opportunities.

I'm ready to start, and I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

DarkwingDuck wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:24 pm But recently, this DIY drivetrain community have risen and flourished, where one is able to "stand on the shoulders of giants" by re-using existing well-engineered parts from the automotive EV industry, thanks to Johannes, Damien and all the other DIY wizards out there. Last year regulations were also changed in Sweden, making it much easier to turn an ICE car into a road legal EV
Welcome to the forum!
If you want you can start writing about the legal situation in Sweden here: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Sweden
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
turnip73

Post by turnip73 »

Hi,
Another lurker here. Working with software development but trained in electronic engineering. Been interested in cars all my life and in recent years diy electric cars. Attended the Electric Car Conversion Course last year. I own a Gen 2 Prius. Currently building a Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller.
roundcrisis

Post by roundcrisis »

Hi there

Yet another lurker here. I am also a software developer, also interested in cars all my life. I have a Renault Zoe, and have very little (lets call it none) electronics experience, but I am very keen on learning about car conversions especially the software side of things, looks like there is room for improvement there.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

turnip73 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 pm Hi,
Another lurker here. Working with software development but trained in electronic engineering. Been interested in cars all my life and in recent years diy electric cars. Attended the Electric Car Conversion Course last year. I own a Gen 2 Prius. Currently building a Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller.
Welcome to the forum (was great to meet you last year) :)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

roundcrisis wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:01 am Hi there

Yet another lurker here. I am also a software developer, also interested in cars all my life. I have a Renault Zoe, and have very little (lets call it none) electronics experience, but I am very keen on learning about car conversions especially the software side of things, looks like there is room for improvement there.
Welcome to the forum :)
Cityel

Post by Cityel »

Hi... hopefully your see a picture of my car...

I'm new and looking to learn how to maintain and look after my car... but more important look to change the battery from lead acid to New modern power..

👍😎

Any help to a newbie would be totally awesome thanks
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Cityel wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:19 pm I'm new and looking to learn how to maintain and look after my car... but more important look to change the battery from lead acid to New modern power..
Welcome to the forum :)
Cityel wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:19 pm hopefully your see a picture of my car...
Unfortunately not. Please attach the photo to your post not as a link to a third party site. Many thanks