Could this proposed UK govt regulation outlaw EV conversions?

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
mikeselectricstuff

Could this proposed UK govt regulation outlaw EV conversions?

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -tampering
Tackling tampering

We will create new offences for tampering with a system, part or component of a vehicle intended or adapted to be used on a road. This will enable us to address existing gaps in the legislation, ensuring cleaner and safer vehicles. We will also create new offences for tampering with non-road mobile machinery (NRMM) and for advertising ‘tampering’ services or products.

This will strengthen our ability to enforce compliance in this area.

We are aware that the Law Commissions in both their first and third consultations on automated vehicles have considered tampering. We await their final recommendations and would welcome views on our proposals, as follows.

Specifically, we would look to create:

a specific offence for supplying, installing and/or advertising, a ‘tampering product’ for a vehicle or NRMM – this would apply where a principal effect of the product is to bypass, defeat, reduce the effectiveness of or render inoperative a system, part or component (the product may be a physical part or component, hardware and/or software)
a specific offence for removing, reducing the effectiveness of, or rendering inoperative a system, part or component for a vehicle/NRMM and advertising such services
catphish

Re: Could this proposed UK govt regulation outlaw EV conversions?

Post by catphish »

Fortunately, the law they are actually proposing would seem not ban tampering at all, only ban "tampering products", ie off the shelf systems sold for the specific purpose of tampering with existing systems. In theory, this could make something like openinverter boards illegal, but since they're never intended to be installed in a Tesla, I can't think how it could apply.

In my opinion, the purpose of this law will be to target people selling "speed limiter de-activator chip", or "emissions warning light disabling cable", not serious vehicle rebuilds. However, while I don't think this is cause for immediate concern, it is obviously the first step towards a ban on vehicle modification, which seems inevitable in the long term.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

If you think its bad in the UK Ireland is a joke. Almost everywhere is advertising dpf deletes, diesel "tuning" etc. I'm often behind modern diesel cars that spew black smoke under acceleration and yet pass inspection. Crap like this will certainly help the vested interests who want us all to be safe. Safe of course in this case means under their control. Good news is that few if any such laws are ever applied retrospectively so convert now:)

Edit : Back in 2010 when I brought my first conversion for inspection it failed on emissions because there were none and computer said no. Took 3 months to get over that little hump.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
mikeselectricstuff

catphish wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:47 pm Fortunately, the law they are actually proposing would seem not ban tampering at all, only ban "tampering products", ie off the shelf systems sold for the specific purpose of tampering with existing systems. In theory, this could make something like openinverter boards illegal, but since they're never intended to be installed in a Tesla, I can't think how it could apply.

In my opinion, the purpose of this law will be to target people selling "speed limiter de-activator chip", or "emissions warning light disabling cable", not serious vehicle rebuilds. However, while I don't think this is cause for immediate concern, it is obviously the first step towards a ban on vehicle modification, which seems inevitable in the long term.
I only quoted the first paragraph, the rest goes on to say :
a specific offence for removing, reducing the effectiveness of, or rendering inoperative a system, part or component for a vehicle/NRMM and advertising such services
a specific offence for allowing for use or providing a vehicle or NRMM that has had the operations described in the previous 2 points performed on it
It is obvious what they are aiming for, but there is a risk of unintended consequences.
I just submitted a response to their survey, and one of the things in there was some stuff about definitions.
It was something like "part or component" is "anything which impacts emissions, safety or security" - I suggested this should be "negatively impacts", as the original definition would also prohibit improvements
mikeselectricstuff

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:46 am Good news is that few if any such laws are ever applied retrospectively so convert now:)
"..a specific offence for allowing for use or providing a vehicle or NRMM that has had the operations described in the previous 2 points performed on it"

Could potentially impact existing vehicles.