Looking for rear differential with built in electric motor, like Lexus 450h.

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Zapatero

Looking for rear differential with built in electric motor, like Lexus 450h.

Post by Zapatero »

I'm thinking of converting a impreza GC8 to an EV. It had AWD and i would like to keep it that way. The Tesla-Motor is too big to fit as the links of the rear axle are really long. So i need a smaller motor. Had a look at the 300h, 400h, 450h Lexus RX differentials which look perfect for the job, but they are only rated 50kw.

Does anyone know other vehicles with rear differentials that have a built in motor that are higher rated?

Thanks, Philip!
Isaac96

Re: Looking for rear differential with built in electric motor, like Lexus 450h.

Post by Isaac96 »

Outlander rear motor? ~60kw motor hooked up with ~7.0:1 ratio to diff.
Control via CAN (not sure if anyone has an 'official' vcu for it), or use a Prius inverter.
9300rpm max according to wiki.
Bratitude

Re: Looking for rear differential with built in electric motor, like Lexus 450h.

Post by Bratitude »

I’m working on some replacement stub shafts flanges for the leaf gearbox, they’ll be a 2 part assembly. the stub shafts will be leaf to Subaru 25spline. Then a vw flange with Subaru 25.

the leaf gearbox with these stubs should fit in the gc8 rear end
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Isaac96 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:05 am Outlander rear motor? ~60kw motor hooked up with ~7.0:1 ratio to diff.
Control via CAN (not sure if anyone has an 'official' vcu for it), or use a Prius inverter.
9300rpm max according to wiki.
I bet outlander RWD can manage 100kW. Also revs are not limited to stock as we have seen already.
I am working on the code for my DUE shield to control everything outlander. I am currently working on the heater. But someone has already figured out the motors.