Welcome to the forum - please read if you're new

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
johu
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum - please read if you're new

Post by johu »

Hi everyone!

I just noticed that there are quite a lot of new users on this virgin forum. Great! And thank you very much Dima for helping me with the setup.
We don't even know where this is going and I'm sure we will create more forums and categories as we go.

This forum is ad free because many people support it via Patreon

Now just go on and write things :)

Community Rules
  • Stick to facts, do not propagate rumours and myths
  • If you contact the creators directly, make sure to send appropriate funds along with your question. Failing to do so results in bad karma.
Posting hints / FAQ
  • Message seemingly stuck in outbox means recipient hasn't read it yet
  • When quoting someone please quote only the relevant sentences not the entire post with all subquotes and media
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
sonachan1

Re: Welcome to the forum

Post by sonachan1 »

Hey Johannes,

Thanks for starting this forum! I’m working (slowly) on a BMW E46 coupe conversion. Looking forward to some interesting inverter discussions!

Andy
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Finally, I have managed to point openinverter.org here. So the official forum address is now https://openinverter.org/forum
Put the word on the streets :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Merry Christmas everyone :)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Thank you!

Nail his made a Christmas present: https://openinverter.org/files/Huebner_Inverter.pdf

If you want to salvage any other threads: he used a tool called wkhtmltopdf
sfk

Post by sfk »

johu wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:12 pm Hi everyone!

I just noticed that there are quite a lot of new users on this virgin forum. Great! And thank you very much Dima for helping me with the setup.
We don't even know where this is going and I'm sure we will create more forums and categories as we go.

Right now we are on the preliminary address openinverter.ddnss.de but I'm in the process of pointing openinverter.org here.

Now just go on and write things :)

Johannes
Thanks for doing this. I was getting rather dejected hunting through other forums and finding so many promising projects that died years ago and people who don't seem to be part of the scene anymore.

I'm hoping to follow your footsteps Johu with your Nissan Leaf donor.

Sk
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

Hi!

I'll introduce myself too. I'm based in the UK and looking to put a leaf motor in an RX8 as a transaxle. I'm still researching the best way to go about it. If I can get away with controlling it with CAN I will, if not I'm keeping a close eye on your progress :). I want to keep it's performance, so it needs to be able to develop about 150KW. I intend to use it for commuting (about 30 miles/day) and having some fun at weekends.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi doobedoobedo. May I ask where you are in the UK please? I am in the North West near Preston Lancashire, hopefully you may be within a battery packs range :-) All the best. Peter
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

Hi Peter, I'm afraid I'm in sunny Milton Keynes which is a bit of a trek from Preston.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi doobedoobedo. Milton Keynes, damn, too far yet again.... does no-one live 'Up North' anymore, only me ? We are soon to get electrickery up here you know ! Surely that would entice a few ? All the best. Peter
sonachan1

Post by sonachan1 »

Hi Peter. I'm a bit nearer to you in Cheshire. Best, Andy
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Andy. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone :-) Where are you in Cheshire ? I may need to clean my clogs as its all posh down there. Peter
x.l.r.8

Post by x.l.r.8 »

Hi there, I'm professing myself as more of a lurker than a contributor. I am just starting to move away from my welder and calipers and picking up a soldering iron and an old computer with Linux. Its going to take me a while but I'm starting to understand various aspects of coding, in as much as when someone else writes it I can follow along, when I write it I go around in circles until the whole thing collapses and I don't even know where I started. I am a bloodhound for information and if its out there I will find it.
I have migrated from TMC to DIY electric car forums and then to here.
Geographically, London to Toronto and next stop Miami.
If somethings worth doing, its worth getting it wrong a few times first.
Ferlingo

Post by Ferlingo »

Thank you for the forum, some topics are really interesting. I will be moving to Germany and looking for commercial real estate in Frankfurt https://tranio.com/commercial/germany/h ... t_am_main/ to open a garage to rebuild and reconstruct cars. Anybody from Germany here?
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Hi all!
Wickow based. Lurker of projects on youtube and twitter. I have been a rebuilder of projects, anything 2 and 4 wheeled with an ICE for years now but I'm a VAG fiend through and through 😁. An EV conversion has been on the cards for a number of years now and Damien's vlogs have been the biggest inspiration (Thanks Jack 😉). The donor will be of the four rings variety and from early 90's vintage. Coupe or Avant.... as yet decided 🤔.
Hope to get cracking later this year if I get a good price for the children so they are out of the way so I can spend all my quality time on the conversion 😂.
Thanks guys!
Fiachra
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Can we move this topic out so it's no longer buried in general? A couple of people on twitter have told me they registered on the forum but didn't know where to say hello :(
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Where would you like to see it?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

johu wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:19 pm Where would you like to see it?
Why not make it visible when you're at the top level in the section you call 'General'?

index.php

Events and Meetups

Projects

General

Classifieds

Welcome to the forum
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Denneychris

Post by Denneychris »

Hi

Chris here, from southwest Michigan. Also very likely to be just a lurker. So thank you in advance for the help.

I don’t have a vehicle yet, so I don’t have a “[vehicle brand] project” name for it. I’ve been gathering odds and ends for it however. Scored six mg100q2ys42 IGBT’s out of some old vfd’s along with caps, heatsinks, and other odds bits. Most recent find was a GE 500v 20hp dc motor. That’s a bit larger then I wanted for my first ev go, but couldn’t beat the price and it was refurbished, then warehoused for sometime before I found it, basically new!

Thank you again for the reading
-Chris
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Just registered on this forum and it really is a breath of fresh air. The content is current and I now haven't got to hunt around the web for breadcrumbs of information as most of my questions are already answered here.

I will start a new thread with my build shortly. Thanks!
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
tmotion

Post by tmotion »

Hi all,

Tijmen from the Netherlands here. 10 years ago my wife and I bought a Volkswagen T3 campervan. After years of bodywork welding, the bare body is painted and we decided to convert this van to an EV. In the past I used to work for an electric vehicle manufacturer so I know my way around (more or less). I'll startup a specific project topic once everything is set. Finance for the project is secured, now I only need to cleanup my workshop and make room for this conversion job (and find time of course). Plans so far (some parts already bought, some works already in progress):

-Tesla SDU
-2x Tesla gen2 charger
-Hopefully CCS one day, otherwise 22KW for now since Chademo in Europe is not really future proof
-10 or 12 Tesla 6.2kWh modules (with avg. 80kmh aiming for 200-300km range) (Cd is 0.51 instead of 0.25 tesla)
-BMS tbd (Simpbms or orion)
-heated windshield + heated seats
-PTC heating
-600w solar panel on poptop for daily 12V batteries during of-site camping (no need to keep tesla pack alive and connected)
-12V and 230v circuit inside
-motor and battery cooling similar to Icebreaker T2 van
-full brake upgrade with bigger brakes from Audi S8
-Suspension upgrade with custom springs and adjustable konis
-all necessary safety features (my family sleeps in it). Safe Battery pack design with possible extinguishers, try to copy same tesla safety design philosophy etc.

I'll keep you posted and I look forward learning and contributing to this forum!
davidwagstaff

Post by davidwagstaff »

Hi All,

I'm David,from South west England.

I teach EV and hybrid repair to Vehicle technicians. My background is electronics and 30 years dealer and independent Automotive workshop.

Been following Damien's adventure for a couple of years now.

Would love to build a few projects to demonstrate on courses.

I have access to many scopes and test equipment and have been using Picoscope, 3 phase current clamps and differential probes to measure current and voltage from vehicles under test.

Cheers
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hi,
I'm Russell from S Wales.
I have worked on a several electric kit car conversions and also restored a few things like the Elcat post vans from an almost scrap condition a few years ago. They were all DC lead acid based systems so very different to reappropriating commercial car equipment and battery packs that are available now.

My current dream is to make a lightweight but reasonably capable vehicle. Maybe using one of the synergy drive controlers from Toyota and the rear transaxle from the Lexus RS400 or similar.
plugbug67

Post by plugbug67 »

Hi,

Also new here I have a few IGBTs from the Azure lot years back been meaning to use them. I have a bunch of the SKiM606GD066HD and a few SKiM909GD066HD devices all new in sealed packing. They are good for 650V and 550 and 900 amps respectively. Not sure the Gate drive here would work on them or not but trying to figure that out. I suspect they'd be good for an inverter or two! I'll post info on Classifieds if anyone else wants to use them. My vehicle currently is a PT Cruiser with Warp9 and single IGBT pwm controller. New ride is getting refreshed its a 67 VW Bug would like to run on AC motor.

Steve
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Welcome :)
Some nice modules you've got. Checked the data sheet, the 600A one works well with 5 Ohm resistance of the OI kit. You should certainly keep one, looking forward to the remaining ones in the classified section.